Y'know like Phil Anslemo? Where it's not screaming it's just harsh?
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
be awesome like phil anselmo? there are few as awesome as he, so good luck...
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
you could develop a full blown scream then back off on the harshness.
Self proclaimed prophets are great people...
*Be Warned, in the end grit will almost always shred your chords*

The technique for getting grit into your voice is hard to do. It's the same concept as screaming, but with out the actually screaming..... It's possible to do without shredding your chords but I dont really know how to go around explaining it, I know melissa cross mentions it on ZOS1 in the fire chapter, but doesn't really go in depth.

In short it's possible to do without shredding your voice, but unless you know someone (Such as a qualified vocal coach) you'll probably end up ****ing your voice up. Youtube really won't help much here, and I would be wary of anything on youtube about at, simply because theres so much wrong info out there.

Perhaps axe can explain further?
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Oct 4, 2009,
If you try to sing with harsh vocals without proper breath support you will **** your throat up very quickly.

If you try to sing iwth harsh vocals (all the time) with proper breath support you will probably **** your throat up in the long run. Some people seem to have the natural ability to do it without ****ing up their throat...
Quote by StonaLemons
If you try to sing with harsh vocals without proper breath support you will **** your throat up very quickly.

If you try to sing iwth harsh vocals (all the time) with proper breath support you will probably **** your throat up in the long run. Some people seem to have the natural ability to do it without ****ing up their throat...

It's not all about breath support, it's about knowing how much to apply, what to do with your throat muscles, etc.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
my audio tutorial advises on how to sound like phil. he uses the "fry" screaming method along with a lot of volume and some attitude (seriously, the attitude is actually really important for pulling it off)

don't listen to stona. thing is with screaming, if you do it right you can do it without hurting yourself and anyone can do it. i taught myself and apparently quite a few other people have as well.
Last edited by z4twenny at Oct 4, 2009,