Whats up? i got a gibson baldwin LP(one of the cheap oo's) with a little maybe 10w amp, and i need a better amp for my style of music and to help my tone. i just need a practice amp, not gigin yet. I mainly play rock, hard rock, and a little metal. So i need a amp with some distortion!!! and effects would be sweet. i wouldnt like to spend anymore than 200-250, which ill prolly buy it used. ive read that the vyphyr, vt, and roland cube are good, any truth to this and why? or whats the best one for me?
thanks, btw i did search b4 i posted haha
I use a Behringer V-Tone gmx210. People say it sucks, but ive been fine with it so far, especially for metal. 60w 2x10 with 100 effects, 27 possible amp/speaker combinations, and a footswitch for 2 channels (you can only use one effect at a time, but there are effect sets such as "phaser", "phaser/delay", and "phaser/reverb". Ive noticed it has a much larger array of effects than say a Spider III, with things like a harmonizer, several different types of reverb, and an auto-wah. You can set the depth of each effect from 1-100). I also really like huge variety of ports on the outside. Just from memory, theres a tape in/out, aux audio, effect in/out, and midi. Although, last i heard it was discontinued. I got it for 200 USD
Last edited by sporkman7 at Oct 4, 2009,
With your budget and the mention of Metal, the main thing that comes to mind is the Vypyr 30.
ive heard problems with the vypyr though. i love all these features and everything about it, but how reliable is it?
can someone spread some truth on these vypyr's?
The last 3 times I went to guitar center to try out various Fenders and LTDs, I used a Vypyr because of the huge versatility of sounds it can provide, I never had a problem with it. Granted, i've only played through a vypyr maybe a total of 3 hours, but I liked it so much I actually considered buying one to keep at my friend's house so I wouldn't have to lug my main amp back and forth whenever we jammed.
yea a vyper 30 is going to be perfect for you, my friend has one and he loves it. GET ONE lol
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Mg 15dfx
Boss dd-3
Korg PitchBlack
Isp Decimator

Quote by madh4ttr
+10 to you and GO RED SOX
Ive only played a Vyper a handfull of times, but each time I was impressed. The Spider III Jam and Fender Cyber Twin were fun, and if all you need is a jam/practice rig they are both very good and viable options. If tone is your number one, look to the Vyper first, and try to get your hands on the Sanpera Foot controler. I havent seen a Vyper out on the gig trail yet, but I know that it can be done. I can say from experience that a Spider III sounds like a bag of smashed a$$holes with the master volume up past 12oclock. I giged with it twice, and that was enough.

Dont rule out getting a small tube combo and some pedals. The uber basic nature in functionality can be very appealing. Consider this, if one could have a unit with hundreds of effects and an almost inffinite possibly of combinations within those effects, why would anyone use stompboxes? They have that unit, its called a multi effects processor, and last i checked, pedals still hold the majority on the smaller and local gig scenes. There's a certian sexiness too it, a certian simplicity.

I can say that multi effects built into an amp are fun at first, but they wain over time. They did for me.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Oct 6, 2009,
but multi effect have to be atleast Gmajor level to sound good
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
This thing here

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TBX15R-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480939&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=46838011

The most lovely solid state amp I've ever played. It's annoying because I never get as much range with other people's practice amps and am reduced to overloading the eq circuits and maxing out the drive or volume.

I usually have it set with the mid frequency at 11 o clock, the mid level at 1 o clock, and the bass and treble to taste. With the gain at 3 o clock on the clean channel I get a nice blues overdrive for my squier. Crank the gain a bit more and raise the volume and ya get a baba o riley power chord fun fest.

Obviously no tube amp, but well worth the price if you need a portable SS amp.

I also own a crybaby wah with it, most awful wahs I've ever played on, but after you get used to it you can do some pretty cool stuff.
Last edited by Plexi81 at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by O.O Meow O.O

Dont get me wrong, the axe FX and G major are great multi effects/modeling tools, and sound great. But thier price is thier only drawback. If the G major was 100 bucks, and more guitarists used rack mounted gear, we'd see a hell of a lot more of them.

....Perhaps I could use a rack.......
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
my friend has the 30 watt vypyr and loves it and it would be perfect for you and I have the 120 watt tube version and it is awesome for gigging they take some getting used to but you'll love it
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
I'd consider-
Good tone
-Vox AC4TV

FX
-Fender SCXD

Vyper was ok, nothing special. Go play all the amps and then decide.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by bigjuice_7
ive heard problems with the vypyr though. i love all these features and everything about it, but how reliable is it?
can someone spread some truth on these vypyr's?

I've had one for about six months and havent had any issues with it...
Take care of it and it should be fine....
Quote by O.O Meow O.O

not because things like the tonelab SE and the boss GT-10 (used by opeth and by marty friedman) are ****ty at all.....

Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by aradine
not because things like the tonelab SE and the boss GT-10 (used by opeth and by marty friedman) are ****ty at all.....

Its not that they suck, or have bad tone, thats not it at all. All Im saying is that the reason you dont see more is that some musicians prefer the simplicity and on the fly functionality of stomp boxes. That, and I believe that there is a sertian sexiness to the stompbox as a unit.

Tone Lab, the GT-10, ME-70, Zoom G9.2tt, they all sound great! Then why dont more people use them? There even cheaper than two, even one good stompbox in some cases, so whats the issue?

I think its just a preference issue.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
ok so the vypyr 30 over the 15?
and how does the vypyr compare to the cube and vox vt30??
i believe these are the only competitors.
Quote by jc349
I'd consider-
Good tone
-Vox AC4TV

FX
-Fender SCXD

Vyper was ok, nothing special. Go play all the amps and then decide.

Once again good advice from jc, look at those plus the crate v5/v8 palomino if you want a small tube combo.

If you want SS, the vox ad/vt series or the vypyr would be your best bet.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.