2 years ago I picked up my local news paper and was skimming through the classifieds and noticed an add.The add said alarm clock and amplifier $80 obo.
I gave the number a call and an old lady anwsered and said the amplifier was real old and was maid by some company called fender!I told her I would be there in 5 min.Turns out this old amp was a 65 blackface twin SOLD.The amp was her sons and he was the head of a small religious outfit.He used it for a pa and had discarted the original baffle board and speakers and made some custom board full of horns and such.I made a baffle board from baltic birch,re-capped,replaced the tail resistors.re-tubed and put in some old junk speakers I had lying around (messa black shadow and crate vc 30 speaker)
This amp sounds great but needs a matchig pair of new speakers.I realy like the celestion vintage 30s but dont have the cash for them.I have heard good things about warehouse vetran 30s.
Anyone have any experience with them or any other price effective alternatives to the vintage 30s
Check out the Cannibas Rex by Eminence

Not sure how similar they are to a vintage 30, but they get great reviews for vintage amps.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Oct 5, 2009,
Do not put vintage 30 speakers in that amp or any Celestions for that matter.

Seeing that you got the amp for $80, I highly suggest you save up the money to put a set of Weber Ceramic California 12s with aluminum domes in there. They're $105 a piece but for a Twin, you really want that JBL D120 sound.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 5, 2009,
Aluminum will give you a brighter, edgier top end. It depends what you want, I only suggest aluminum domes because it's closer to an authentic JBL D120F which you'd never be able to find for a reasonable price. But a lot of people think that the speaker w/ an aluminum dome can get harsh and piercing, so some guys actually like a paper dome, but an aluminum dome is really closer to the "traditional" BF twin speaker. I'm sure some people will suggest Jensen reissues and whatnot, but as far as I'm concerned, a BF is at it's best with a JBL type speaker.

Just listen to Jerry Garcia's tone on the Europe '72 album, that is very similar to the sound one would expect w/ a twin running into a pair of JBLs (though is are the E120s rather than the D120s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXPVRLpoQA

His lead tone (skip to 1:50) in that is one of my favorites of all time.
thanks for the clip.My pa's bass bins are loaded with 60's jbl 15's and they are amazing speakers.great quality in fact I just had them reconed 2 years ago for the first time.I guess myself and many others got there moneys worth.Is the quality still there in the new jbl's
I just put a WGS Green Beret (Greenback Clone) in a 1x12 cab and i Have to say I'm not only impressed with the sound which is Awesome but the Quality of the sepeaker is as good as any Celestion's i own. I like the midrange bark of the Green Beret.....might be something that interest's you?
Green Beret is 25 watts, a Twin Reverb is going to blow out a pair of those by the time it hits 5 on the dial. In general I have just never thought Celestions have sounded all that great with Fender speakers. I've always preferred a cleaner, more American voiced speaker, especially for overdriven sounds out of a BF Fender (though that's really loud)
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 5, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Green Beret is 25 watts, a Twin Reverb is going to blow out a pair of those by the time it hits 5 on the dial. In general I have just never thought Celestions have sounded all that great with Fender speakers. I've always preferred a cleaner, more American voiced speaker, especially for overdriven sounds out of a BF Fender (though that's really loud)

I don't know why i was thinking it was a 22watt amp.........must be the 112. Yeah good call hate to give advice then have some blow something