I need an acoustic guitar for a guitar class I will be taking next semester. I have been playing guitar for awhile so I know how to play and want a great guitar in the price range of $500-600 (Will go up to 750). I have been looking at a few different models and would like some input on those models and if they are good or not, and some suggestions as well.

I have been looking at these models:

Martin DX1
Martin DX1RGT
Martin DX1 Tawny Satinwood
Guild GAD-25
Taylor 110
Alvarez MD6104
Epiphone Masterbilt off of EBay. Get a USED stamped one, they're cheaper and sound unbelievable for the price.
I'll check those out as well, I need to go out of town and test a few of these if I can even find a place nearby that cares them. Anyone else wanna give me their input?
All three of those Martins are wonderful. You can almost get a D-15 for your budget, with a little patience and luck. The X series hate is sorta like Ovation hate: illogical. Never seen any problems with HPL, though I've heard unsubstantiated rumors.

Never played the Guild.

Alvarez...meh...okay

Taylor
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Oct 4, 2009,
Ok I got a question about rosewood vs ebony fretboard on an acoustic guitar. Is it like on electrics and can you tell how much smoother the guitar is in terms of playing (Well for me its noticible; My ebony fb guitars are smoother but feel kinda harder, where my rosewood guitar feels softers and more comfortable to play but it gets dirty quicker and doesn't feel as smooth). And does it affect tone any, or is the tone on an acoustic come mainly from the body wood that resonates?
Never really been able to tell a difference in fingerboard tone, myself. Just the same playability factors you are already aware of.

Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Oct 6, 2009,
I like my Taylor so I'll suggest that . Seriously, just go try them. It's all personal preference, imo. I searched for months in that price range before I decided on the Taylor. It was between it and an Alvarez in the end. I made the right choice (for me). Have fun!
It's possible that you'll be able to find some used Breedlove Atlas series in that price, which are pretty awesome guitars.
Ok, I'll try some breedloves or atlas guitars as well, It's just hard to find a decent guitar or amp in the nearby towns. Palmdale has crap and I don't know whats in Bakersfield, but other than those two towns, I'd have to go to LA for a decent amount of choices. Living in the California desert sucks when it comes to getting/testing gear out.
in the opinion of many players, me included, seagull is the brand to try in this price range. you can get a very nice solid top or even all solid for the money you're thinking of paying. the solid top/laminate back and sides seagulls have more life and nuance to their tone than most laminate back and side guitars (could be the wood, could be the way they laminate or brace). there's some interesting styles including the mini jumbo.

bakersfield has a guitar center and there may be others near you - here's the full list
http://gc.guitarcenter.com/locations/cities.cfm?state=California
Yeah I know theres a GC in Bakersfield, and I've never been to it, but the GC in Palmdale sucks ass. Its either really expensive guitars or crappy beginner guitars, theres not that many mid range guitars that are good in either acoustic or electric at that place.
Bumping the Masterbilt idea, they are incredible!!! The guitars on your list are all trophy wives, the Masterbilt's are True Love....

James
i haven't found masterbilts to be incredible guitars. they're very good values, although not as good as the all-solid recording kings. masterbilts don't sound as good to me as many other all solid guitars and don't look as good, although personal taste comes into both these things a lot.

ovations are a very particular taste. while i love the sound of some of the high end ovations - the al di meola ovation is a wet dream to play - i find the necks at the lower end ovations to be narrow with a tighter round shape to the neck that is very uncomfortable. my fingers feel crammed together on ovation necks more than on other necks - even other narrow necks. more people i know who play find them uncomfortable than not, but i do know some who have no problems with them and love to play 'em.

the ovation you are talking about has a deep bowl, and while i had no trouble with the deep bowl ovation i used to own, it may be harder to play sitting down as it will sort of roll around against your stomach, which can also happen while you're standing up. it's a solid top, always a plus.
I have that exact model of Taylor, it sounds and plays amazingly. Beautiful to play and wonderful workmanship