So I've been doing some research, and me and some friends are chipping in to buy my best friend a new pickup for his SG. After some research, I think the best pickup for him would be the Dimarzio Mo' Joe. This pickup is coil-tappable, but my friends Epi SG doesn't have that feature installed right now. I was wondering-

1. Can the SG become coil-tappable?

2. What do I need to make that happen (new pots? knobs? wiring?)

3. Rough estimate of how much it would cost.

4. Could the pickup be installed without utilizing the coil tap? (just use as a regular humbucker)

5. If it is installed without the coil tap, would it be possible to change it to coil-tappable in the future if my friend decides to?

Thanks in advance!

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
there is a thread about this in the GB&C
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
all dimarzio's come with instructions on how to wire both standard series, parallel and coil taped so you don't have to wire it that way

edit: if you did want to coil tap it then you would need new pots and some wire at least, personally i'd just wire it from scratch if i were going that rout, parts for a HH coil-taped should be less than $30
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 4, 2009,
1. for sure.

2. you'll need a switch installed. you can have a mini-toggle switch on its own, or use a push-pull pot. either way works, but a push-pull pot means you don't have to drill a new hole for the switch. then you just wire it up properly.

3. the price of the pickup, plus $5 to $10 for a mini toggle switch, or push-pull pot. plus a few minutes of soldering

4. yup, no problem with that

5. entirely, yes.

any more questions, though, and you should go to the 'Ultimate wiring thread' in GB&C
Quote by jc349
So I've been doing some research, and me and some friends are chipping in to buy my best friend a new pickup for his SG. After some research, I think the best pickup for him would be the Dimarzio Mo' Joe. This pickup is coil-tappable, but my friends Epi SG doesn't have that feature installed right now. I was wondering-

1. Can the SG become coil-tappable?

2. What do I need to make that happen (new pots? knobs? wiring?)

3. Rough estimate of how much it would cost.

4. Could the pickup be installed without utilizing the coil tap? (just use as a regular humbucker)

5. If it is installed without the coil tap, would it be possible to change it to coil-tappable in the future if my friend decides to?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes

2. A push - pull pot will work

3. Maybe $5

4. Yes

5. Yes
Okay I'm no expert on this but like people have said, you need to look at the proper wiring diagrams and getter the proper pot so you can pull up on it to split the coils. As far as pricing, all of that should be fairly cheap (not including pickups) and you can always install them without the coil tapping now and then do the coil tap mod later.
ok, thanks for all the replies.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Alf, I cant find the thread, which one?

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349
Alf, I cant find the thread, which one?

the Wiring thread can help you with that but i think all the questions you asked has already been answered
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
coil split?

some guitars come with only 2 wires per pickup.

when you've got a stock 2-wire pup then, you're kinda screwed if you want to add a push pull.
because one wire will go to switch and one to ground.

some better / other stock, and after market pups come with 4 wires. those 4-wire pups can be wired in many different ways.

basically i'm telling you to look for, buy 4-wire pickups if you want to coil-split.

coil tap is much harder and involves tapping into the pup.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011