i want a good rock amp.
i would rather have a OD boosted rock amp than a focused metal amp, to my ears when its done that way the power chords sound fuller and richer.
i have tried the 5150, 333xl, 6262 and peavey ultra, all of which the gain is so focused on metal that i hated the tone, it almost sounded solid state metal zone ish to my ears, i could hear the tubes but it was too clear and raw.
i have a marshall vs100 and i love it, but it only has 1 preamp tube, any suggestions on something that isnt necessarily 100 watts and has preamp and power tubes?

nothing peavey, or bugera..i love marshall but they cost soo much.

i like old school megadeth, testament, and that JCM800 tone but thats too much for me to spend and 100 watts is so much air to push that i could never use it for what its capable of.
Peavey Windsor, if you don't need cleans.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Uh Megadeth and Testament are metal, so do you actually know what sound you're trying to obtain?
a vox ac15cc or ac30cc may be up your ally, but their big and loud. the overdrive is warm and chimey though. you could also look at orange amps (expensive but very good) or the vox night train (which is supposed to be very good).
Quote by surface54
i want a good rock amp.
i would rather have a OD boosted rock amp than a focused metal amp, to my ears when its done that way the power chords sound fuller and richer.
i have tried the 5150, 333xl, 6262 and peavey ultra, all of which the gain is so focused on metal that i hated the tone, it almost sounded solid state metal zone ish to my ears, i could hear the tubes but it was too clear and raw.
i have a marshall vs100 and i love it, but it only has 1 preamp tube, any suggestions on something that isnt necessarily 100 watts and has preamp and power tubes?

nothing peavey, or bugera..i love marshall but they cost soo much.

i like old school megadeth, testament, and that JCM800 tone but thats too much for me to spend and 100 watts is so much air to push that i could never use it for what its capable of.

What's your budget? I have a really nice 20 watt model that great for rock/hard rock...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
look for a marshall lead mosfet. its a vintage amp from the 80s with a dirty overdrive distortion. check it out on your local craigslist or ebay. you can get em for under $400
bugera has some lower gain amps that you might like, some based on marshall amps

but just to get this straight you want a metal sound but from a pushed more hard rock oriented amp, sorry but you were kinda fuzzy on the details of what you actually wanted
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Vox Night Train
Vox AC 15/30
Bugera V 22/55
Bugera 1990

Not all Bugera amps are high-gain and sound saturated, the 1990 is a copy of the JCM 800
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
vox or orange definatley. i have a vox and it is good for rock AND metal. orange is awesome i would get that
Last edited by rockinguy33 at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by JayT44
Vox Night Train
Vox AC 15/30
Bugera V 22/55
Bugera 1990

Not all Bugera amps are high-gain and sound saturated, the 1990 is a copy of the JCM 800

+1

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by JayT44
Not all Bugera amps are high-gain and sound saturated, the 1990 is a copy of the JCM 900

Fixed.

And did you crank those amps, like for real? Because with lowered preamp gain and pushed power tubes those amps would've probably sounded much better, but I'm guessing you won't be playing at very loud volumes, right?
Quote by surface54
i want a good rock amp.
i like old school megadeth, testament,

those bands are metal!

My suggestion is a USED JCM 800 or a Blackheart Hot Head
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

those bands are metal!

My suggestion is a USED JCM 800 or a Blackheart Hot Head

Quote by surface54
You apparently didn't read the reset of that sentence.
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Oct 4, 2009,
Quote by Morgant
Fixed.

And did you crank those amps, like for real? Because with lowered preamp gain and pushed power tubes those amps would've probably sounded much better, but I'm guessing you won't be playing at very loud volumes, right?

this is very true

also ts, i know where you're coming from kinda, im anal about tone and i just find it much easier to get a good tone out of vintage higher gain amps than modern high gain amps which just seem to have too much gain for their own good
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by The_Bosstone
You apparently didn't read the reset of that sentence.

whoops

Randall RM20
Vox Night Train
Marshall Haze (its good, but too over priced in the US)
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Peavey XXX Super 40
OLD Marshall Valvestates
Krank Rev Jr. Pro (because the bands that the TS likes are metal and this amp can do Thrash metal to melodic death metal with ease)
feel free to add me
Quote by justinb904
also ts, i know where you're coming from kinda, im anal about tone and i just find it much easier to get a good tone out of vintage higher gain amps than modern high gain amps which just seem to have too much gain for their own good

Glad someone else out there knows what's up. I'd rather have the gain sweet spot at 8 than have it be at 4 with 5 to 10 being "more and more fizz"
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Vox Nightrain-Avatar 112/Clestion Greenback
Will work very nicely for what you want.
Quote by shredtildeath
Uh Megadeth and Testament are metal, so do you actually know what sound you're trying to obtain?

of course he does, it's an older school metal tone. Not really br00tz.

what kind of budget do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i was actually thinking of trying a 1990 but i dont want to find myself not getting enough bass out of the amp or it being too bright..

my budget is about 700-900. i would just get a JCM800 but 100 watts is alot to push in my house. though i can crank it loud, its a house, i play a 100 watt amp on about 2.

what if my budget was 500?
Quote by surface54
i was actually thinking of trying a 1990 but i dont want to find myself not getting enough bass out of the amp or it being too bright..

my budget is about 700-900. i would just get a JCM800 but 100 watts is alot to push in my house. though i can crank it loud, its a house, i play a 100 watt amp on about 2.

what if my budget was 500?

look at my suggestions TS
all the amps there are in the 500-900 range.

and can you go used?
if you picked the RM20 go check the modules list in my Geat for Metal Thread
the RM20 has a JTM module, a Plexi, an XTC, a Tread Plate (rectifiers) and much more

Good Luck!
feel free to add me
thanks ill look into both the 1990 and RM20. and the blackheart!
thanks do0ds you guys are awesome!!
i seen a review of the fuchs viper, that sounded awesome then i seen how much $3185
yeah right!
Quote by surface54
i seen a review of the fuchs viper, that sounded awesome then i seen how much $3185
yeah right!

its an amazing amp.

high quality parts, great cleans, great distortion, very versatile.
its like the perfect amp for me
feel free to add me
Laney GH50L

/thread

Ibanez RG1550 with Bareknuckle Nailbombs and Mothers Milk
1976 Gibson SG Standard
Peavey 6505
Framus 2x12 (V30s)

Quote by DarylCooper
Laney GH50L

/thread

i seriously think that this one has me the most intrigued.
50 watts sounds great, ive heard some clips of it before, a used one would be nice.