Soo, I've been thinking about what I want for a next guitar, and I feel like I should step away from humbuckers on this one.

I've been considering a Fender Highway One HSS Strat. My question is, would it be fine for doing some metal? I'm talking like Silverstein, From Autumn to Ashes, Miss May I and Senses Fail metal.

I'm just curious to know if this would fit, because along with metal I like to play a lot of blues and slide. I don't need any other recommendations, I'm planning on looking at a bunch of HSS guitars at Guitar Center in the future.

Thanks.
It would do fine. As long as the guitar has a good humbucker, it can achieve a good metal tone. (and as long as you like the feel)

The amp is what makes the metal sound, the guitar is more for feel.
first of all, never refer to those bands as metal, never.

and no the hss strat will not do well with high gain at all, unless you need to spend some money on an ns-2 or something.

try looking at mahogany bodied guitars, like an SG or something, the musicman's could get the job done as well. single coils will not do well with thrashing riffs but in some cases shred metal.
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.
Of course it can. To be cliché, any guitar can do metal with the right amp, but I suppose it helps if you have a humbucker.

Just play it and see if it's right for you.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
^^Thats why I'm looking at the HSS one.

You know, the guitar with a HUMBUCKER in the bridge?

Excusee me, the bands I listed are "nu-metal" ftwz.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Oct 4, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

+1
Quote by nivlarama

and no the hss strat will not do well with high gain at all, unless you need to spend some money on an ns-2 or something.

try looking at mahogany bodied guitars, like an SG or something, the musicman's could get the job done as well. single coils will not do well with thrashing riffs but in some cases shred metal.

First of all, most of those bands use the very similar guitar tones to metal bands and secondly HSS means it has a humbucker in the bridge.

Alders not the ideal for metal rhythm guitar, I'd say mahogany is always preferential but by no means essential (I'm a poet and I don't know it), but with a high output pickup in the bridge you should get a good tone.

And no, not any guitar can "do metal", if you want to get technical any guitar I suppose could "do" any genre, but that does not mean it will sound good, a low output humbucker will sound muddy and undefined and using a single coil for metal rhythm is practically a cardinal sin.
The bridge humbucker has 5 Alnico magnets in it. Alnico humbuckers always seem to be able to play what they're told with ease... in other words, they're flexible.

The single coils have 3 Alnico magnets in them... better for bluesy riffs and cleans.
Quote by nivlarama

Wow, you obviously know nothing about guitars. Any guitar can play high gain, its just some guitars are built for it (comes with the right stock pickups) or you just need pickups to handle the higher distortion.

You don't need mahogany to play high gain. Ever heard of Iron Maiden?

+1.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Wow, you obviously know nothing about guitars. Any guitar can play high gain, its just some guitars are built for it (comes with the right stock pickups) or you just need pickups to handle the higher distortion.

You don't need mahogany to play high gain. Ever heard of Iron Maiden?

He said it is preferred, not needed.
Quote by darkcheef
He said it is preferred, not needed.

I must have misread, as I did not read nivlarama saying that mahogany is preferred. I heard him say that HSS will not play metal, and to look at mahogany SGs.
I've looked into the Faded SG and Faded V. There's a Faded V for sale with a hardcase for $525 in my area.

SUCKS that I don't have the money for it...
I can play metal with my HWY1 Strat. It's not as thick and clear sounding as my LTD Viper, but it can handle it nonetheless.
The stock humbucker is quite hot and responsive. Very similar to my SD JB.
The more gain to use with the HWY1 adds noise though. So a noise suppressor is needed.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
check my profile i've recorded some heavy tones with a s\s\s strat and a valveking, it was a very lousy mic and no effects at all but i guess you can call it metal.
Could the elitists please just get the fuck out? No one cares how br00t4lz you think you are for listening to what you deem "metal".

TS: Sure, you could. It would sound better if you replaced the humbucker with something more versatile, like a Dimarzio or a Seymour Duncan. Either way, you will be able to get some metal tones out of it. The amp is the key factor.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
don't see why not. HSS is a good call, you have a lot of options for HSS guitars, though, so try as many as you can until you find the exact one you like best.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fender popped in my head right away because I'd like to have a vintage tremolo to mess with and I don't by any means want a floyd rose.

Are there any HSS Jacksons or Ibanez with vintage tremolos that are above beginner quality ?
I had one and i didn't like it. At the time all i played was metal. Now I have two guitars, a Hellraiser for metal and my PRS Custom 22 10 top for everything else. It does metal good too though.

In your case, if you are looking for a metal guitar, i wouldn't go fender. But if you are looking for something that does everything just OKAY yeah go for it. You can get a better guitar for the price though.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Fender popped in my head right away because I'd like to have a vintage tremolo to mess with and I don't by any means want a floyd rose.

Are there any HSS Jacksons or Ibanez with vintage tremolos that are above beginner quality ?

This what you're looking for? Andy Timmon's signature from Ibanez. No floyd rose, the trem isn't what you'd call vintage in terms of Fender's tremolos on their reissue models, but it's not a floyd by any means.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
^^If it wasn't $2,300, I'd consider it.

It's worth the money. Or you can just get one built by Warmoth.