The low B string on my new ibanez 7321 buzzes but none of the other ones buzz. It's only on the 5th and sixth frets, and only on that string...sooooooooo

Why is that happening? I have gauge .10 strings and i am tuned down a whole step(A standard).

Oh, and the low b string also makes a weird noise when i play it. almost like a bass string or something. idk, it's like a weird, dull kinda noise. As I said, it's hard to describe. but maybe someone has heard it on their guitar or something...
because you're tuned down to A... 25.5" scale guitars dont handle A well, most of the time.

and about the string making a bass string sound... think for a second...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
because you're tuned down to A... 25.5" scale guitars dont handle A well, most of the time.

This, and it could also be uneven frets. Those are a bitch. MY strat has them and I really need to get it fixed.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
It sounds like a bass string because it basically is. As for the action, try adjusting the saddle height slightly.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
the specific buzzing on certain frets is from, as mentioned earlier, from uneven frets. if you already have your action really low, you can attempt to make the buzzing less of an issue by slacking the truss rod just a bit. Maybe a 1/4 turn and then let it relax for 30 minutes and see if the buzzing goes away.

The RG7321 isn't a high end guitar (not a bad one either tho!) so it may not be possible to have very low action like you might be able to get on a like an prestige ibanez.

as far as the weird noise on your low tuned B-string, you'll need to elaborate on the noise, is it chimey? buzzing? you mentioned it was dull.. are your strings fairly old?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Oct 4, 2009,
Quote by Kivarenn82
the specific buzzing on certain frets is from, as mentioned earlier, from uneven frets. if you already have your action really low, you can attempt to make the buzzing less of an issue by slacking the truss rod just a bit. Maybe a 1/4 turn and then let it relax for 30 minutes and see if the buzzing goes away.

The RG7321 isn't a high end guitar (not a bad one either tho!) so it may not be possible to have very low action like you might be able to get on a like an prestige ibanez.

as far as the weird noise on your low tuned B-string, you'll need to elaborate on the noise, is it chimey? buzzing? you mentioned it was dull.. are your strings fairly old?

But it's only the 5th and sometimes 6th fret(s) on the b string. it doesnt do it on any other string

and the sound is like...it sounds like when you it a bass string really hard, how it gets that weird dull kinda sound....
Quote by Nirvana00125
But it's only the 5th and sometimes 6th fret(s) on the b string. it doesnt do it on any other string

and the sound is like...it sounds like when you it a bass string really hard, how it gets that weird dull kinda sound....

It seriously sounds like an uneven fret as I just said.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by SPBY

you know, it's people like you on UG that annoy me. Instead of just helping me out, you have to give some sarcastic answer.

And I have friends who play 7 string ibanez's that don't buzz when tuned down.
Quote by Nirvana00125

not really.. i play both bass and guitar, and don't hit my strings too hard. does the timbre change? chimey? how close are your pickups to the strings? does it distort or compress?

and the guy who mentioned the uneven fret is likely right. you can test this by getting a small flat edge and placing it on the suspected high fret (i'm gonna guess its the 7th fret since it buzzes when you fret the 5 or 6th). if it happens to rock back and forth like a teeter totter, then you have a high fret.

you can get a pro to hammer it back in (don't try this yourself with a steelfaced hammer please..), or use the truss rod to work your way around it.. the second is only a bandaid solution, but probably the most feasible for a rg7321.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.