Hey guys, I'm trying to look into some good pedals for punk music. Any recommendations? Thanks
Distortion

That is all...

Also: Budget? How heavy are you going? ideas? bands you like?
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Yeah, punk is a pretty straightforward genre. A little bit of grit in your signal path might be what you're looking for. Go for a distortion... the Rat always seems like it fits that mold well... some like a Boss DS1 or DS2... other than that, not too much to do in punk. Maybe you could work some slight delay into something or a slight bit of another modulation effect like slight phase or chorus?
I turn my 15 watt amp to full everything and that's my punk setting.
I may not have a brain, gentlemen, but I have an idea...
Natural tube amp distortion and possibly an overdrive pedal for extra boost or fuzz if it's early punk like The Stooges, should be enough. I assume by punk, you're talking about Sex Pistols, Bad Brains, and Ramones and stuff, nothing with too much (or any) effects. Other subgenres of punk might be a different story, though.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
a good distortion pedal should do it
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Depends.

Hardcore: A Tubescreamer or a Rat for a boost, and maybe some modulation if you play surf punk. I like delay cause its fun as hell.

Real punk: Fender and a MXR Distortion+, maybe a Vox wah and a fuzzface for Stooges stuff. That's all you really need. The rest is just stuff to play with.

No rules in punk.
the Boss BD2 is great for Punk stuff. i think Billy Joe from Green day uses one as a boost, but they sound good by themselves. a Big Muff wouldn't be a bad idea either. If you want a better fuzz with the same sounds as a BM, check out the Swollen Pickle MKII from Way Huge.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Basically punk rock /punk is generic distortion . marshall jcm 800/ 900 /dsl and mesa dual rectifier are popular .

the best distortion that has a lot of gain and nice chunky palmmuting is IMO the MI audio crunch box ... beat the ds-2 , ds-1 . its label as a JCM in a box and sound very good for 110 $ . by far my favorite pedal . its defenatly the sound of green day dookie and other pop punk band and some skate punk .

if you want low gain and more overdrive sound , i would suggest a simple Ibanez ts-7 ( its far from the best overdrive ) but it cost only 30-35 $ and does a great job . the HOT setting had a midrange overdrive that sound good .

you best bet is the MI audio crunch box . its hard to find a pedal that make the palmmuting come out that nice . and has a lot of gain .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Oct 4, 2009,
Quote by Skysc
Basically punk rock /punk is generic distortion . marshall jcm 800/ 900 /dsl and mesa dual rectifier are popular .

the best distortion that has a lot of gain and nice chunky palmmuting is IMO the MI audio crunch box ... beat the ds-2 , ds-1 . its label as a JCM in a box and sound very good for 110 $ . by far my favorite pedal . its defenatly the sound of green day dookie and other pop punk band and some skate punk .

if you want low gain and more overdrive sound , i would suggest a simple Ibanez ts-7 ( its far from the best overdrive ) but it cost only 30-35 $ and does a great job . the HOT setting had a midrange overdrive that sound good .

you best bet is the MI audio crunch box . its hard to find a pedal that make the palmmuting come out that nice . and has a lot of gain .

for around $35, why not spring for something like a Bad Monkey or a Danelectro Cool Cat
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Skysc

Or, you could do this:

-Epiphone G-400 ($300 used)
-Laney AOR ($350 used)
-Bad Monkey ($30 used)/Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive ($30 used)
-Cables ($20ish)

For about $700 you could have a giggable rig for hardcore. Fuck those $150 distortions.

-Agile AD-201 ($250)
-Hot Rod Deluxe ($400 used)
-MXR Distortion+ ($30 used)
-Cables ($20)

$700 for more old school Johnny Thunders/Voidoids punk.
Quote by Jhachey22
for around $35, why not spring for something like a Bad Monkey or a Danelectro Cool Cat

i havent tried any of these .. but the ts-7 has 2 mode one with a ts-9 .. and the Hot mode which is a very midrangey medium overdrive .

i dont know if the cool cat or mad monkey has enough drive to make a stand alone pedal . the ts-7 has .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
^ They do, especially the Danos. Cool Cats are great pedals.

Just rememeber to only buy them used.
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Oct 4, 2009,
Quote by The_Bosstone
Or, you could do this:

-Epiphone G-400 ($300 used)
-Laney AOR ($350 used)
-Bad Monkey ($30 used)/Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive ($30 used)
-Cables ($20ish)

For about $700 you could have a giggable rig for hardcore. Fuck those $150 distortions.

-Agile AD-201 ($250)
-Hot Rod Deluxe ($400 used)
-MXR Distortion+ ($30 used)
-Cables ($20)

$700 for more old school Johnny Thunders/Voidoids punk.

the guy only ask for a pedal .. so i wont suggest him a ful lset up . the Mi audio crunch box is a great pedal for the price and is the perfect pedal for pop punk /punk rock stuff or anythign that sound high gain marshall sound .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
the older punk i listen to was just a borrowed guitar into a borrowed amp. it didn't have the 'pleasing to the ear effect', especially when they didn't want that effect back then. now you have good tonal production, you can get by with a good guitar into a great amp and i feel that will be most convincing.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae