who do you think? the decades coming to a close, who's the best out there right now?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
There is no best guitarist, nor will there ever be a best guitarist. Everyone is better at certain things and everyone has a different style... This is pointless...

I listen to so many different bands that it almost annoys me when non-music types ask what my favorite band is, lol. There is no way to tell to be honest. Unless the question is whoever you think is one of the most talented for a certain genre or style or something..
Most people on UG aren't very nice.

That is my signature.

This is true.
Quote by Religulous
There is no best guitarist, nor will there ever be a best guitarist. Everyone is better at certain things and everyone has a different style... This is pointless...

I listen to so many different bands that it almost annoys me when non-music types ask what my favorite band is, lol. There is no way to tell to be honest. Unless the question is whoever you think is one of the most talented for a certain genre or style or something..

On what you said. The better question is, who are some up and comers to look out for. Those who show promise to music as a whole and who will be able to inspire generations to come.
Quote by Religulous

Looks like we've got an elitist here. Just answer the question, you prick.

And of the decade? Really hard to say ... John Mayer. I can't really think of anyone revolutionary this decade.
Well if you're limiting it to the 00's, i guess Herman Li and Sam (even though they are very sloppy, they can write). But i might even be mistaken as they could be from the 90's?

Wow, the 00's didn't do anything at all... except create a bunch of whinging emos.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
Well if you're limiting it to the 00's, i guess Herman Li and Sam (even though they are very sloppy, they can write). But i might even be mistaken as they could be from the 90's?

Wow, the 00's didn't do anything at all... except create a bunch of whinging emos.

man doesnt it suck! and hows the vt100 im thinking of getting the 50.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
man doesnt it suck! and hows the vt100 im thinking of getting the 50.

****in hell mate, best 80s metal tone i've heard. and it has really nice jazz clean. But the 12" speaker is more bass heavy, but i reckon it really fattens ur sound (unlike those huge marshall stacks, some of them sound sooo thin for thier size), but yer i'd highly recommend it, all my 80's metal is covered with it, and my mate got a very nice classic rock tone out of it for his Led Zepplin tune. And for the price it is, i don't think there's even a second thought.

So really to sum it all up, it was one of those amps that i instantly fell in love with.

Hope that helps.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by greennblue10
Looks like we've got an elitist here. Just answer the question, you prick.

It's elitist to say there is no best guitarist?
Quote by julzius
****in hell mate, best 80s metal tone i've heard. and it has really nice jazz clean. But the 12" speaker is more bass heavy, but i reckon it really fattens ur sound (unlike those huge marshall stacks, some of them sound sooo thin for thier size), but yer i'd highly recommend it, all my 80's metal is covered with it, and my mate got a very nice classic rock tone out of it for his Led Zepplin tune. And for the price it is, i don't think there's even a second thought.

So really to sum it all up, it was one of those amps that i instantly fell in love with.

Hope that helps.

that description kind of turned me on. i think im going to get one of those now.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Every single great guitarist around I can think of was already around in the 90's.

Geez, did the 00's really suck that bad? I'm going to look through my iTunes collection and reconsider.

EDIT: OK, so the guy from The Fall Of Troy (Thomas Erak) is pretty good, and The White Stripes' debut album is from 1999, as is Muse's so I guess they would semi-count.
Last edited by Kenbeek at Oct 6, 2009,
Claudio Sanchez, Travis Stever, Thomas Erak, Paul Waggoner, Luke Hoskin, Tim Millar.

There are tons of great guitarists from this decade but some people in this thread are close minded and think that "whining emos" are the only thing that happened this decade
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Jack White.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I would have to say Brendon Small of Dethklok. I would say Buckethead but he's going on 2 decades.
Quote by BK202
Pretty much this, add Thomas Egak, Matt Bellamy, and Claudio Sancez though.

and i screamed claudio-o. screamed claudio-o. i wish god...
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Matthew Bellamy, Jonny Greenwood, Tom Morello, Kirk Hammett, Adam Jones,

Basically the guitarists from all my favourite bands

Quote by julzius

Last edited by 1nSingularity at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by 1nSingularity
Matthew Bellamy, Jonny Greenwood, Tom Morello, Kirk Hammett, Adam Jones,

Basically the guitarists from all my favourite bands

Out of those 5, only Matt Bellamy is sort of from the '00s. (debut album is 99). The rest is '90s, and kirk is '80s.
Carl Barat, Daniel Kessler, Nick Valensi, Nick Zinner.. All from the noughties
Does it offend you, yeah?
Quote by Brian Bucket
I would have to say Brendon Small of Dethklok. I would say Buckethead but he's going on 2 decades.

Dont you mean Skwisgaar Skwigelf
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
Quote by Cameronrobson
90s

He released two albums with at the drive-in in the 90's, he's released 9 albums with the Mars Volta and Defacto in the 00's, and that's not even including his quartet.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by soundgarden19
He released two albums with at the drive-in in the 90's, he's released 9 albums with the Mars Volta and Defacto in the 00's, and that's not even including his quartet.

... and four EPs .
<3 everyone who said Claudio.

He is definitely the best guitarist of the decade.
Quote by Bunnyburn
<3 everyone who said Claudio.

He is definitely the best guitarist of the decade.

2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
that dude from alterbrige is prety colo
Last edited by FURPUS at Oct 17, 2009,
Someone said John Mayer (gutsy move, buddy) and I would agree that his blues stuff is indeed excellent. I also agree that modern metal was generally this past decade's torchbearer for talented guitarists.

But, my choice for best guitarist who came to prominence in the 00s is Jack White. When it comes down to it, unlike most of the artists listed thus far, I can listen to Jack's stuff any time. I don't have to be in a certain "mood" for The White Stripes. The only other band that does that for me is The Beatles. While I'm not trying to suggest that Jack White = John Lennon, I think it does say something about Jack's considerable range of styles. He incorporates 60s pop/rock, classic blues, 70s punk, hard rock, country, etc. I admire his reliance on minimalist, catchy riffs, as well as his energetic, if not always accurate performance. He's more into conveying the emotion than perfect articulation, as evidenced by reliance on cheap, sometimes detuned, guitars; this is an endearing trait, in my opinion.

For those unfamiliar, here are a couple of my favorite videos of Jack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03YUgHAshSo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz3U8j8BAgc
Last edited by ApexGT at Feb 21, 2010,
Alexi Laiho. Hate his vocals so much I can't listen to most of their songs, but the guy can sure as hell play.
i think mike portnoy with his snare
''We still struggle with the fact that one percent has ninety-nine on their knees.''
Quote by VirtualBramm
i think mike portnoy with his snare

i like how my thread randomly comes back 4 months later.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
i like how my thread randomly comes back 4 months later.

You're welcome.
"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, just let them go, because man, they're gone." Jack Handy

http://aurora.dmusic.com