Hey everyone. I currently own two SSS strats (one is a Highway One, the other is MIM, both alder bodies). They're both great guitars but I would like a more versatile setup. So, I'm considering swapping the pickups on the MIM. I am pretty much set on some form of Seymour Duncan since I have played several of their pickups often and really like their tone. I want to keep a single coil sized pickup since the strat I'm modding is a splattercaster (google it).

I'm looking at the set that comes with a Lil 59, Duckbucker and a JB jr., since I really like the full size versions of the 59 and JB. How close to the single coil sized versions come to their full sized counterparts?

Are there other pickups I should check out (Hot Rails, Hot Stack, Screamin Demon, Blackouts, etc)?
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
MIM Strats are routed for SSS, HSS, and HSH so you can use a full size humbucker. You'll need a new pickguard but that would only cost 40 bucks max. I would recommend only changing the bridge pickup and doing an HSS configuration but thats just my opinon...
Read the OP, guys. It's a SplatterCaster. You don't replace the pickguard on one of those.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Read the OP, guys. It's a SplatterCaster. You don't replace the pickguard on one of those.

D'oh!
Well in that case I have nothing to contribute. Read lots of reviews, and not just the ones on the site that sells them.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Well technically you can...

*goes off on tangent about how you can repaint and then resplatter the guitar with the new pickguard on*

Anyway, TS, check out the seymour duncan Cool Rails. They look pretty ****in sick IMO
Quote by Schism1985

Anyway, TS, check out the seymour duncan Cool Rails. They look pretty ****in sick IMO

Judging pickups on aesthetics?

Anyone know a site that would have soundclips of either full size JB vs JB jr or JB jr vs Hot Rails? I've already been on the Duncan site several times so don't list that.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Youtube?

BTW, I don't think he meant they look cool as in aesthetics, but rather as a "I haven't tried them, but I've heard good things" way. My Charvel had a Cool Rails put in the neck at some point before I got it, and I can tell you, it's a fantastic pickup. Great mids and treble response with a smooth bass end. Not a particularly metal pickup, but great for medium overdrive and cleans.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by RhoadsLivesOn
Anyone know a site that would have soundclips of either full size JB vs JB jr or JB jr vs Hot Rails? I've already been on the Duncan site several times so don't list that.

YouTube is your friend! Here's a guy demoing the set you mentioned earlier (Lil' 59, Duckbucker, and JB Jr.). It's medium-gain, blues-based stuff, but it'll give you a general idea of the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcMo0JW7wI8

Here's another guy with the JB Jr. in the bridge playing with a lot more overdrive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO3KFL1m8DA
Last edited by RicoTheBeast at Oct 5, 2009,
i like this idea, cant wait to see more of this. especially the splattercasterness of it.

i had the same idea of doing HSH with jr.buckers, personally i was gonna go with GFS because theyre cheaper, but the duncans are supposed to be really good.
I've been on YouTube several times to look up pickups (I had actually already seen one of the videos). What I am looking for is a comparison between the full size and single coil sized JB and what the Hot Rails sound like.

lol yeah I knew that's what he meant about the Cool Rails, it just sounded a little weird the way he worded it (and the Cool Rails actually are sweet looking pickup).

Also any idea what neck pickup would get a really good John Frusciante tone for both his clean and dirty strat stuff? It doesn't have to be a Duncan (would be nice though since they're easy to find).
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Last edited by RhoadsLivesOn at Oct 5, 2009,
He just uses standard Fender pickups from old Strats. You could probably just buy a re-issue type set.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by RhoadsLivesOn
What I am looking for is a comparison between the full size and single coil sized JB and what the Hot Rails sound like.

Well from what I've read, there is going to be a slight difference between the single-coil sized humbuckers and their full size counterparts, with the latter being a bit fatter, punchier, etc. But, the single-coil sized versions are still going to be much different from a regular single coil. I would imagine that it would be difficult to find someone who would have done the comparision that you're looking for since swapping out guitar pickups of different sizes requires more work than the usual pickup replacement. The best you could do is compare clips of each pickup seperately, but even then you have to take into account different guitars, amps, effects, and so on.

Oh and here's a guy with the Hot Rails:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rWSUZQdlG4