Evenin guys
I have found out recently that in my Design AS course at college the next project is making something full size and useable out of an A3 sheet of 6mm pine plywood. I was wondering for ages how i could make this guitar related, then i remembered I still had my Marshall MG15 amp in the garage.
I proceded to take it to pieces not knowing what to expect.
Suprisingly (for me atleast) to disconnect the amp and speaker all i had to do was pull off two slip on connectors.
According to my multimeter the speaker is 7.5Ohms which means the output socket of the head (when done) will be 8 ohms meaning i could actually connect this to a 2x12 i use with my AVT150H.

Pictures so far

At the beginning (admittedly i already had the corner protectors off)

Amp taken out

Empty shell with speaker attached to the front board still (it's bolted and lok-tited on, and i have no need to take it off)

Do it to mine. I need it to look better than it is.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Cool.

Just one thing, though... mod the amp! I guarantee you can make it sound better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Cool.

Just one thing, though... mod the amp! I guarantee you can make it sound better.

the genius behind this plan:
when i build the head for it, it's gonna be a case of undo 4 screws and the electronics all side out on their metal casing = win for easy access to mod

but what can i do to the amp mod-wise?
Quote by Bigsteve92
the genius behind this plan:
when i build the head for it, it's gonna be a case of undo 4 screws and the electronics all side out on their metal casing = win for easy access to mod

but what can i do to the amp mod-wise?

*waits for inevitable "throw it out"*

Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
nice man. Are you going to chop the pervious enclosure or are you going to get an enclosure
Quote by jtbull
nice man. Are you going to chop the pervious enclosure or are you going to get an enclosure

I'll assume you did actually read the OP properly and saw I'm making the new enclosure in Design at college and that you mean for the cab.
I'm not sure if i'll be making a 1x8 cab out fo the amps casing because it'd actually do quite nicely for a project amp if i ever get round to one, and also if i wanted to revert the amp back for any reason :P
I've actually done the maths and an A3 piece of wood is a tiny bit too small for this.
the only way it might be possible is it i rip the spring reverb chamber out and to move the power lead inwards a bit and cut the metal down, but that's more work than it's worth tbh.
Instead I'll just buy some ply and do this myself by hand.
I'll then proceed to paint in luminous orange with a can of rustoleum i have sat next to the pc (for some reason)
Quote by Vauxite
Steve!
Double post! I'm horrified!

haha shush Foz

oh and if you foot the bill for the plywood I'll make you the head and cab enclosures i have half designed so far
update:
I found out the sheets of wood are actually slightly bigger than A3 and are just the right size for the amp enclosure. I've designed two of the panels already, all that's left to design is the top and then I'll be sorted (Y)
Double post again! What is this shit?

You'll have to show me it in the tech IT rooms.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Hey man, can you post a larger, close-up pic of the MG's guts? I never really looked at the insides of a solid state amp before.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Hey man, can you post a larger, close-up pic of the MG's guts? I never really looked at the insides of a solid state amp before.

photobucket sized my photos down

I'll try and re-upload at some point with a bigger, originally it was massive (that's what she said )
the guts for this amp are basically the exact same as the head of my micro stack

sorry about the crap picture, my camera broke and all i got now is my cell phone :|
Last edited by mikevsself at Oct 24, 2009,
Wow, the pic looks really good I'd like to see the process. I may buy an MG or something real cheap and Mod it and change it loads as I've never actually Moded anything Guitarwise.
Last edited by Lr-Mtb at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by Lr-Mtb
Wow, the pic looks really good I'd like to see the process. I may buy an MG or something real cheap and Mod it and change it loads as I've never actually Moded anything Guitarwise.

go with a guitar as opposed to an amp, much more fun

aaand quick materials / equipment list:
MG: already had it
screws to lock amp in : from the MG
One 500mmx375mm sheet of 6mm thick Laser Ply: £2
Laser Cutter: £36000
Process Time

Well, this be the laser cutter

forgot to get a wood pic but yeah, it was 6mm thick and 500mm x 375mm

This is the wood in the cutter about half done

all cut out and etched

Sat togther to get a look at the final product

Clamped to glue

Drilled a hole for an output jack (between the transformer and the reverb unit)

Final Product

and just because i found it on my phone whilst getting these pictures
EDIT:
a Gibson quality control fail
Last edited by Bigsteve92 at Oct 26, 2009,
I should do this to my Orange Crush 10 xD
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Looks good, great use of an old amp too!
Hopefully with some mods it'll be a usable amp

For my design (not sure if you did product design or another kind) I'm planning on re-designing the guitar slide, I can't wait til we get the project set.
I'm still waiting to see what it sounds like through a 2x12 with Celestion Classic Lead 80's :P
It might actually sound alright

and as for the orange crush 10, aren't they valve? you'd need to have some kind of vent (easy to do on a laser cutter )
Try swapping the OT and choke of the MG.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I've been seeing these threads a lot and I really want to try it. Sadly I have no amp Im willing to destroy if I mess up. Also I can't see any point in doing this with my peavey backstage II
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
I've been seeing these threads a lot and I really want to try it. Sadly I have no amp Im willing to destroy if I mess up. Also I can't see any point in doing this with my peavey backstage II

the advantage is that with heavier combo's you split the weight as a substantial amount of the weight is the amplifier part.
It also gives the advantage of being able to plug into other speakers and experimenting with sound
it also looks cooler
aaand i wouldn't have done this if it wasn't for my design project :P
I've only just managed to get the amp home from college (had to be graded or w/e, probably just some BS so they could show it off with the rest of the projects at the open evening)
Plugged in my RG rigged it up to the 2x12 i have in my room (usually running an AVT 150).
It actually sounds quite nice.
Anyone recomend the best way to get soundclips?
My LG Viewty goes all wierd and shit on sound when i try and record the guitar,
borrowing a HD video cam the best way forward here?
i did this with a MG50 a couple years ago. got a lot of life out of the amp doing it.

i'd put up pics but this is your thread.

to record a clip,
i suggest you download audacity and get a little mic to plug into your computer.
or use a good mic and a 1/8" adapter.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
i did this with a MG50 a couple years ago. got a lot of life out of the amp doing it.

i'd put up pics but this is your thread.

to record a clip,
i suggest you download audacity and get a little mic to plug into your computer.
or use a good mic and a 1/8" adapter.

make a thread and post pics :P

and I'll have to pic up a mic somewhere and soon
I don't suppose you could upload the lasercutting files to the board, this thread has given me an idea
Quote by Bigsteve92
anyone suggest any mods i could do to the amp?
make it sound a little better :P

I dunno, ask the amp guys about it (IE Kurtlives, DlRocket, etc).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.