So since the death of my Valveking (RIP Valveking), I've been looking into a new amp. Must be tube and around 50 watts. I have a little over $2000 AUD to spend on a new amp and want a versatile amp that can pump out enough gain for metal like Dream Theater and the clarity of guys like Paul Gilbert/Guthrie Govan/Jason Becker/John Petrucci.

Yesterday, I tried out the Mesa Express combo and was quite disappointed with the lack of gain I wanted. I tried out a Marshall JVM combo and instantly fell in love with the sound, even at low volumes it sounded awesome but the cleans were a bit mediocre.

Now, my original amp choice was the ENGL Thunder 50 but the store didn't have it in so I didn't get a chance to try it out. But from what I've read it's a great versatile amp and the sound clips on YouTube are very promising.

So yeah, I'm tossing up between the two amps, I like the crunch from the JVM but I haven't played the Thunder in real life before but I'd like some opinions from you UGers.

Bonus question! Will a 50 watt tube amp be able to heard properly in a place like Utopia with a full band?
Not a fan of the JVM... but if both of those are the same price, the Marshall is the better amp for the price IMO
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Used to own a Thunder (reverb combo) until last week, loved it. Only traded it because I have 2 other Engls. Go on youtube and watch chatreeo's demo of the amp, it's pretty good.