I can't even tell whether it works or not!

I bought a Presonus Inspire 1394 off ebay. It came with a 6 pin to 6 pin connector. I am using a laptop, so I went and purchased a 4 pin to 6 pin connector. I tried it on my laptop first just to see if it worked. I am getting a new laptop soon, because mine is not powerful enough to record with.

The first problem that I experienced was that it was a bit difficult to get a steady connection. A red light on the interface meant that the power was connected, but it wasn't connected to the computer. The red light goes blue if it is connected to the computer. The light would alternate between red and blue rapidly on my laptop. I got a connection eventually and tried to record on reaper. There was a lot of latency. (ASUS computer runs Vista Buisness, 2gb ram, 1.66ghz dual core)

I then tried it on our most powerful laptop (HP, 4gb ram, 2.4ghz dual core etc). I couldn't even get it to connect at all. I used the same cord that I used to connect it to my laptop.

I also tried it on a desktop computer, that is weaker than my laptop. I had to use the 6 pin to 6 pin connector instead. It connected up instantly, but there was still a lot of latency when I tried recording.

So my problem is, I have a 2nd hand ebay product that I am uncertain of if it works properly. It could easily be the cord, but I bought it brand new and used it on the same day I purchased it. Also, should I expect a lot of latency when recording on a computer with those specs, even through a firewire device? I just want to figure out the source of the problem so I can quickly get back to the seller if there is something wrong with the interface.

Sorry that that was a lot of reading.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Not familiar with Presonus, but you should use the 6 pin-6 pin. Since it came with it, it's more likely to work better with the interface.
As for latency, look into "ASIO4ALL." I think it would work with Reaper.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
I'm not using the 6 pin to 6 pin because laptops only have a 4 pin connection.

Are you sure it wouldn't be the specs of my computer causing the latency? I also tried using Amplitube with my interface, and that had huge lag problems as well.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Last edited by grobbo91 at Oct 4, 2009,
probably your audio card. on laptops you cant change that but you can get an external one. You can get a new one for your PC and just swap it. Ask in other thread about it, buecause i really dont know much about computers.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI