So, ive been playing guitar for about 3 years now. I mainly play Hard rock and some heavy metal, and i play punk with my band. Recently i have started listening to some more metal music (e.g. COB) and really wanna broden my musical horizons. I bet it would benefit my playing imensly. But i have no idea where to start. Im particulary drawn to Symphonic Death Metal, but i dunno with what songs to start. I cant tap or tremolo pick that good, and i can sweep at all, and i pretty much just know the pentatonic and the minor scale. So, i would apreciate it if you would point me to some songs that would slowly build up my skills. I am by no means a good guitarist, so ease me in .

Thanks guys.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Children Of Bodom - Sixpounder
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Children Of Bodom - Angels Don't Kill
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
i just dove right in when i started playing metal, i just played whatever i was listening to
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by SilverchairFan
No offense, but if you are by no means a good guitarist, why are you in a band?

To get better? For fun? Cant i just be in a band to have fun with my friends and make music, even if its crappy?
Quote by SilverchairFan

Because he enjoys playing music? You don't have to be a good, or great guitarist to be in a band by any means.
I would start with metallica, iron maiden and ozzy. Those are my favourites and they are what i've been playing since the begininng, well metallica and ozzy since iron maiden is my new found favourite. Ozzy has a lot of good riffs to learn and some easy solos. If you wanna get tapping down try the crazy train solo. Practice it for a good month and you'll have mastered it. Now a really good song that you should learn when you're being introduced to metal is Children of The Damned by iron maiden. Has a nice intro solo, easy power chord driven chorus, and then an ultimate break down into a simple tapping solo. Metallica is really good for your riff skills and can be challenging (dyers eve, battery). Some of there solos are easy and some are hard. Once you can play alot of songs from these bands i recommend stuff like megadeth for complex riffs and solos. But honestly there are to many bands to recommend, these are just my favourites and what i think are the easiest bands to play... neo classical artists like paul gilbert, micheal angelo batio, malmsteen are all good artists to look at but not till you're more advanced...
Last edited by maowcat at Oct 4, 2009,
Quote by maowcat
I would start with metallica, iron maiden and ozzy. Those are my favourites and they are what i've been playing since the begininng, well metallica and ozzy since iron maiden is my new found favourite. Ozzy has a lot of good riffs to learn and some easy solos. If you wanna get tapping down try the crazy train solo. Practice it for a good month and you'll have mastered it. Now a really good song that you should learn when you're being introduced to metal is Children of The Damned by iron maiden. Has a nice intro solo, easy power chord driven chorus, and then an ultimate break down into a simple tapping solo. Metallica is really good for your riff skills and can be challenging (dyers eve, battery). Some of there solos are easy and some are hard. Once you can play alot of songs from these bands i recommend stuff like megadeth for complex riffs and solos. But honestly there are to many bands to recommend, these are just my favourites and what i think are the easiest bands to play... neo classical artists like paul gilbert, micheal angelo batio, malmsteen are all good artists to look at but not till you're more advanced...

He released like 2 good albums
Damn, im gonn have to downtune a lot. Can .10 gauge strings go down to DropC without being extremly loose, or do i have to change to 11s or 12s, cause my band plays in standard and i only have one guitar.
Quote by gorkyporky
really wanna broden my musical horizons.

Learn something else like Jazz.

but if you want to start with metal try some Megadeth.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by SilverchairFan

No offence, but why do you have to ask sutch a rude question thats off toppic

on toppic
i suggest you learn the major scales, some metal songs from bands you like that sound a bit easier, than the modes, and ease your way into harder stuff.
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
For trem picking- pretty much any slayer song, although I perfer Black magic or raining blood for practicing trem picking.

For tapping- Am I Evil by diamond head or its cover by Metallica. The intro has an easy, linear tapping part.

Sweeps- This might be a little out of your range(it is for me), but most Necrophagist songs, or blitzkrige by Yngwie Malmsteen.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
i dont really like Jazz. No offense to all you Jazzers out there. Im more of a Blues man.
Quote by gorkyporky
Damn, im gonn have to downtune a lot. Can .10 gauge strings go down to DropC without being extremly loose, or do i have to change to 11s or 12s, cause my band plays in standard and i only have one guitar.

Get .11's, I can play .11s as high as Standard and as low as A# standard.
Quote by gorkyporky

if go with nines or tens. 11's its hard to tune standard, if you ever wanted to play in that tuning.
Quote by darkcheef
Get .11's, I can play .11s as high as Standard and as low as A# standard.

This.
I string all my guitars with .11's. I just think they;re really comfortable. For me I started with stuff like machine head like Davidian for example. Simple riff but sounds excellent.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by gorkyporky
i dont really like Jazz. No offense to all you Jazzers out there. Im more of a Blues man.

No jazz, Son I am disappoint
Quote by SuperElle
if go with nines or tens. 11's its hard to tune standard, if you ever wanted to play in that tuning.

No its not, I can easily bend and fret my .11s in standard.
Hm, i find 10s strangely loose even when i tune down to Eb. Gonna try to goet to drop C just for ****s and giggles tho

Quote by ibrahimasood
Fair enough,

have you given a chance to country?
learning chicken picking is a nightmare.

here check this guy out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PscAZyOMGiA

never really thought about Country, since it doesnt really exist here (im from central europe). I think im just gonna stick with metal since i like and know it. Im open for any nice country suggestions tho, it seems like a fun genere
Quote by gorkyporky

Get a program like Amazing Slow Downer that can slow down/speed up songs and change the pitch. You never have to retune and clearly being able to slow a song down helps to learn it.

If I would have had something to slow songs down 18 years ago when I started playing I would have been able to lean twice as many tunes twice as fast. I keep all my guitars in either Eb or D and just use Amazing Slow Downer to change the pitch of whatever I'm playing to.

http://www.ronimusic.com/
i have been playing guitar for about nine months and some good songs are
Omerta - Lamb of God
Laid to Rest - lamb of God (this one is a little tricker but try it out slow and work ur way up its a great song for getting better)
Blood and Thunder - Mastadon
March of the Fire Ants - Mastadon
Iron Tusk - Mastadon
Down With the Sickness - Disturbed
Love? - Strapping Young Lad
Entombment of a Machine - Job For A Cowboy
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Sad But True - Metallica
Learn some rhoads era ozzy (Diary of a Madman and Blizzard of ozz were the two albums he played on). He was very technical, mixing classical with metal. I find his solos and such hard to play, but love giving them a try.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Children Of Bodom - Blooddrunk
Pig Destroyer - Loathsome
BloodStain Child - Freedom
Devine Heresy - The Battle For J. Casey
Torture Killer - Cannibal Glutony
In Flames - Take This Life

Try these songs?
Metalcore 4 Life

If you want to know: Line 6 Spider III 13 (AMP), Ibanez GIO (GUITAR)

And I'm playing guitar for 4/5 months (Without lessons)

You just lost 5 seconds of your life by reading this....
Quote by gorkyporky
Hm, i find 10s strangely loose even when i tune down to Eb. Gonna try to goet to drop C just for ****s and giggles tho

If you want to do drop tunings I suggest either .12s or light heavies. Light heavies are ideal for drop tunings beyond drop D IMO.

As far as getting into metal goes, I would say just look at some tabs fo songs you like and review the songs in depth. I learn a ton more from a song by going over them a few times and picking out licks, phrases, riffs and techniques that I like as opposed to learning the entire song. There's nothing wrong with learning a song but IMO you should try to take away more from the song that just being able to repeat it.
in flames - bullet ride
at the gates - blinded by fear (easy but cool)
death - crystal mountain
children of bodom - downfall
I use 10s in drop c and i find them just perfect.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
MetallicA - Creeping Death
Children of Bodom - Black Widow
In Flames - Man Made God
Arch Enemy - Nemesis
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The first cob songs i learned was bed of razors, hatebreeder and hate me .. all very easy songs except for the solos.