So i got my first Marshall a week ago. Not my first tube amp so i do know a little. Anyways I took it to band practice, turned it 3/4 the way up and played. After awhile the volume starts to spike at volumes past 1/2 and sounds really bad. That ends this day

Next day, replace the preamp tube with a spare set. make sure power tubes are OK. Plug in and play and no sound. after jiggling the volume knob it suddenly has sound again. Play for another hour. It sounds great, ending this day.

Today plug in and play and sounds fine. No problems till I'm home alone and get to turn it up to 3/4 volume again. SAME PROBLEM AS FRIDAY! let it cool down, check tubes. Play sounds fine and then does it monetarily and then it acts as if the volume is halved. Let it cool down and here I am. The volume it only about 1/2 as loud and the tubes are really, really hot (temperature), volume spikes every now and then too, but it sounds pretty decent.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Last edited by .Jamison at Oct 4, 2009,
On a bit of a budget right now and there arent any good shops around.
Gear
Is this amp new or used?

Sounds like your power tubes 'may' be getting ready to bite the dust. What do the tubes look like with all the lights turned off. Do they look really really bright?

It is also possible they just need a good bias adjustment. If you don't know what that means or not are familiar with tube amps, electricity and capacitors you may NEED to take it to a shop of find someone locally that can help you.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Is this amp new or used?

Sounds like your power tubes 'may' be getting ready to bite the dust. What do the tubes look like with all the lights turned off. Do they look really really bright?

It is also possible they just need a good bias adjustment. If you don't know what that means or not are familiar with tube amps, electricity and capacitors you may NEED to take it to a shop of find someone locally that can help you.

Theyre really bright, but not going down the metal part just in the top and bottom like normal in tube amps. It seems to be running really hot but im kinda scared to turn it on with those tubes in it. Gonna get some new EL34s and bias tomorrow and see if that works if not it's off to a repair shop :/
Gear