Hi, I'm 14. Because of this, I feel many people who listen to my music won't take it seriously, or even listen to it at all. I haven't yet made a MySpace or whatever is currently most popular as a way of finding bands atm, or even finished recording any of my songs, but it is probably still useful for me to start thinking about ways to promote myself when I have.
The music is a a progressive death metal thing, with black metal influences, because some ways of promoting won't with certain genres I guess.
Any tips on how to promote it without people knowing I'm 14, who I am etc until I'm 18 or so?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
i badly want you in a band with me coz it sounds like you're probably not just making the same old palm muted power chords crap that all my mates at school always do. unless you're all talk. anyway, find a group where there's others like you, they do exist and do make good music and people do take them seriously, maybe not adults, but other kids their age. I'm not sure what you've got in England but near where I live there's a youth club that has rehearsal space and a small 'recording studio,' as well as heaps of other non-musical stuff like pooltables etc. And they get lots of good musicians there, in proper bands, and the best ones actually do get noticed, one backed up Airbourne and Parkway Drive (that's fairly big over here). It's good coz it's a chance to learn about public performance without having to worry too much about screwing up.
14 years old and already thinking about that. Not bad. Not bad. There are all sorts of things you could do.
Just checked some of your youtube stuff. Not bad at all!
Anyways, there are plenty of musicians and stuff that got popular when they were only 16. Best thing to do is get exposure. That means recording stuff for your Myspace and Youtube. You are already starting that, keep going. There is also getting your local attention. Check out some different clubs and stuff. If you have a band or at least a good enough solo act, see if they will let you play. Start doing other music with people your age. Local talent shows and stuff. Check out local festivals and stuff too. I know one band that isn't really popular round here got my attention at the Cherry Blossom Festival in San Francisco. Anywhere you have people perform music, try it. You can get pretty far by being zealous and asking. Don't look at a place and say "no way, I'm not old enough to perform there." People get places by seeing opportunity and taking it. Something I learned from my Computer Science teacher. Take every opportunity you can find.
I wouldn't look at trying to cover your age until you are 18. I wouldn't recommend saying your age in the beginning either. Don't lie about it (unless its totally beneficial maybe?) because it could screw you over in the end. Let people judge you by your talent, not your age. To help do that, don't get strung up over your age, show off your talent.
I used to do all sorts of things around your age. I was working with a student filming group that got employed to do all sorts of filming stuff. That was right around your age too.

Just sayin, try and get whatever exposure you can. Every little bit counts. You never know who is watching.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Thanks so far guys, I take it the general gist of things is that i don't need to be anonymous, despite my age, and it will still be taken seriously?

Tom, It says 29 because I just clicked a random number over 18 to get past the '18+' filter which was on a lot of black metal bands' videos before google took over. I used to go to one of those sorts of things with that in mind, but unfortunately the band I had was just group of guitarists (with one playing a bass...open notes only ) and got nowhere due to lack of being able to play more than powerchords. My friend Jamie from school however often helps me try to come up with some ideas for drums.

Chaos Nil, I plan to start making the drums (midi unfortunately) when I get a laptop, because 1) my computers sound system is buggered, 2) its portable so I can record parts at mine and my dads house - guitars here and bass/piano and keys there.
If I made a myspace, how many songs should I have written (and recorded) before hand?
I thought of playing some of them next year during the romsey festival, where there is a small section for heavier bands, would it be a bit gimmicky to wear a mask (eg. a white acting mask) ? I know I'd walk of if I saw a very very short person with no backing band come onto the stage, unless there was something interesting about them

again, thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

Quote by Chaos Nil
Let people judge you by your talent, not your age.

^This. I also checked your youtube vids, and your playing is pretty damn good, ESPECIALLY considering your age. If you can play like that I wouldn't worry about anyone judging you unfairly. To help things along though try to keep things looking/sounding clean and professional. ie. Higher quality youtube vids, decent sound for demo recordings, professional looking Myspace layout, etc. If things don't LOOK like they were done by a 14 year old then people will be more inclined to stop and take a listen. And then when they like what they hear they'll do some more research and realize "Wow! This guy is only 14 years old. I should keep an eye on him. He's going places".
Quote by Erkekjetter
^This. I also checked your youtube vids, and your playing is pretty damn good, ESPECIALLY considering your age. If you can play like that I wouldn't worry about anyone judging you unfairly. To help things along though try to keep things looking/sounding clean and professional. ie. Higher quality youtube vids, decent sound for demo recordings, professional looking Myspace layout, etc. If things don't LOOK like they were done by a 14 year old then people will be more inclined to stop and take a listen. And then when they like what they hear they'll do some more research and realize "Wow! This guy is only 14 years old. I should keep an eye on him. He's going places".

Yeah, the short half-album I'm writing atm is a elongated metaphor concept album, so people won't really expect that it's wrote by a child

Lots of people lie about their age in entertainment, though usually they say they are younger than they are. Just make something up.

One band I know of did a really neat thing. The group was called Prozzak and they had a minor hit in the dance/electronic charts with a song called "Strange Disease." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szk2xYIVKrQ This is a decidedly youth-oriented market. The guys in this project made a video that was all animated with that Japanimation-style stuff. It worked. It wasn't until later that it was leaked that this project was actually made up of some 40-something guys whose main project was a jazz/roots/pop project called Philosopher Kings.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
You sound very mature for your age and I don't doubt you're a better musician than most of the 14yr olds I've seen but still...what's the rush?

What are you aiming to achieve by promoting your music? Are you trying to promote gigs, sell CDs, or what?
The "gimmicky" mask idea actually isn't that bad IMO. Japanese people do it all the time. A lot of Japanese youtube musicians hide their identity, doesn't mean they never get a name for themselves, like Tissue-hime.
I would also recommend a minimum of three songs for your myspace. Any less and it looks under-developed and just breezed over. Work on either buying or borrowing some sound equipment to have some good audio go through. I don't usually listen to something that that sounds under 128kbps.
Axemanchris, thanks for the advice! I think I could try something like that if I brush up on my animating skills. That is one hell of a weird video .

Kyle, I just want to have my music out before I'm 18, simple as that I guess

Chaos Nil, thanks, I was just checking because I thought it might seem like i'm getting rid of one 'gimmick' (how my friends view child bands) in place for another. And I don't like listening to things under 128kbps unless its purposely recorded that way e.g. Burzum

Its one of those things, quality audio brings out a guitarists skill. Its kinda like you know how good a guitarist is when they aren't running through an amp that only gives out distortion. (see disclaimer). If you have bad quality audio, you can't hear the good quality guitar playing. Its like having all the technical skill in the world and playing on a guitar that is out of tune. It just wont sound all that great. That's why I suggest investing in a little bit of audio equipment. I have no idea what is really good for guitar recording, I was used to just using all the Shure SM58's when I did audio stuff (and lavaliere mics, and a boomstick) since we didn't really record instruments all that much. You might be able to get away with recording into one of those things by Line 6 into your computer where you can add backing tracks and all that.

Disclaimer: I understand you play death metal which uses distortion and I have nothing against that, just that it is true that a lot of people shove a ton of distortion to make them sound better.
Quote by metallicafan616
Axemanchris, thanks for the advice! I think I could try something like that if I brush up on my animating skills. That is one hell of a weird video .

Kyle, I just want to have my music out before I'm 18, simple as that I guess

Yes but 'out' how? Do you want people to hear it at gigs, or buy CDs, or just listen to you on Myspace? There's no point in promoting unless you have a clear goal for it (ie to get interest from a label, to make money or perhaps play some gigs).
Krys is very right. I didn't think much of the statement since it was directed towards him. You should start establishing goals. Do you really plan on getting a huge record label on your side, if not very soon but even as a long term goal? Is it really your goal as a profession? I don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but its rather unlikely to be signed to a large label. Its like the kids in middle/high school who's goal it is to be in the NFL. I'm not saying you can't aim for the top, but you should also take realistic steps and be prepared for things if it turns out you can't achieve it.
If your goal is to just go around and gig places and keep it as a hobby that makes some side money, cool. My darkroom photography played some instruments (guitar was one I think) and had a group of friends who would play music at a club/bar or something once in a while over in Berkeley. Are you looking for fame in the form of something like Boyce Avenue or Terra Naomi who got famous from Youtube?

Just wondering really, what do you plan on doing with your musical talent? Do you have any other plans for what you want to do with your career life?
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Black Tide yet. The mainstaged Ozzfest 2 years ago, and the youngest member was 14.

Also, watched your one video, thumbs up on the playing. Also thumbs up on the Bodom-related username.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX