I've read on these forums someone say having all true bypass is bad, is this correct? I love true bypass pedals because when its not on they don't suck tone, but is it bad to have say 6 pedals on your board all true bypass?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I fail to see why it would be a bad thing...
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
As you said, you love true bypass pedals. If you don't think that it is a bad thing then its not, art is subjective.
If you are asking for other peoples opinions then mine would be no, I don't think that having 6 true bypass pedals is a bad thing. I have a few on my board, and right now I'm happy with my set up.
If you have a long chain of true bypass pedals, it WILL suck your high end due to the capacitance of the long cable. A pedal with a good buffer is better than a true bypass pedal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
If you use passive pickups, it probably a good idea to have a decent buffered pedal in a long chain else you might end up with a weak signal by the time it hit's your amp - and that's tone suck-age.

It's not that true bypass is better. If a buffered pedal sucks tone... well it just sucks. There are true bypass pedals that suck too. You shouldn't get hung up on "true bypass", just get decent pedals.
Last edited by 667 at Oct 5, 2009,
it depends,
if you only have short cables then no
if you have 25 feet of cable between your guitar and pedals and another 25 feet between your pedal and amp then then having all your pedals with true bypass can be a bad thing when they are all off and you have 50 feet of cable killing your tone
if you have at least one pedal on all the time then you're ok
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I'd say if you've got a long run of cable from the end of your board to the amp, or if you have any more than 5 pedals, you're probably going to want a buffer at the front of your board.

It's really about cable length. I'd try not to have any more than 30 feet worth of unbuffered cable.
^Thanks. I'm only using short cables in between pedals, like short as I can make them so they fit nice. That cleared it up for me, thanks guys.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
May i ask a question in your topic? haha

I use wireless, so I dont need a buffer in the first pedal right? As the cable from the receiver to the guitar has like 20cm...

But the cable that goes to the amp has 5m, do I need a buffer?

I have 4 tbp pedals...
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
^ It's the signal strength that matters really. Your wireless system most likely boosts the signal to a level that wont be problem going through to your amp.
Quote by nightraven
this is why i like to hype up the boss tu-2. slap it at the beginning of your totally TB chain and you get a buffer (and one that's far better than the usual boss stuff)
This.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by nightraven
this is why i like to hype up the boss tu-2. slap it at the beginning of your totally TB chain and you get a buffer (and one that's far better than the usual boss stuff)

Agreed fully. People make far too much fuss about true bypass pedals.

Hell, Joe Bonamasa (who has some of the nicest guitar tone in the business) says:

"Its a stock Vox Wah.. I like having the non- true bypass switch.. I like the high end subtraction."

If you honestly hear a good buffered pedal and go 'god, that's really sucking my tone', you're either overly pedantic, or have just had your ears syringed.
if you like your current pedals you could just buy a standalone buffer. that'd make the most sense.

try your amp with your cable straight in, and then through all the pedals. if you hear a difference (and you don't like the difference, of course!), then get a buffer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?