Poll: Do you learn whole songs?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you learn whole songs?
Yes.
118 45%
No, because I'm lazy.
93 36%
No, because it isn't necessary.
49 19%
Voters: 260.
Page 1 of 2
When you learn a new song on guitar (or any other instrument), do you learn every single part of it, or just certain riffs/licks?

Poll up shortly.
When I started playing guitar I learned a lot of riffs. But after time went by I kerned the whole song and now all I do is learn whole songs
I learn songs I like, often till I come to the solopart, which I'm never able to play so I quit instead om learning the rhythm-parts under so, I guess it's half songs for me
Quote by nigeltheginger
Now that, to anyone else who is reading, is METAL

When moshing during my own gig instead of playing guitar
yep, otherwise i just don't bother learning them full stop.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
for playing at home, just the main riff and/or solo, for band practice and guitar lessons the whole song.
████████
████████
████████
I can feel better with myself when I have learned a whole song...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
not usually but if i really like the song then yes
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
I usually just play through once and it's stuck in my memory, but I don't put in any real effort unless someone asked me to play it or something, then I just make sure I've perfected everything.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
once in a while if the song has a good riff or solo i will only play that part but if i really like it ill play the whole song
╔══╗╔══╦╗╔══╦╗═╬╔╦═╦══╗
║═╬╠╩╗╔╬╣║╔═╣╚╦═╬╣╚╬╗╔╝
║╔╗║║║║║║║╚═╣║║╔╣╠╗║║║║
╚╝╚╩╩╩╝╚╝╚══╩╩╩╝╚╩═╝╚╝╬
Mostly parts for fun and stuff, But I also learn whole songs to learn to play tight and in time.
A lot of guitarists forget the importance of playing a song tight and without mistakes.
I learn everything but the solos (unless it's really memorable/can't improv over it). But yeah i just improv over the solos then.
Well, I like to play songs along to the original track, so I learn them completely, if I can at least...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Anymore, if I learn a song, I'll normally just figure out a part of it I like. Then use it to record a loop, layer some more stuff ontop of it, and go crazy.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
I learn the main parts of it. Like the chords and the basic structure, and then I just improv the rest and make my own version of the song. I almost never learn solos, just check what key it's in and make up my own. If it's a song that will help me with a technique then i'll learn more of it. Or just a cool lick or two.
Quote by SG_dave
depends... i normally learn the main riff, and if i'm interested enough, or have to learn the rest of the song i will.

This.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
As I'm currently the only guitar player in my band, I tend to choose some lead parts and some rhythm passages and mix them. Because of that, no time learning every stuff in a song

I don't bother learning every single note in a song, although I was like that when I was starting.
Quote by TheClincher
I give you the lolslope
---
--------
--------------
---------------------

Quote by Trowzaa

I love you.

Not all the time, but sometimes.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
A lot of people rip on me for not knowing entire songs. I just learn a couple of riffs from a song, and the main song if its really interesting or if someone wants to play the song with me. Otherwise, it's not necessary
Quote by Duffman123
When I started playing guitar I learned a lot of riffs. But after time went by I kerned the whole song and now all I do is learn whole songs

This.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Typically yes, i do try to learn the entire song, but sometimes i'll just learn the solo (like comfortably numb) or if the song has one really cool riff (like cemetary gates)
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
When I first started playing, I learned mainly intros, and riffs, but now I play the whole song.

It depends though, some songs have some killer riffs, but then the rest of the song is suckish. So im 50/50
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
i have learned whole songs so far , except this song
led zeppelin --stairway to heaven
i have learned the solo only,rest is boring
but rather than that, i learn the whole parts ,riff+solos
some times, if a song is just complicated, im too lazy to learn it whole,
and if they're easy, then i just learn em' as well
The last whole song I learned was Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden about a month ago.

I was going to learn Lotus by Minus the Bear today, but there isn't any tabs for it on here.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Oct 7, 2009,
Where's the "Sometimes" option?
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
In general no I don't.

I'll pick up riffs and licks I find interesting but generally I've no interest in generic C5, D5, E5 chorus' and verses.
Quote by SG_dave
depends... i normally learn the main riff, and if i'm interested enough, or have to learn the rest of the song i will.

This.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
lately i've been doing albums.
I learn the riffs and improvise the solos. It is a lot of fun.
I'm working on RHCP mars
Quote by The_Casinator
Mostly parts for fun and stuff, But I also learn whole songs to learn to play tight and in time.
A lot of guitarists forget the importance of playing a song tight and without mistakes.

+1
Learning full songs help you tighten up your playing and timing, while limiting mistakes. It can also help you better understand song structure to write your own material too, mainly for transitions, or flow in my case.
Sometimes. If I feel like it.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Page 1 of 2