Basically, my biggest gear issue is that I murder my strings. I would appreciate some help here.
I play guitar anywhere from half an hour to 3 hours a day, and my hands are on the sweaty side. Also, I don't think it helps that my city is pretty humid, or that I keep my guitar in the basement (amp underground = don't wake the baby next door). As a result of this, my strings basically turn black after about 2 weeks. I use Ernie Ball STHB's.

Basically, I'm wondering if there are any products I can use to remove or prevent string corrosion. If anyone tells me to use GHS Fast Fret, they lose a testicle. I want the strings cleaned, not waxed.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
GHS Fast Fret. Jk.
Invest in a dehumidifier, so your strings aren't exposed to so much moisture. If you want to actually clean your strings once they're dirty, then:
1) Loosen the strings up (tune them wayyy down)
2) Place a sheet of cardboard or something in between the strings and fretboard
3) Take a soft cloth or old T-shirt and rub down and/or scrape each individual string, removing all the black stuff.

The above method will remove almost all of the grime, gunk, and grease from your strings. WARNING: Every time I clean them using this method, I have a string snap within 3 days of doing it. So it might wear them down alot.
If you could turn into a member of the opposite sex, would you make love to your former body? Think about that.
I had the same problem with sweaty hands after playing a long time, what i found out to really help though is if you make some Natural tea and soak your hands in it for like 15 min,
the anti oxidents in the tea shrink your pores in your hand helping you sweat less and less the more you do it. and its a long term treatment. ~ so hope that this helps.
We have a dehumidifier in our garage, cost us about $60. Works well, even though we don't even use it for practice or storage anymore. Just keep it at 40-45%. Too much humidity is bad, but so is too little.
Elixir Strings.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
OK...
I don't think I'll use the T-shirt thing - the point is to have to change strings LESS.
As for the Elixirs, I've used them, and while they do last forever, I don't really care for the tone, which is why I switched to Ernie Balls. That said, they do make coated strings, so if I can find a coated set of the 10-52's, I'll definitely get them.
I have a dehumidifier, so thanks for that tip. Now if only I can get the folks to tell me where it is...
And I'll definitely have to try the tea thing. Thanks for the help everyone.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by snowboarder371
I had the same problem with sweaty hands after playing a long time, what i found out to really help though is if you make some Natural tea and soak your hands in it for like 15 min,
the anti oxidents in the tea shrink your pores in your hand helping you sweat less and less the more you do it. and its a long term treatment. ~ so hope that this helps.

sorry, but is it natural to intentionally change your sweat glands to make you sweat less?
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Vodka on a shirt works in a pinch if you're of age... Just about any alcohol does.

You could try ethenol or isopropyl, the kind of rubbing alcohol you use to take off nail polish, on it with a shirt? Just wet a piece of cloth, detune to loosen the strings up, pull them up so you can slide the shirt on it without getting the fretboard all alcoholly, and you should be good to go.

Dr. Ducks ax wax also works great, albeit a little greasy at first.
Guitars
'89 RG-550
'92 Talman
'08 Les Paul Studio
Parkwood PW320M
Schecter Stiletto Custom 4

Amps
Fender Blues Junior
Kingston Halfstack
Blackheart Little Giant
Acoustic B20

And way too many effects.
Last edited by TheTrebleMaker at Oct 5, 2009,
Quote by SOADriff
sorry, but is it natural to intentionally change your sweat glands to make you sweat less?

yeah its perfectly fine, theres no side affects to it what so ever.
think of it like putting deoderant on in the morning but you have to do it less & less cause its more of a long term treatment helping to prevent the problem.

( your hands will sweat still occasionally but it will just be less heavey of sweat then usual.)

* it also works with feet and armpits. just throwing tht out there.
Quote by snowboarder371
yeah its perfectly fine, theres no side affects to it what so ever.
think of it like putting deoderant on in the morning but you have to do it less & less cause its more of a long term treatment helping to prevent the problem.

( your hands will sweat still occasionally but it will just be less heavey of sweat then usual.)

* it also works with feet and armpits. just throwing tht out there.

this is the most interesting advice I have ever gotten off of the internet. Thank You.