Hey guys, I've been wondering, is a fender MIM standard hss strat any good for metal?
I've looked at many LTD's and other metal guitars and they're all great, but i've always wanted one of these but i play stuff anywhere from blues to funk to pop-punk to maiden-ish style stuff to CoB type stuff.
Please do not suggest another guitar.
Also, if i buy it, i plan on upgrading the pups in the future, but how do the stock pickups sound?Do they get a good chunky sound when palm muted and what-not?
And finally, how thin is the neck?

Thanks
Slappa tha bass
Last edited by hootie37 at Oct 4, 2009,
strat necks are fairly thin, i dont know how good the stock humbucker is
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Just go try a strat... A strats a strat!

I use a strat for metal and I love the whiny tone I get out of it. Single coil though....
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Quote by Ghast
Just go try a strat... A strats a strat!

I use a strat for metal and I love the whiny tone I get out of it. Single coil though....

what type of metal?
Slappa tha bass
Sure you can play metal on an hss strat. I would suggest putting a more metal pickup in the humbucker spot. Probably emg, seymour duncan, or dimarzio. But there's no reason why that wouldn't work for metal. And strats are really, really comfortable, in my opinion.
what's your amp?

stock pups are a little thin, but you can always swap them out after you're squared away with your amp.

you just have to decide if you want a floyd or not.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i have a roland cube 30x and love it. it is great for metal IMO.

EDIT:
Quote by jj1565
what's your amp?

stock pups are a little thin, but you can always swap them out after you're squared away with your amp.

you just have to decide if you want a floyd or not.

it doesnt come with a floyd, it has the stock fender trem
Slappa tha bass
Last edited by hootie37 at Oct 4, 2009,
Quote by hootie37
i have a roland cube 30x and love it. it is great for metal IMO.

EDIT:

it doesnt come with a floyd, it has the stock fender trem

yeah i know. i'm saying, if you are trying to decide if yo want this guitar, then understand that a huge difference between a strat and an ibanez is the trem.

another is the neck thickness.

so make sure you dont want a floyd before you get one.

i happen to find them very comfortable.

and wt the cube you should be able to pull off metal tones.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

i know i definitely do not want a floyd, or the edge III trem, because i would never use it and it's just too much of a hassle for me
Slappa tha bass
Ive had a few Strats over the years MIA, MiM But this is by far my favorite!! it's a 09 MiM Floyd Rose. I just put the the EMG's and the D-tuna it has one of the finest Floyds I've touched!! I love the EMG SA's it'll get pretty heavy but there are better pick up combo's for metal.

^ it's a really nice guitar, and shows what can be done with a strat as far as teh br00tals goes.

basically TS, if you want a fender, you should get it.

it's most important that the guitar feels comfortable to you.
pups, and amps will shape the tone, and make it into whatever genre style you want.

it's not typical (cost effective) to buy a strat knowing you want a floyd.
so, since you know that's not even an issue, there's really nothing holding you back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 5, 2009,
thanks for all the help guys(especially jj1565). I actually am not getting this guitar until around Christmas when i have the money, but i just wanted to make sure i was getting the right one
Slappa tha bass