Hey guys! I need some help picking a tuning to stick to. It's fun playing in different tunings, but with a Floyd Rose equipped guitar, it's something that I'd like to avoid. I mean, I can't really see a lot of advantages of having a different tuning for every other song. :p

Anyway, I'm trying to decide between Standard (and Dropped D), Half-Step Down (and Dropped C#), and Whole-step Down (and Drop C). I've been playing around in Drop C for a while, but I'm wondering if I should reconsider.

More info: I don't really play much "metal" so to speak. I do love and appreciate it, but I don't really use a lot of heavy distortion. My sounds range from alternative to hard rock, and even through some pop-punk and mainstream. My range allows me to sing with all of the tunings.

I was wondering if anyone had some advice to help me determine which tuning would be best for me. Thanks a lot guys!

-E
Personally if youre not playing a lot of metal, stick to good old e standard/drop d. Seems to me most metal songs ive encountered use lower tunings but everything else not so much.

Personally I really like D standard though.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
If your not playing much metal stick to standard/half step down or D tuning. Otherwise your playing will sound too heavy and powerchords and stuff will be hard to find on the fretboard.
What do you guys think about half-step down? I know some more mainstream bands, such as Paramore, use it sometimes, as well as a fewer heavier bands, i.e. Coheed (sorry if I offended anyone by calling them heavier, but they're definitely heavier than bands like Paramore).
I say, stick to Standard E/Dropped D. You can alternate between these tunings pretty quickly, and as long as you're not a complete retard, you can adjust most songs that are played in D standard or D# standard tuning, to Drop D. And hell, most songs that are in C# sound just as well when played in Standard D, so you can play them in Dropped D as well.

And E is the standard tuning that you should keep your guitar on most of the time, in my opinion. And anything below D is simply unneccessary, again, in MY opinion. But you can always get a good old pitch shifter and end all your worries with the turn of a knob
Last edited by Dzamija at Oct 4, 2009,
I'd stick to good old E standard. Anything below drop C sounds sludgy IMO.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I have two guitars, one with a Floyd Rose bridge and one with a fixed bridge. I keep the fixed bridge one in D Standard and the other in New Standard.

If you've never tried NS, give it a shot
You'll need some custom gauges though, for those higher strings, and you may need to adjust your intonation after tuning.
All Fifths Tuning FTW! CGDAEB
Just use e standard
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom