Page 1 of 2
Would you pay for a local band cd/album/demo? Have you previous? If so how much would you pay?
If I really liked them. I mean really really liked their music.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
probably not unless they were actually good, which is relatively unlikely, and 5$
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
If they're very good, and if the CD is at a reasonable price.

Or you could just befriend the band to get free copies?
Well yeah, duh. I mean I wouldn't if I didn't like them, but if I was a fan I would. In fact I have a few times before.

I wouldn't expect to pay too much though. No more than $8-10 for a full length and no more than $5 for an EP.
It wouldn't make a difference if they local, wouldn't matter if they're huge or local, if I like the band enough I'll but the CD.
"If I told you that, I'd have to kill you."
"Why is it like.. top secret?"
"No."

Last.fm
I've paid £10 for the album of a local band before. Even if they're not successful outside the local area I don't see why that should restrict them from making an income making music. If I like the band I'll pay for their music just like I would any other band...

Why should fame be the thing that increases the price?
If they were good.
Or if the CD was really really cheap.

I bought an EP off some dude at warped tour for a buck.

It's pretty good.
Yes, but most of them are my friends so I get a few quid off

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Hmmm. Well I guess it depends on if I liked them enough to discover whether or not their stuff is available for pirating...
if i liked them and it were reasonably priced
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
no. my bands eps are free. we wont charge until the full length is done. and then itll probably be $1 for the whole 18 song album. its not about the money. its about spreading the music.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
If I like 'em then yeh of course, but I'd only pay $5 or $7
Gear:

Epiphone 1966 Ltd. SG
Epiphone SG G-400 (RIP)
Yamaha C310P
Kustom Quad DFX100
Roland Microcube (... I use it as an ipod speaker now XD)
Boss Ns-2 Noise suppressor
Boss Md-2 Mega distortion
Boss Dn-2 Dyna Drive
Vox V847 Wah
I'd treat it like any other band's CD. If they're a good band making good music that i like then I'd buy it. For the price, probably around £5.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
I have, and I do. Only for bands I love though, a lot of our local bands tend to either be crap or really really good, so it's not a hard decision. They usually charge 5 bucks for a 5 song EP, some more, some less. I once paid five bucks for a 2 song, but they were broke and I really really really liked those two songs My friends' bands tend to give me their music for free, because they know I'll tell other people about them and get them more support/fans/shows/ect.
The most I've paid is ten, but it was a full album and they're my favorite local band, I swear they're a hundred times better than 90% of the mainstream metal, but they've refused to sign to a label and prefer to produce it themselves to stay local.
You're killing me Smalls!
Quote by shattamakkar
OMG ARE THOSE WAT I THINK THEY ARE!
I'd rather pay for a local band's music than for a massive act. The local guys need the boost. U2... not so much.
That said, if you go to the right shows, people hand out demo cds cheap or free pretty frequently in my experience
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
I'd rather pay for a local band's music than for a massive act. The local guys need the boost. U2... not so much.
That said, if you go to the right shows, people hand out demo cds cheap or free pretty frequently in my experience

Unfortunately a lot of regular joes see local bands as just inferior and not worth watching or buying their cd
Quote by FrustratedRocka

That's basically the bottom line here...you buy a U2 CD and it's money to the bank account of some massive corporate record label. You buy a CD from Sorry About Your Couch, and it's money for the band to buy gas to get to the next town.

If I go see a local band and like the show I almost always buy something just to support them...even if it's a t-shirt I'll probably never wear or a CD I'll probably never listen to.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
-Bob Dylan

Quote by Freezer Burn

Congratz on the having the longest wall of text ever!

Last edited by toaster_poodle at Oct 4, 2009,
Uh, if it's good, yeah.

Just like anything else.

Stop fucking making threads.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last demo I picked up was a band that was actually nice enough to email me the songs for free
Check 'em out. http://www.power-pirate.com/
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
i would rather pay 7.95 to get a local bands music from them than pay 7.95 to get a hugely famous band who dont need my money's album
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Quote by ManicBluesist
i would rather pay 7.95 to get a local bands music from them than pay 7.95 to get a hugely famous band who dont need my money's album

This. Im actually glad NIN hands theirs out for free.
Quote by slipknot5678
This. Im actually glad NIN hands theirs out for free.

+1
Am I the only one who actually takes the time to remix the stuff?
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Quote by toaster_poodle
That's basically the bottom line here...you buy a U2 CD and it's money to the bank account of some massive corporate record label. You buy a CD from Sorry About Your Couch, and it's money for the band to buy gas to get to the next town.

If I go see a local band and like the show I almost always buy something just to support them...even if it's a t-shirt I'll probably never wear or a CD I'll probably never listen to.

That said, I'll still pay for the big people's music. Metallica will get paid whether people steal their songs or not. The people it hurts are the indie bands who can't get signed because the record labels aren't willing to take chances.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

If we're talking about you, TS, then I'd suggest that you hand them out for free. Not many people are willing to pay for an unsigned CD, espceially if they haven't heard the band yet. What's important is that they hear the music.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by maidenfan15
If we're talking about you, TS, then I'd suggest that you hand them out for free. Not many people are willing to pay for an unsigned CD, espceially if they haven't heard the band yet. What's important is that they hear the music.

Well yeah we were considering whether to charge or not for our demo, but instead of bothering with CDs why not just make cardboard beer mats with your band logo on and the web address..and some offer for another gig or merch?
I only know of two local bands I would buy the CD of. My ex-band (we had like 4 CDs of proper black metal) and a friend of mines band who make intensely awsome experimental and progressive deathcore. Aside from that, not to many bands impress me.

EDIT: 5-10 dollars USD is the max. Thats all I pay for any music, though.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
I'd steal it from the local record store.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
No
No
Nothing
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
I'm more likely to buy a local band's cd than a big bands.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 2