Hey, does anybody know whether it's possible to connect a Peavey Windsor to a Marshall 1960A 4x12 Speaker cab?

I'd also like to know EXACTLY what I have to do when setting up a half stack what I have to do to NOT blow it up. Before you bash, yes I have read the stickies, and what it says about not running a head without the speaker, because you can easily fry the tubes, or the whole amp. I just want to be absolutely sure how to do this.

I know this might sound silly, but I have never put a half stack together before. DO I just need the Peavey Windsor head, Marshall cab and a lead to plug it in? if so, which lead should I buy?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
you need a speaker cable. I like the award session/cleartone ones, they're good quality, and really cheap. I'm sure you can get better if you're willing to spend £50 per lead, but for around the tenner mark, they're virtually unbeatable, compared to anything I've tried of a comparable price.

it should be possible, yeah, assuming the impedances match up. You just need to find what impedance the cab is, then set the impedance selector on the head to the same impedance, then connect the speaker cable between the two. I checked the marshall website, but it's giving the cab's impedance as 16/4 ohms in mono, and, er, I'm not quite sure what that means... sounds like you have the option, but I'm not sure. You'd want to make sure what impedance the cab is, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That might mean that the selector switch on the cab 'engages' either 4 ohm parallel or 16 ohm series wiring. Not familiar enough with that cab. But like Dave said, what ever you do make sure the impedance (ohms) match and play the amp without it being connected to the cab (speaker load).
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 5, 2009,
Hmm - why would you pay £50 for a speaker cable, when you can pay £10? Surely it doesen't affect the sound?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Hmm - why would you pay £50 for a speaker cable, when you can pay £10? Surely it doesen't affect the sound?

It definitely affects the sound. Length is more of an issue for speaker cables than other factors though. Just realize that the Windsor head is oversized and will partly hang off the Marshall.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Dave_Mc
you need a speaker cable. I like the award session/cleartone ones, they're good quality, and really cheap. I'm sure you can get better if you're willing to spend £50 per lead, but for around the tenner mark, they're virtually unbeatable, compared to anything I've tried of a comparable price.

it should be possible, yeah, assuming the impedances match up. You just need to find what impedance the cab is, then set the impedance selector on the head to the same impedance, then connect the speaker cable between the two. I checked the marshall website, but it's giving the cab's impedance as 16/4 ohms in mono, and, er, I'm not quite sure what that means... sounds like you have the option, but I'm not sure. You'd want to make sure what impedance the cab is, of course.

I'm not familiar with the 1960 models but most cabs that are either 4 or 16 ohms mono have two inputs, one for 4 ohms and one for 16 ohms, with a selector switch to run both inputs as 8 ohm stereo (this is how my Ashdown cabs are set up, and I've seen numerous other cabs set up the same way).

If it's the switchable mono/stereo set-up ^^^, then one side is parallel and one side is series.

If you have a 4 or 16 ohm output on the amp, switch it to mono, then plug into the side that corresponds to amp output.

If your amp is 8 ohm output only, then switch the cab to stereo and plug into either side, but you'll only be using one side of the speaker cab.
You got any idea how/where I can check the ohm output?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

^ does marshall have pdf manual downloads on its website? if so, that'd be the easiest way to check.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That might mean that the selector switch on the cab 'engages' either 4 ohm parallel or 16 ohm series wiring. Not familiar enough with that cab. But like Dave said, what ever you do make sure the impedance (ohms) match and play the amp without it being connected to the cab (speaker load).

Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm not familiar with the 1960 models but most cabs that are either 4 or 16 ohms mono have two inputs, one for 4 ohms and one for 16 ohms, with a selector switch to run both inputs as 8 ohm stereo (this is how my Ashdown cabs are set up, and I've seen numerous other cabs set up the same way).

yeah, something like that is probably how it works, thanks guys.

Quote by Eurozeppelin

it does affect the sound. I noticed a pretty big difference when i upgraded from planet waves to cleartones (which were half the price!)... though of course, just because a cable is dearer doesn't necessarily mean it'll be better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Eurozeppelin

Yeah, use a multimeter.

Respond back if you have one.

Set black and red testers on the other end of the speaker cable, the part that goes in the amp. Set the multimeter for 20 mA or ohms.

It will read something close to 4, 8 or 16.
Quote by Eurozeppelin

If you mean for the Windsor, it has a switch on the back to let you select 4, 8, or 16 ohm output. You pick whichever matches the cab.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Quote by scrambler_66
If you mean for the Windsor, it has a switch on the back to let you select 4, 8, or 16 ohm output. You pick whichever matches the cab.

+1

Just looked at the PDF from Peavey's website.

I also looked at the Marshall website and I was write - its got a 4 ohm mono and a 16 ohm mono jack with a selector switch to switch both jacks to 8 ohm stereo.

So all you have to do is set the Peavey's switch to 4 or 16 and plug it into the corresponding jack on the cab.
Ok guys, thanks for all your efforts checking the website, so forth, you've completely solved my problem.

Thanks!
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)