Im soon going to get a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 head but i dont know anything about cabs to use with them. What impedence of Cab would i need for this Amp head and if the cab is eg 100 watts do you need a 100 watt head???

What does any of this mean?

Ive looked at cabs and dont know if any of these work with the head but how about:
Framus FR212CB
Harley Benton G212vintage

Will either of these cabs work or would i need a different impedence?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
You need a cab that can handle AT LEAST the power of your head. I would get one that can handle a lot more so if you push your amp hard nothing can break. Impedences should be matched to keep it simple. Check the back but the head should have at least 8 and 16ohm out, so both those cabs would I think be fine
Quote by ProgFolk12
You need a cab that can handle AT LEAST the power of your head. I would get one that can handle a lot more so if you push your amp hard nothing can break. Impedences should be matched to keep it simple. Check the back but the head should have at least 8 and 16ohm out, so both those cabs would I think be fine

Thanks a lot.
Do you know any good cab makes with a sort of vintage hard rock/metal sound that is easy to get from th UK
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
alright lets start simple. the amplifier head dictates the specs of the cabinets. so you get the head and then you find the cab that works with it. one sec while i look up yer head...

well it looks like there is a 50 watt and a 100 watt version, and most marshalls expect 16 ohms of impedance. so lets go worst case and say it is a 100 watt @16 ohm head. then you will need a cabinet that can handle at least 100 watts and that has an impedance of 16 ohms.

as far as what it means:
power handling: the amount of intensity of an electrical signal that can be safely converted to an audio signal. this is usually dictated by the voice coil specifications, the voice coil is the thing that reacts with the permanent magnet on the speaker and effectively moves the speaker cone. if this is moved beyond it's normal operating specs than it damages it(kinda like over stretching a rubber band)

impedance: if you use the hydraulic analogy with piping and water pressure, then impedance would be the amount of back pressure that amp is expecting to work optimally.

as far as any of those cabs working, well there should be a couple of outputs on the back of your marshall(i can't find any pics of the thing that show what i want). if one of the outputs is 8 ohm, then you can use either of those cabinets. you would be better suited with a 16 ohm, but as long as you have the 8 ohm out on the amp then you are 100% fine.

edit: i take too long
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
alright lets start simple. the amplifier head dictates the specs of the cabinets. so you get the head and then you find the cab that works with it. one sec while i look up yer head...

well it looks like there is a 50 watt and a 100 watt version, and most marshalls expect 16 ohms of impedance. so lets go worst case and say it is a 100 watt @16 ohm head. then you will need a cabinet that can handle at least 100 watts and that has an impedance of 16 ohms.

as far as what it means:
power handling: the amount of intensity of an electrical signal that can be safely converted to an audio signal. this is usually dictated by the voice coil specifications, the voice coil is the thing that reacts with the permanent magnet on the speaker and effectively moves the speaker cone. if this is moved beyond it's normal operating specs than it damages it(kinda like over stretching a rubber band)

impedance: if you use the hydraulic analogy with piping and water pressure, then impedance would be the amount of back pressure that amp is expecting to work optimally.

as far as any of those cabs working, well there should be a couple of outputs on the back of your marshall(i can't find any pics of the thing that show what i want). if one of the outputs is 8 ohm, then you can use either of those cabinets. you would be better suited with a 16 ohm, but as long as you have the 8 ohm out on the amp then you are 100% fine.

edit: i take too long

marshall dsl booklet Page 5!

It has a 4,8 and 16 ohms socket

it says something about parralell jacks what does this mean.
Also if the harley benton cab is 16ohm at stereo will it go in the 16ohm or two individual 8ohm sockets???

Im a total noob
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
parallel and series are ways of wiring components together in a circuit, they make the circuit react differently. for example 2 8 ohm loads in series is 16 ohms, and 2 8 ohm loads in parallel is 4 ohms. i would only worry about this if you plan on running more than 1 cab with the head.

both of the cabs above you mentioned will work with this head, just use the 8 ohm output on the head to go to the mono input on the cab.

Also if the harley benton cab is 16ohm at stereo will it go in the 16ohm or two individual 8ohm sockets???

the 8/4 ohm sockets seem switchable, so you should have a set of 8 ohm sockets that can be switched to a set of 4 ohms sockets via a selector switch(guessing again). if you run one of those out at 8 ohms to an 8 ohm cab than it matches impedance. but you have 2 jacks for the output that are run in parallel, so if you run both 8 ohm outs then you would need 2 16 ohm loads to make the 8 ohm expected impedance(2 16 ohm loads in parallel is 8 ohms). i know this sounds confusing so just stick to 1 cab right now and run it out of 1 of the 8 ohm jacks.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
parallel and series are ways of wiring components together in a circuit, they make the circuit react differently. for example 2 8 ohm loads in series is 16 ohms, and 2 8 ohm loads in parallel is 4 ohms. i would only worry about this if you plan on running more than 1 cab with the head.

both of the cabs above you mentioned will work with this head, just use the 8 ohm output on the head to go to the mono input on the cab.

the 8/4 ohm sockets seem switchable, so you should have a set of 8 ohm sockets that can be switched to a set of 4 ohms sockets via a selector switch(guessing again). if you run one of those out at 8 ohms to an 8 ohm cab than it matches impedance. but you have 2 jacks for the output that are run in parallel, so if you run both 8 ohm outs then you would need 2 16 ohm loads to make the 8 ohm expected impedance(2 16 ohm loads in parallel is 8 ohms). i know this sounds confusing so just stick to 1 cab right now and run it out of 1 of the 8 ohm jacks.

OK thanks should i save for the framus or the hb g212v because they both have the same wattage/speakers/mono ohms/size
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
both look equal in quality, i'd say go with whichever gives you a better feeling. they have differing dimensions but seem to have about the same amount of dead air space(more internal dimension in a closed back cab will help with low end a bit more if that is what you desire, then i would look for one more along lines of an orange cab).

framus: 76 x 47 x 28 cm = 100,016 cc
benton: 74 x 52 x 30 cm = 115,440 cc
orange: 78 x 53 x 38 cm = 157,092 cc

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
both look equal in quality, i'd say go with whichever gives you a better feeling. they have differing dimensions but seem to have about the same amount of dead air space(more internal dimension in a closed back cab will help with low end a bit more if that is what you desire, then i would look for one more along lines of an orange cab).

framus: 76 x 47 x 28 cm = 100,016 cc
benton: 74 x 52 x 30 cm = 115,440 cc
orange: 78 x 53 x 38 cm = 157,092 cc

Probably will look into the harley benton and orange as they have the specs that i desire. is there anywhere in the UK to try HBs cabs because they r based in germany so dont know how to get one.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
i am US, so i can't really help you there. try and find one with comparable specs and play it. usually venders like HB don't have distributors, it is one way they keep costs low by cutting out the middle man so it will be hard to actually find one.

edit: orange will also be more expensive(i spent 650 usd on mine, that is like twice as much as the benton), we have copies in the states that are comparable in price to the harley though. you may want to go custom too, you can get a cab pretty cheap and then stuff whatever speakers you want in there. the price will be more, but it will be exactly what you want. that might be for the next cab though, that benton will get you by til you know what you want.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 4, 2009,
Quote by gumbilicious
i am US, so i can't really help you there. try and find one with comparable specs and play it. usually venders like HB don't have distributors, it is one way they keep costs low by cutting out the middle man so it will be hard to actually find one.

edit: orange will also be more expensive(i spent 650 usd on mine, that is like twice as much as the benton), we have copies in the states that are comparable in price to the harley though. you may want to go custom too, you can get a cab pretty cheap and then stuff whatever speakers you want in there. the price will be more, but it will be exactly what you want. that might be for the next cab though, that benton will get you by til you know what you want.

Ill try out some cabs with v30s in them then and probably get the HB then might get a custom after like youve said.
Thanks for all advice!!!!!!!
\m/ \m/
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50