I was wondering if any of you could tell me your opinion of what ever guitarist should know if their first year. I guess you could call it the basics?
I can't seem to think of anything I don't know and wanna make sure.

But I have 2 other questions for who ever also wants to answer them.
What was the hardest thing for you to learn on the guitar? (Not counting songs)
Do you use your thumb to fret sometimes?

All questions that are answered are appreciated.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
everyone learns at different speeds, do you feel youve acomplished enough in a year?

the hardest thing iv learned is how to phrase reasonably well

i dont use my thumb (classicaly trained) i no lots of good players who do, but i was tought not to use it
These kinds of questions are rather useless--referring to your first question.

Hardest thing for me... well I can come up with a lot of things-- keeping my pinky from traveling too high off the fretboard, inside picking or arpeggio picking, using a strong clear legato technique with the absence of unwanted noise.

I do not use my thumb to fret.
Do you have a clear idea of where you're going as a musician, are you enjoying it?

Those are the fundamentals.
Another question you can only answer yourself.

If you have decent technique and are starting to apply it musically then you're probably progressing quite well with guitar and music. There's probably more you can do, but only you will know what.

Just bear in mind that even if you devoted 5 hours a day, every day of the year; even in 30 years there will still be things you will need to improve on. It's a journey, not an assignment.
get the rgt syllabus and determine your grade from that, some peeps take 6 months to do grade 1 some take a year and anything between or over that time, it`s down to how many hours practice you put in and how quickly you motivate yourself to get out of a rut.
Quote by unicornfist
I was wondering if any of you could tell me your opinion of what ever guitarist should know if their first year. I guess you could call it the basics?
I can't seem to think of anything I don't know and wanna make sure.

But I have 2 other questions for who ever also wants to answer them.
What was the hardest thing for you to learn on the guitar? (Not counting songs)
Do you use your thumb to fret sometimes?

All questions that are answered are appreciated.
There is no specific place you should be after a year - like the other guys have said are YOU happy with your progress? Thats what counts. As for not being abot to think of anything yu don't know - that probably just means you don't know enough to identify all the stuff you don't know. Which isn't a problem, it just means you need to identify where you want to go next with your playing. You never stop learning, you'll never know everything, there will always be someone beter than you and there will always be someone that knows something you don't, so don't worry about running out of things to learn - it won't happen

Hardest thing to learn - for me probably muting effectively for fast-ish runs (cos I can't play fast yet lol)

Do I use my thumb to fret? Sometimes - when I do its normally for chords, and sometimes I use it to mute my low E string. But not often.
The hardest thing for me is sweeping (and I'm still trying to do it) my pinky doesn't help at all.
And no, I never use my thumb, to begin with, it feels awkward and I can't help bending the string and makes everything sound like crap.
If it makes you feel any better I can only bend the tip of my thumb about half way (i dislocated and bent it right backwards), and as it is I think my hand is too small for that technique anyway

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON