Hi all, my band are choosing which tuning we are going to use. We would be retuning my guitar with a Floyd Rose which I can adjust fine, one guitar without, and a bass guitar. Can you guys tell me what adjustments would be needed to each other than the obvious retuning (truss rod, intonation etc).

All our instruments are setup for E standard...

Eb standard
D standard
Drop C
C standard

Thanks guys!
None if it is a hard tail, I tune in A# sometimes and my intonation stays perfect. Oh and use multiple tunings, it is way more fun.
Quote by Random3
Hi all, my band are choosing which tuning we are going to use. We would be retuning my guitar with a Floyd Rose which I can adjust fine, one guitar without, and a bass guitar. Can you guys tell me what adjustments would be needed to each other than the obvious retuning (truss rod, intonation etc).

All our instruments are setup for E standard...

Eb standard
D standard
Drop C
C standard

Thanks guys!

Since you already know of the obvious truss, and intonation adjustments. The only other thing I can think of is if you go below D tuning (C or lower), you'll probably need to put on some thicker gauge strings to compensate for the tension lost.
The only thing that would require you to adjust the truss rod the most would be if you changed string gauges. if you switched from 10's to 12's, you would need to adjust the truss rod and intonation
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony)
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Quote by Random3
So we could tune as low as C standard on guitars and bass without needing a truss rod adjustment, as long as we kept the same string gauges?

It depends on how stable your neck is really. Any time you lower tuning, you decrease the tension on the neck and truss rod. It may require a small adjustment. It may not. All depends on how much relief you have left in your neck once you change tunings.
Quote by Matt420740
It depends on how stable your neck is really. Any time you lower tuning, you decrease the tension on the neck and truss rod. It may require a small adjustment. It may not. All depends on how much relief you have left in your neck once you change tunings.

Is there any way we could check this? Because I'd rather we chose a tuning that doesn't require a truss rod adjustment or any professional setting-up.
This link has a very good description of how to check the relief in your neck. And a truss adjustment isn't hard, and you don't need a pro. Just read through the info on that page, make small adjustments at a time, and you'll have no problem. - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

You might not need to make any adjustment to the neck, but its nice to know this stuff just in case.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Oct 4, 2009,