Page 1 of 2
Ok, I'm looking to buy an amp (seoond hand or not, I don't care) that I could use at home BUT also use for gigging. Needs to be able to give a Led Zeppelin/Jimmy Page kind of tone (early telecaster performances)

I would like it to be easy enough to transport, but also loud enough to play at local venues like cafes, school halls etc, so I dunno, maybe a stack or something?

While I would like a stack (Cause they're awesome!) mobility has come across as priority to me, and I'd like to rethink this, as I reckon I've got a bit sensible about it and realised that it might not be the best idea, because it could shatter my ears in my own home.

My budget is about £300, and I will be using a wah pedal with it, so it needs to recieve that well enough.

My last question is, I'm considering getting a Yamaha Pacifica 112V, would that be an improvement on my 012. some people have been telling me that they sound better than mexican fat strats, I'd just like your opinions on this too.

Thanks, and remember £300
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
Quote by JohnIsMyName
Orange Crush 30? don't know if it's loud enough for gigs, the reviews say it is.

never buy the Crush series. they are the MGs of Orange amps.

for 300, you should look into the Fender Super champ XD.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Ok, right, so I'll definitely look into that.

I have the chance to get a Marshall AVT150 half stack. I think this is hybird or something, so it won't kill my ears as much as a tube stack - what do you think, should I go for it? It is quite cheap.
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Hayden Mofo? (not sure if it is in your range)

Save up a bit more and maybe get a Marshall Class 5.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Ok, right, so I'll definitely look into that.

I have the chance to get a Marshall AVT150 half stack. I think this is hybird or something, so it won't kill my ears as much as a tube stack - what do you think, should I go for it? It is quite cheap.

it is not tube at all. Marshall stuck "valve" in the title for the same reason they put the FDD switch on the MGs; to trick people into buying the amps. don't buy an AVT, they sound NOTHING like a real tube amp. Rajouita suggested the Mofo. if you can stand the wait and save up a little more, you'll have a really nice amp that will last for a while as opposed to, say, a series of progressively less-sh*tty amps.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Raijouta

+morenumbersthanIcantype!

30W switchable to around 2W I think it is. Handwired UK made tube amp, round about your budget.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Raijouta

+1

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/index.htm

sounds virtually identical to early led zep, to my ears, anyway. I've been playing a lot more led zep since I got the amp, that's for sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Isn't that like the 10th thread you make about the same thing?
Quote by Dave_Mc
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/index.htm

sounds virtually identical to early led zep, to my ears, anyway. I've been playing a lot more led zep since I got the amp, that's for sure.
This. Although I can't speak from experience because mine isnt here yet.

Quote by Sguit
Isn't that like the 10th thread you make about the same thing?

Yes and he seems determined to get the Valvestate even though everyone tells him its ****. He must still think Marshall automatically = Good.
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Oct 5, 2009,
Quote by Eurozeppelin

i dunno, its tone might kill your ears...

Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
This. Although I can't speak from experience because mine isnt here yet.

ah, did you order it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SimplyBen
Quote by Raijouta

+morenumbersthanIcantype!

30W switchable to around 2W I think it is. Handwired UK made tube amp, round about your budget.

At the risk of looking daft. I would just like to take back my praise of the MoFo for led zep.
A Class 5 would get you everything you need. I say you should get one of those. Or that thing Dave posted. Or even a Brown Note (I think that's what they are) like Gabel has, he's a rock player and that thing sings for him.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Last edited by SimplyBen at Oct 5, 2009,
You could wait till the Marshall MA series comes out... It's a lower end all-tube marshall (no DFX!) and it's quite nice sounding from the clips... I want to try it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno, its tone might kill your ears...

ah, did you order it?
Yeah Last Friday I think.
Flextone? (only cause it's on my GAS list lol)

maybe HT-5, AC4TV (both have to miced for gigs). You wont be getting a stack for 300 pounds and you don't need one anyway. Marshall Class 5/ MA series, Laney LC15 or VC15? Laney Cub series?

Just throwin' out some ideas.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by SimplyBen
At the risk of looking daft. I would just like to take back my praise of the MoFo for led zep.
A Class 5 would get you everything you need. I say you should get one of those. Or that thing Dave posted. Or even a Brown Note (I think that's what they are) like Gabel has, he's a rock player and that thing sings for him.

The one Dave posted and my Brown Note are basically identical. However I woudl HIGHLY recommend it for you!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Hmm ok, thanks

Isn't the Marshall Class 5 supposed to be a tiny amp? Surely it wouldn't be loud enough?

I've been looking into the Vox Valvetronix series at the reccomendation of a friend. Would the 30 watter, 50 watter or the 100 watter perhaps suit my needs?

I'd like to use a Dunlop Crybaby with the amp I get, so it has to take the pedal well.

Another one is the Marshall Haze ministack - any use, and is it loud enough?

I've looked into the MA series, I'd really like to get one of those, but when are they coming out, and how much do you think they'll be?

Thanks, please post your views...
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Hmm ok, thanks

Isn't the Marshall Class 5 supposed to be a tiny amp? Surely it wouldn't be loud enough?

Never underestimate the power of the tube amp...5 watts valve is pretty damn loud, but possibly not for gigging.

I've been looking into the Vox Valvetronix series at the reccomendation of a friend. Would the 30 watter, 50 watter or the 100 watter perhaps suit my needs?

Those are nice amps, not a bad option really, with a lot of tweaking me and one of my friends were able to get a great Zeppelin tone out of it. If you can find one of the older models used (the AD ones), go for it, but for gigs you would probably need the 100W, the 30 won't cut it and the 50W would probably be borderline. I heard the newer VT models weren't as good.

I'd like to use a Dunlop Crybaby with the amp I get, so it has to take the pedal well.

I wouldn't worry about this, I played the GCB model Crybaby through my old Frontman and it sounded just fine.

Another one is the Marshall Haze ministack - any use, and is it loud enough?

I played one of these a few weeks ago, it's a pretty nice amp but it would need a lot of tweaking (or maybe a speaker swap) IMO to dial in a zeppelin-esque tone. Besides, I don't think it's quite in your budget.

I've looked into the MA series, I'd really like to get one of those, but when are they coming out, and how much do you think they'll be?

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/marshall-launches-ma-series-amplifiers-222453
Probably won't be in your budget...

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Thanks for that, it was an amazingly helpful answer!

Anyway, all in all, which amp would you reccomend?

If it's a good choice, my parents have said they'll buy me the Peavey Windsor Half stack (Peavey Windsor head, Windsor 4x12 cab) or the Windsor head and a Marshall 1960A, should I get that for my birthday?

Anyway, what do you think to this, and should I get the Peavey cab with it or the Marshall 1960A 4x12?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

I think that will be WAY too big. I'd get the Valvepower. I gig a lot with my 18watter and always hav eto pull the volume down with the power scale, there's a lot of volume in there. They aren't that heavy and a 1x12 or a 2x12 will be more than enough. It will sound AMAZING to, listen to the one in my sig.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Ok thanks, so would that be compatible with the Marshall 1960A? I know it's bulky and heavy, but I have the chance to get one very cheap (£70)
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Ok thanks, so would that be compatible with the Marshall 1960A? I know it's bulky and heavy, but I have the chance to get one very cheap (£70)

Of course. It will work with any cab.

That is a steal, though it's a bit big. Can you link us? Want to check so there's no faults with it.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Sorry, it's not on the internet. My friend was going to sell it on trade it (our local paper), but asked me first. I've been to see it. It looks fine except for, I think the front has two tiny tears, and there's a long chalk mark on the back. He's a bit stupid really, I must say, to sell it at that price, but I think he needs the money.

Anyway, I haven't actually plugged it in, but I'm pretty sure it's working, (he says it is) what do you think?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Ok, I will, I'm seeing him tommorow. I don't think he'd have removed them and modified the cab, so I'm 99% percent sure they're original, and what do you mean which 1960? It's the 1960A if that's what you mean?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Hmm - should I make an offer on this? It's the AD100VT Vox Valvetronix, nice modelling amp recommended on this very thread.

My only questions are, will it give me an accurate Zeppelin tone? The other is should I bother forking out loads for the AD100VT when I can just have the current model, or is it actually really worth the difference, thanks.
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Eurozeppelin, you need to think about this. If you want a badass rock tone get the 18 watter. If you think you're going to need (a lot) more versatility go for the VT. Although personally I'd just go for the 18 watter, they sound amazing
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

You say you want Zeppelin? Get the 18watter. I LOVE Led Zeppelin and they are among the stuff I play the most. Just have a listen to the clip in my sig. That's an 18watter and me playing two Zep songs (Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love).

The Vox is nice, but if you just want a rock tone,t he 18watter blows it out of the water.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

sorry i didnt read through any of the other posts, but there is only one answer here:

PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Yeah Last Friday I think.

sweet I hope you like it

Quote by SimplyBen
Eurozeppelin, you need to think about this. If you want a badass rock tone get the 18 watter. If you think you're going to need (a lot) more versatility go for the VT. Although personally I'd just go for the 18 watter, they sound amazing

Quote by Gabel
You say you want Zeppelin? Get the 18watter. I LOVE Led Zeppelin and they are among the stuff I play the most. Just have a listen to the clip in my sig. That's an 18watter and me playing two Zep songs (Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love).

The Vox is nice, but if you just want a rock tone,t he 18watter blows it out of the water.

+1, the 18 watter is great for led zep, but the vox will be more versatile- but the 18 watter will have better, more authentic, tone for classic rock, by far. Depends on what you need, basically. Should work with that marshall cab too, just check it over, as gabe said, to make sure it's ok.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm, I don't know though, cause' if I get the Valvepower, and my friend's Marshall 1960A 4x12, plus the courier for the 18 watter, plus a speaker cable, that works out at over £400! I can't afford that!

I've watched your clip twice, Gabel. You're a good guitar player, and it sounds awesome! I just don't know where I'm gonna come up with the money for this stuff.

What can I do?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Didn't you say your parents were putting some money towards it for christmas? Save money until christmas and I think you'll probably get into that kinda territory

You're better to wait and get something much better than settle for something average just because you don't wanna save.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Hmm, I don't know though, cause' if I get the Valvepower, and my friend's Marshall 1960A 4x12, plus the courier for the 18 watter, plus a speaker cable, that works out at over £400! I can't afford that!

I've watched your clip twice, Gabel. You're a good guitar player, and it sounds awesome! I just don't know where I'm gonna come up with the money for this stuff.

What can I do?

My tip is to save up a bit. You could buy somethign for £300. Sure ti will take time. But you'll spend less money in the end. An 18watter is an amp you can use your whole life.

Quote by InanezGuitars44
sorry i didnt read through any of the other posts, but there is only one answer here:

PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
PEAVEY CLASSIC 30

It isn't. If so a Laney VC30. He's in the UK=Pevaey has a horrible value.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

You really think the 18 watter is an amp I can use forever? That's interesting, but surely it would break down after a few years?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Eurozepplin are you definite you want a stack? I might be selling a JCM900 that can hit some pretty decent classic rock tones. It's just not for me

It's a 1x12 does very well for gigs and such. If interested PM me it's around your budget

/advertising. (apologies if this is against the rules just seems like it might be a good amp for him)

Gabe the 18 watter is just 1 channel isn't it? Would it keep up to a 100W solid state?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Page 1 of 2