If I used a Squier Bullet Strat guitar with a Peavey Vypyr 15 amp, is it possible to have a decent metal tone? I've heard everywhere that Squiers can't play metal, but with the Peavey Vypyr amp is it possible to have a good metal tone?

Oh and the reason why I picked a cheap guitar and a cheap amp is because this is for my first guitar/amp.
Last edited by dsan224 at Oct 4, 2009,
You mean tone right? Tone? Not sound but tone? Please tell me you meant tone.
I have no sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Frets-On-Fire
You mean tone right? Tone? Not sound but tone? Please tell me you meant tone.

Lol I mean tone, sorry I'm new to guitar so I forget when I'm saying tone or sound.
It will be capable of 'a' metal tone. It will not be 'a good' metal tone. But that's to be expected, you get what you pay for. Beginner gear will not sound like the professional's gear, if it did then nobody would bother to use the professional gear. So yeah, you will be able to get a high-gain tone out of that guitar and amp. Just don't expect it to be anything other than what it is; a basic beginner's tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
It will be capable of 'a' metal tone. It will not be 'a good' metal tone. But that's to be expected, you get what you pay for. Beginner gear will not sound like the professional's gear, if it did then nobody would bother to use the professional gear. So yeah, you will be able to get a high-gain tone out of that guitar and amp. Just don't expect it to be anything other than what it is; a basic beginner's tone.

Will I be able to get a good drop C breakdown tone from it?

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bZqjontass

2:53 to the end.

At least something vaguely similar?
Yeah I don't know about that ace! It will have 'a' metal tone but it'll probably not be one you want. What you want friend is a humbucker in your guitar, so I would check Ibenez guitars. Those will probably give you more of a metal tone and feel but still remember all those cats on those records are professionals and are using professional equipment so don't expect a perfect metal tone out of a $300 guitar and amp.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by dsan224
Will I be able to get a good drop C breakdown tone from it?

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bZqjontass

2:53 to the end.

At least something vaguely similar?

Don't worry, when you start out you wont even be able to play a jonas brothers song. I say hold off on the drop tuning and learning songs until you learn proper technique and theory.
i have two guitars, an rg1570 and a squier bullet strat

the rg1570 is for jazz and lead playing, and i have the squier tuned to drop c to jam with my drummer buddy.

the tone i get is passable, theres only so much you can do with single coil pickups. BUT, a good pedal should rectify that.

all in all, don't worry if the tone isn't the best until you start gigging or jamming regularly. trust me, its not as big of a deal as you think. you can slap some distortion on anything and call it metal and it would work.
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by darkcheef
Don't worry, when you start out you wont even be able to play a jonas brothers song. I say hold off on the drop tuning and learning songs until you learn proper technique and theory.

I'm taking a guitar class in school and I have been learning very quickly. I can read tabs very well and I can play power chords, and choruses to some of my favorite songs. When I get a guitar and amp, I won't be a complete beginner, because every day I am practicing in my class. I know we have to play those old songs that the teacher tells us to, but most of the time we have free time and what I do is bring in some tabs that I print from my computer to school and I practice those songs. It's a LOT of fun. I know how to tune to drop D, but that's it, and I know some techniques. I'm not a TOTAL noob at guitar.
1. Buy Squier Bullet
2. Replace pickups with Humbuckers/actives
3. ????
4. Profit!
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
1. Buy Squier Bullet
3. ????
4. Profit!

Lol that old meme.
Quote by DeltaFunk
1. Buy Squier Bullet
3. ????
4. Profit!

only that would end up costing way more than getting a lower end RG.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Well, good pickups are pretty much the most important thing I think. Replace the pups with some humbuckers or with some stacked/single coil sized humbuckers. www.guitarfetish.com has good cheap pickups.
EDIT: You keep posting threads about what gear to get! Get that Dean, man! It beats out a strat for metal any day.
EDIT again: Get an ESP.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at Oct 4, 2009,
Quote by salsawords
Well, good pickups are pretty much the most important thing I think. Replace the pups with some humbuckers or with some stacked/single coil sized humbuckers. www.guitarfetish.com has good cheap pickups.
EDIT: You keep posting threads about what gear to get! Get that Dean, man! It beats out a strat for metal any day.

Lol guitar fetish, that's kinda weird lol.

And about the Dean, so many people say dean guitars suck though! So I don't know what to do, none of my nearby guitar stores have Dean guitars for me to play around with.
Well, I don't know what your budget is. I do know that Squiers are probably THE worst guitars for metal.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
Well, I don't know what your budget is. I do know that Squiers are probably THE worst guitars for metal.

My budget is 200 for amp and guitar, I've already chosen the Peavey Vypyr which is 100 so I want a guitar that is around 100-120ish.

I know really low budget but I want to be safe for my first guitar.
Quote by salsawords

But they are the best guitars for beginners, so what can you do
Well I think Dean gets a lot of bad talk for no good reason. The Dean's going to be better for metal. If you want, you could replace the bridge pickup later on down the line. Humbuckers are always going to handle distortion better than the single coils on the Squier. I say get the Dean.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by darkcheef
But they are the best guitars for beginners, so what can you do

Says who? It's terrible for metal. I hate my dumb Squier, that's why I'm rebuilding it. (CLICK THE LINK IN MY SIG!!! )
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
Says who? It's terrible for metal. I hate my dumb Squier, that's why I'm rebuilding it. (CLICK THE LINK IN MY SIG!!! )

Its a good beginner guitar because it is cheap, easy to resell, and is versatile since alot of beginners start wanting to play a certain genre, then they go to a completely different one. (Happened to me and I kick my self in the can that I got a "metal" jumpstart ibanez)
Quote by darkcheef
Its a good beginner guitar because it is cheap, easy to resell, and is versatile since alot of beginners start wanting to play a certain genre, then they go to a completely different one. (Happened to me and I kick my self in the can that I got a "metal" jumpstart ibanez)

To each his own I guess.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by billy0805
it sounds like you sir, are in need of one of these

Well you sir, are incorrect.

I will NOT get one of those starter packs. I don't need those books and DVDs and guides, I'm already taking a guitar class in school. I do NOT want one of those crappy amps, I will be getting a Peavey Vypyr amp. I can find a decent beginner guitar by myself and I can find a good price, I do NOT need to buy a starter pack.
Quote by salsawords

Ever occur to you that not everyone plays metal? Yeah I don't and a Squier Strat is a decent guitar to me. However you are correct in some respect when it comes to metal, you pretty much need a hot humbucker in the bridge for a good metal tone, also a good amp helps. So really OP if you want to try one of those Deans, go ahead and if you like it, grab it. You are the one buying the guitar, not us. I don't believe you will be happy with a Strat, my metalhead buddy started out 9 years ago on a Squier HSS Strat, and he still hates the damn thing, even though it's an excellent Squier, one of the best I've ever played but it's just not "metal" enough for him. I actually might buy it off of him, his lost, my gain. Squiers get a bad name because people don't take the time to actually set them up properly, fish out the lemons (which happens to Fenders and Gibsons) or it's just not the guitar for them. Again imagine a metalhead playing a hollowbody electric from the 30s, a priceless guitar but he'll probably hate it because it wasn't designed to play high gain metal music.
Good luck
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Screw the Bullet. The Vypyr is good.

Get a Ibanez RG321 and replace the pickups. Or get a Yamaha Pacfica and replace the pickups to fit your metal needs.
Quote by darkcheef

august burns red is weak sauce

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by dsan224
Well you sir, are incorrect.

I will NOT get one of those starter packs. I don't need those books and DVDs and guides, I'm already taking a guitar class in school. I do NOT want one of those crappy amps, I will be getting a Peavey Vypyr amp. I can find a decent beginner guitar by myself and I can find a good price, I do NOT need to buy a starter pack.

Angry much?

Quote by dsan224
I can find a decent beginner guitar by myself and I can find a good price

**** off then ....
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
Angry much?

**** off then ....

+1 internets, and is it just me or does every single beginner who posts on UG say "I am not a TOTAL beginner, I can already _____ and _____ and I can already play stuff like _____ because I learn REALLY FAST" when in reality they blow ass like EVERYONE does when they start. and that they all need to find out how to get BR00TULZ tone out of their Squier ****ocaster.

sorry for not contributing to the thread but I just needed to share my unwanted opinion with everyone :P
Quote by destroy_techno
this girl like said it was all screemz so I like punched her in teh face, serves her right stupid bish, don't fukk with Pantera