Hey, I've been looking around for a guitar id like. I chose to look around in LTDs as they arent too expensive (i suppose :P) and because I'm looking for a deep Metallica tone. I found 2 LTD's that seemed quite interesting. Could you help me choose one, please answer in as much detail as possible and specify why this not that. Im goin to post Specs and pics of each guitar.

1. ESP LTD EC-1000FR
Specs:
Set-Neck
24.75” Scale
Mahogany Body
Flamed Maple Top
Mahogany Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
Locking Nut
42mm Neck Width
Thin U Neck Contour
24 XJ Frets
Black Nickel Hardware
ESP Tuners
Floyd Rose 1000 Series
EMG 81 & 60 Active pickups
Finish: See-Thru Black
http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/61630_l.jpg

2. ESP LTD EX401DX
Specs:
Set-Neck
24.75” Scale
Mahogany Body
Flamed Maple Top
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
Locking Nut
42mm Neck Width
Thin U Neck Contour
22 XJ Frets
Black Nickel Hardware
Grover Tuners
Floyd Rose Special Bridge
EMG 81 Bridge & 60 Neck Active Pickups
Finish: See-Thru Black
http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/61643_l.jpg

Possibly the only differences in both of these guitars are the Tuners, FR Trem version and Neck Finnish. I'm don't really know much about parts and whats better therefore Im asking YOU guys for help

PS. ATM I have OLP MM4 John Petrucci Signature
PS2. Any other opinions/guitars you'd recommend? Do tell what guitar and why Remember I'm lloking for this heavy Metallica-like Thrash Metal tone

Cheers

MetalHammer
Last edited by MetalHammer93 at Oct 4, 2009,
The Korean made LTD's are nice guitars, you'll certainly be able to get the tone your after with one and a suitable amp.

Should be worth pointing out at a glance that the EC has 24 frets and the EX has 22, so it depends whether or not you'll be needing all of those, then its down to preference.

Also you can get a proper ESP Eclipse for just £70 odd more than the EC:

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/esp-guitars-eclipse-ii-electric-guitar-*amber-cherry-sunburst--47147
i was kinda hoping for a guitar with FR as im a bit more of a lead player and as me all know playing Metallica lead requires a whammy. But Eclypse looks quite nice :> i could consider it if it comes in black :P
Fret wise again im not sure atm, its always to have some extre frets just in case u need them ^^, but then again im not sure about the FR System in both of the guitars and their Tuners, whats better and stuff...
Darkcheef my amp is 30W Peavey Vypyr, i quite like it, i love its heavy sound my budget... really depends on how much ill earn and how much ill be saving for but id think up to 1.2k max...
I prefer the shape of the EX Series, but the EC does have 24 frets instead of 22. So i guess thats really what is comes down to, is whether you need to extra 2 frets. I would probably still go with the EX.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
I just got the new EC401 and love it 24 frets, EMGs, grover tuners and doesnt have the gawdy abalone binding i know some of the 1000s have
Quote by MetalHammer93
i was kinda hoping for a guitar with FR as im a bit more of a lead player and as me all know playing Metallica lead requires a whammy. But Eclypse looks quite nice :> i could consider it if it comes in black :P
Fret wise again im not sure atm, its always to have some extre frets just in case u need them ^^, but then again im not sure about the FR System in both of the guitars and their Tuners, whats better and stuff...
Darkcheef my amp is 30W Peavey Vypyr, i quite like it, i love its heavy sound my budget... really depends on how much ill earn and how much ill be saving for but id think up to 1.2k max...

I have it too

I say get a Carvin, they are much better, come with endless custom options, have SS frets, and they sound better and are made better than most guitars I have ever played. And most of them after your custom options will be less than $1,200

http://www.carvinguitars.com/
Quote by darkcheef
I have it too

I say get a Carvin, they are much better, come with endless custom options, have SS frets, and they sound better and are made better than most guitars I have ever played. And most of them after your custom options will be less than $1,200

http://www.carvinguitars.com/

hmm they seem quite interesting, but thing is
1. I live in England and there is kinda no way of me trying it and just knowing what it sounds like
2. i don't tend to trust brands i've never heard of in my life :P

24 vs 22 frets... well im not sure, as I said its nice to have 24 frets, gives u more notes and more possiblities with your guitar but it's not completly necessary i suppose

EC401, looks exectly the same as EX-1000 Delux model just... cheaper, and I think there might be a good reason for this... :P
Last edited by MetalHammer93 at Oct 4, 2009,
Quote by MetalHammer93
hmm they seem quite interesting, but thing is
1. I live in England and there is kinda no way of me trying it and just knowing what it sounds like
2. i don't tend to trust brands i've never heard of in my life :P

You have never heard of Carvin
well the only difference i noticed is that the EC is a little bottom heavy, so it feels weird if you play without a strap, but there both perfect guitars.
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
So you think it's just a matter of shape and frets? what about the FR? What's the difference between special series and 1000 series? :P and What's the difference between Groover and ESP Tuners? :O

PS. vulcan422 loving ur TOP 4 Bands in ur Sig... \m/
Quote by MetalHammer93

EC401, looks exectly the same as EX-1000 Delux model just... cheaper, and I think there might be a good reason for this... :P

I have an EC400, and it's a really good guitar (I got mine £200 second hand), actions at the lowest setting possible and no buzz, plays well, nice pups and tuning stability, I doubt there will be a big difference.
i have grover tuners on two guitars and they tend to stay in tune better than the ESP tuners, which arent really bad. the grovers make for smoother tuning adjustments too.

the specs on the guitars are pretty close to eachother. im not sure of the difference between a FR special bridge and a FR 1000 series. PERSONALLY i like the explorer style. i like LPs but i just feel more comfortable with the ex. it just FEELS like im closer to the fretboard when im sitting down, probably because there's less body material by the neck pickup area. ya know, the area thats right about at the middle of your chest when you're sitting with it.

both of those guitars look hot with the flamed maple top, and both will get you what you're looking for.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by MetalHammer93
So you think it's just a matter of shape and frets? what about the FR? What's the difference between special series and 1000 series? :P and What's the difference between Groover and ESP Tuners? :O

PS. vulcan422 loving ur TOP 4 Bands in ur Sig... \m/

lol thanks man, but yeah the Grover tuners are a tiny bit better than the ESP, but not enough to make or break the decision, it really matters on what shape you like better, the EC is a little body heavy like i said, but other than that its just a matter of cosmetics

PS. i know a lot about ESP's i own 5, (3 LTD's, 2 ESP's) so i know what i'm talking about
Quote by vulcan422
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Last edited by vulcan422 at Oct 4, 2009,
sorry, i overlooked this. it doesnt really matter what tuners you have since you have a locking nut. and the EC has a bound fretboard (which i like) and the EX does not.

so id go with the EC in this case

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

I had a go on EC1000 Delux without a floyd rose and i have to say i quite enjoyed it never had an EX shaped guitar in my hands so i suppose that's the next thing ill have to look around for, try the shape myself really.
So now the question is whats the difference between FR 1000 and FR Special... i now know that FR1000 is OFR and it's one of the best ones out there... but still no idea wth FR Special is..any ideas?
PS. Vulcan whats ESP/LTDs have u got ? and in your opinion which one should i save up so i dont regret it?
Metallica
Pantera
Slayer
A7X
Lamb of God
All That Remains
BLS
Ozzy Osbourne

GEAR
OLP John Petrucci Signature
Blackstar HT-DistX
Peavey Vypyr 30W
Marshall MS-2C
Quote by MetalHammer93
I had a go on EC1000 Delux without a floyd rose and i have to say i quite enjoyed it never had an EX shaped guitar in my hands so i suppose that's the next thing ill have to look around for, try the shape myself really.
So now the question is whats the difference between FR 1000 and FR Special... i now know that FR1000 is OFR and it's one of the best ones out there... but still no idea wth FR Special is..any ideas?
PS. Vulcan whats ESP/LTDs have u got ? and in your opinion which one should i save up so i dont regret it?

the 2 bridges are almost exactly the same, the 1000 stays in tune a little longer and thats about it.

and i have the ESP M-II, ECLIPSE-II VB, AX 50 w/ EMG 81/85, FX 400 and the VIPER 1000FM

and for the tone your looking for, the ESP M-II
Quote by vulcan422
Quote by red157

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
yeh but M-II is a bit TOO expensive i think ? XD i mean ok i understand its ESP ... but u can get similar tone for 1k from LTD EC1000FR and it has a FR which is just what i want D
dont u think? ^_^
Metallica
Pantera
Slayer
A7X
Lamb of God
All That Remains
BLS
Ozzy Osbourne

GEAR
Blackstar HT-DistX
Peavey Vypyr 30W
Marshall MS-2C
lol an ax 50 w/ EMGs! im not doggin ya, i just think its funny.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

AX doesnt look that bad... *cough* xD
and i bet that was one of his earlier guitars ;>
Coming back to M-II ... just looked at it for a bit and didnt like the shape i mean.. ihad an obsesion with KH signature models few months ago... but tbh now i saw LTD EC Series and ESP Eclipses i really want one of them :>
Metallica
Pantera
Slayer
A7X
Lamb of God
All That Remains
BLS
Ozzy Osbourne

GEAR
Blackstar HT-DistX
Peavey Vypyr 30W
Marshall MS-2C
Just to let you know man, Carvin (while not as big as say fender or gibson) is pretty big here in the U.S. Its a very respectable company and you cant go wrong with them.

But hey, whatever floats ur boat
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
The FR-1000 and the FR special have one, maybe two differences.
The FR Special has a zinc block, and (unconfirmed) steel saddles, though they could be zinc.
The FR-1000 is more or less an OFR made in Korea.\

Also, Carvin is a very good value, and is famous in the US for building fantastic quality guitars.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by SYLrules88
lol an ax 50 w/ EMGs! im not doggin ya, i just think its funny.

yeah it is funny lol, i wanted to try out ESP, so i bout a cheap LTD and found it 1000x better than my original favorite guitar company, who's name will not be mentioned.

*cough* Dean *cough*

EDIT:
Quote by MetalHammer93
AX doesnt look that bad... *cough* xD
and i bet that was one of his earlier guitars ;>
Coming back to M-II ... just looked at it for a bit and didnt like the shape i mean.. ihad an obsesion with KH signature models few months ago... but tbh now i saw LTD EC Series and ESP Eclipses i really want one of them :>

well then, i think you should get the ESP Eclipse-II FR, which will be coming out soon, when you can afford it lol =)
Quote by vulcan422
Quote by red157

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Last edited by vulcan422 at Oct 5, 2009,
Quote by vulcan422
yeah it is funny lol, i wanted to try out ESP, so i bout a cheap LTD and found it 1000x better than my original favorite guitar company, who's name will not be mentioned.

*cough* Dean *cough*

EDIT:
well then, i think you should get the ESP Eclipse-II FR, which will be coming out soon, when you can afford it lol =)

hahah i was planning on getting a razorback at first ...but bleh..
lol Eclipse II FR hahah ... thats will have to be like UBER EXPENSIVE... I'm thinking of getting Eclipse I CTM which is priced around £1.1k in some shops ... FR One is 1.5-1.6k so i think... paying 500 quid for a FR is a bit too much? so i mighyt aswell just get the Eclipse I CTM ... what do you think? Unless ESP will surprise us with a fair price (BELOW £1.7-2k) for the Eclipse II FR and it will get good reviews then maybe...

EDIT: + i much preffer the Vintage Black (Black / Gold/Yellow) looks of Eclipse I and EC1000, and i dont think Eclipse II FR will come in that colour :<

I've never heard of Carvin, i live in England. It's not like im dissing them, im sure they r a good company, but i like to try out guitars i want to buy b4 i acctually buy them so... :P
Metallica
Pantera
Slayer
A7X
Lamb of God
All That Remains
BLS
Ozzy Osbourne

GEAR
Blackstar HT-DistX
Peavey Vypyr 30W
Marshall MS-2C
Last edited by MetalHammer93 at Oct 6, 2009,
Are you dead set on ESP? If not, have a look at this one: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-ASM-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=516093

Specs:
Construction: neck-through
Body wood: Alder
Top style: flat top
Tuners: Grover
Fretboard: ebony
Frets: 24 jumbo
Scale: 25 1/2"
Bridge: Floyd Rose Original
Pickups: EMG 85 neck, 81 bridge
Controls: 1 volume, 1 three-way toggle and 1 tone
im not dead set on ESPs, eventho i really REALLY like them, i got bored of all the jacksons and ibanezes... too many of them i see around me ... ESP LP style kinda spoke to me... it's the sexiest guitar ever :P
that BC Rich looks quite nice and seems to be quite beasty but
1. no shops around me have them in stock therefore there is no way i could try it out and test it
2. i never was a big fan of bc rich guitars ever since my mates BC RIch broke after 3 weeks of usage :P
Metallica
Pantera
Slayer
A7X
Lamb of God
All That Remains
BLS
Ozzy Osbourne

GEAR
Blackstar HT-DistX
Peavey Vypyr 30W
Marshall MS-2C
Okay, what about this one:http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-MH1000-Electric-Guitar-with-EMGs?sku=512954

ESP Deluxe MH-1000. It's in the same range as the Eclipse you posted in the first post. Almost the same specs, but this one has 24 frets.
i kinda got bored of thip shape of guitars...every 1 has them like that :P but its an awesome guitar :O and it kinda reminded me of KH-602... which would be even better for Thrashy sound? dont you think? or is MH-1000 better?
Metallica
Pantera
Slayer
A7X
Lamb of God
All That Remains
BLS
Ozzy Osbourne

GEAR
Blackstar HT-DistX
Peavey Vypyr 30W
Marshall MS-2C
Quote by MetalHammer93
im not dead set on ESPs, eventho i really REALLY like them, i got bored of all the jacksons and ibanezes... too many of them i see around me ... ESP LP style kinda spoke to me... it's the sexiest guitar ever :P
that BC Rich looks quite nice and seems to be quite beasty but
1. no shops around me have them in stock therefore there is no way i could try it out and test it
2. i never was a big fan of bc rich guitars ever since my mates BC RIch broke after 3 weeks of usage :P

You got bored of Jacksons and not ESPs?
How does that work?

Also, you want a "thrashy sound". Load's of thrash metal bands have at one point had a guitarist who played a Jackson in.

James and Kirk from Metallica did.
Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman from Megadeth did.
Kerry King sometimes did.
Anthrax did.
Loads of 80's thrash bands you see did.

They are awesome.
Above post may or may not be true.
Last edited by kurney at Oct 6, 2009,
too many people seem to have Jacksons and they just...pore me ... i wanted a KE3 kelly with Seymour Duncans ... but bleh...
i moved on now : > i rly like ESPs, i tried quite a few LTDs and like 2 ESPs and they owned ...... and not too many people around me have them so i can be ''unique'' XD
Metallica
Pantera
Slayer
A7X
Lamb of God
All That Remains
BLS
Ozzy Osbourne

GEAR
Blackstar HT-DistX
Peavey Vypyr 30W