Okay, so I've got this crappy starter package Dean guitar with a great scalloped Ibanez neck.

Price Range: $300 for pickups, w/e for installation
Bands: Heaven & Hell/Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Metallica

I'm looking for something that's good for high treble, high distortion, and cleans. I can't purchase anything online, so recommendations will have to come from guitarcenter.com. I went to the actual store, and they just started throwing pickups at me and ignored my price range. No help there, so here I am!

I hope that's enough information (and the right section for my thread.)

P.S. This is what it sounds like now: (Clean, rhythm, and lead tones)
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/xHellbound/music/all/play589784
Last edited by xHellbound at Oct 4, 2009,
You have to get single coil pickups unless you buy a new scratch plate and do some routing.
Quote by grimms
You have to get single coil pickups unless you buy a new scratch plate and do some routing.

Yeah, I'm not looking to do a whole lot of customizing, mostly replacing what's already there.
Hot Rails? Probably over budget but what you need for those sounds from that.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Hot Rails? Probably over budget but what you need for those sounds from that.

I'm counting on Christmas money, so I might have to shell out some extra niceness to relatives, because I'm really liking the reviews this pickup got. Or get a job.. but I'm lazy. xD
Last edited by xHellbound at Oct 4, 2009,
May I ask, why a locking nut with a vintage style strat trem?

As for p'ups, with the bands you listed, you'd get away with most single coil sized humbuckers. I think the hot rails is pretty much the standard recommendation, but I'm not sure its the best by any means

I'd check out lace sensors. I have a red silver blue set in my strat and they are great for everything from pop to jazz to hard rock. They are so versatile. They are single coils and they look sexy too.

I found this song done with them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMZanEbOUyQ&feature=related sounds awesome I think
Quote by supergerbil
May I ask, why a locking nut with a vintage style strat trem?

Both the original Dean guitar and the Ibanez neck were free, and I just put them together like that. I know it's mix-matched, but with the locking nut on, it works fine and I didn't see any reason to install a floyd rose trem.
I presume you dont lock the nut though, right? You just leave the bolts off? Anyway, something for free is great so no complaining from me
Quote by supergerbil
I presume you dont lock the nut though, right? You just leave the bolts off? Anyway, something for free is great so no complaining from me

It's a bit annoying when it comes to tuning (and still would be even with a floyd rose trem), but I do have to leave the bolts on so the strings ring out, as its the only thing keeping them in place.