I know a lot of people like to buy really high-end laptops and use them strictly for recordng.... yet I've got a terrible laptop with terrible specifications and it works absolutely great for me. If you're curious:
1.3 Ghz CPU, one core
1.25GB ram
30ishGB HDD
basic poop audio card

Whats the point in getting high end computers? Do you all use plugins that rape and pillage your CPU or something? I'm thoroughly confused.
wow, that must run slowly when you try to multitask
i wouldn't buy a comp with that little memory for anything
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
well i have a 4GB RAM 3.0Ghz quadcore PC and i often run out of memory and get freezing and crashes, but i do use a lot of vsts like Superior Drummer, which is 60gb in size as well as big piano vsts.

listening to the stuff you seem to be using it sounds very basic software but you wouldnt be able to run several big vsts together or worse perform drums or keys like that live.
Quote by RPGoof
I know a lot of people like to buy really high-end laptops and use them strictly for recordng.... yet I've got a terrible laptop with terrible specifications and it works absolutely great for me. If you're curious:
1.3 Ghz CPU, one core
1.25GB ram
30ishGB HDD
basic poop audio card

Whats the point in getting high end computers? Do you all use plugins that rape and pillage your CPU or something? I'm thoroughly confused.

hmm i guess you dont run extensive plug ins? those specs are pretty low. i guess it comes down to how many tracks and all the efx you run. say some one has 2 guitar tracks a bass vocal and 8 drum tracks. say you run amp sims? thats 3 amp sims loaded up. maybe you also have external eq'ing,compress etc..... each drum has its own eq and osme put reverb on the snare, maybe compressor on the kick etc.... the list goes on. it really depends how much you use. for me one gig i useless. sd2.0 takes up liek 550 mb of ram, pretty much over a gig. so yea
Yeah I don't know how I manage. My laptop is sometimes faster than my family's desktop (2ghz dual core, 2.5gb ram, 250gb hdd) but it's probably because I only install what I need and I'm running on XP. And I don't use any VST plugins and I use software that doesn't eat a ton of memory, so that probably helps. A lot.
I actually recently upgraded my mixing software to the latest and greatest and theres a million new features so it'll probably eat more memory than the ancient outdated one did... lol