Hey . I am 14 years old and have been playing guitar for 4 years. I practice guitar 3 -4 hours every day and work hard. I know lots of music thory coz i finish music school in piano this year . I dont want to sound like one big ego , but i know that i am really good for my age , all my teachers say that and all my m8s who know something about guitar playing say that . I have a band who actually are just buch of jerks who can only make some **** every gig and i am always ashamed . I always feel that i dont belong there , i feel that i can do something lots better . In my town there is no other my age bands , all another bands got 18 - 22 year old members . I will never get to those bands and there is no free instrument players either , with who i could make my own band . So what to do ? How to show pople my skills ?
My own music channel in youtube maybe ? With my covers and own songs ?
I also have my own home studio if that would help .
Any suggestions !
Thanks !
well..you have just asked a question that is really hard to answer ...
if I am right you are looking to form a band with people that share your same ideas and tastes for music ....share the same level of technical skills ...at the same time down to earth people ..

Trust me mate ...its really hard ...to even find a single person who you have
great writing chemistry with let along a bunch of people .... its the reason why a LOT
of artists give up ...cuz they just dont get lucky enough to get the right people around them to
make a good band .... my advise ....ditch that way to thinking ....go solo ....seriously ..think about it...would you rather rely on yourself and that way not let yourself down or
depend on someone else to make music hoping that they are dependable and things go right ?

since you have a studio ...do you songs on your own ....record all the instruments yourself ...
and when you need them ..hire session musicians to perform live or record any instruments you dont know how to play ....

thats just my opinion ....if you think its BS ....then just get yourself out there as much as possible ...using mediums like you tube ...live gigs ....my space ....just about any opportunity to present your work
Well this may sound slightly harsh but most people (especially at your age after playing for the amount of time you have) think they are far far better than they actually are. Its a standard phase when you reach a point at which you start being able to play along to songs and leads which are deemed by some to be difficult. The thing is that usualy people at this stage are really not playing them very well and just because they can play along in time to the song does not mean they are not playing it sloppily and their ears are just not yet accustomed to judging what is and what is not 'sloppy'.

I have been a guitar teacher for a few years now and have seen this many many many times, it is not necessarily a bad thing because it then makes you want to play even more and usually eventually you start to discover you were not playing as well as you thought and correct that (sometimes I need to give people a nudge in the right direction to point this out). This is why your guitar teachers tell you you are amazing, its encouragement to keep you going and to push you further. Look on youtube and you will see it is completely saturated with players like this who think they are considerably better than they are, id say about 90% of them are playing sloppily, some try to hide it by putting the backing track ridiculously loudly whilst many just play on obliviously...these videos are still mostly rated pretty high, not because they are playing well but because the average guitar player is not experienced enough to be aware of what they are doing (and many are going through the same phase), they probably think the reason it does not sound half as good as the songs they are covering is because they are not using the correct amps and such.

If you really want to see how clean you are try recording (with a line in for the best clarity) yourself doing some shredding (with no backing track), listen back to it and pay close attention to the string changes, the mark of a sloppy player is that the string changes are extremely obvious (usualy due to clipping the string when doing so creating noise). It is a bit tricky to explain but the sound you are going for is as though everything you are playing is on one string, not pitch wise of course but tonaly, each note should be completely clear with no difference between the notes on the same string and the notes when you change. It takes a while for your ears to develop to notice these things but to experienced players it is very very clear and is the kind of thing you just cannot get away with in a studio. Also watch out for doublepicked notes where there shouldnt be, try slowing the track down (there is lots of free software avaliable for you to do this) to make sure every note is how you thought it was.

Do the same with your rhythm playing also, take some of the more technical riffs you think you have learned, put up a click track in the background and record TWO guitars playing the same thing on top of each other. Listen back on the recording and see if it matches up perfectly as though it was just one playing, also listen out for outside string noise.

Im pretty much positive you will find that you are not playing as cleanly as you thought, do not be discouraged by this though, its perfectly normal and the sooner you notice and accept it the sooner you can start combating it. If however you think you are playing perfectly then personally i would be very very interested to hear it....post it up on youtube (even if it is just an audio recording) or email it to me and ill give my opinion. As with what to do band wise well just because you are a better guitarist than your peers does not mean you cannot jam! Even if you are the only guitar player you can still play with a drummer and bassist (the advantage of those instruments being you can heavily simplify songs to a point where even a fairly average musician can play a fairly technical song without it sounding too bad) and you can still write and record your own riffs and songs so I would say work on that. That way when you get to a point where you are old enough to know decent musicians you can have a huge stockpile of material to work on and will have plenty of song writing experience.

I hope this helps!
w0w u have an own studio!! nice, well, there should be some musicians in your area, post flyers and stick stuff on walls :p
Quote by ChrissyChiChi
Well this may sound slightly harsh but most people (especially at your age after playing for the amount of time you have) think they are far far better than they actually are. Its a standard phase when you reach a point at which you start being able to play along to songs and leads which are deemed by some to be difficult. The thing is that usualy people at this stage are really not playing them very well and just because they can play along in time to the song does not mean they are not playing it sloppily and their ears are just not yet accustomed to judging what is and what is not 'sloppy'.

I have been a guitar teacher for a few years now and have seen this many many many times, it is not necessarily a bad thing because it then makes you want to play even more and usually eventually you start to discover you were not playing as well as you thought and correct that (sometimes I need to give people a nudge in the right direction to point this out). This is why your guitar teachers tell you you are amazing, its encouragement to keep you going and to push you further. Look on youtube and you will see it is completely saturated with players like this who think they are considerably better than they are, id say about 90% of them are playing sloppily, some try to hide it by putting the backing track ridiculously loudly whilst many just play on obliviously...these videos are still mostly rated pretty high, not because they are playing well but because the average guitar player is not experienced enough to be aware of what they are doing (and many are going through the same phase), they probably think the reason it does not sound half as good as the songs they are covering is because they are not using the correct amps and such.

If you really want to see how clean you are try recording (with a line in for the best clarity) yourself doing some shredding (with no backing track), listen back to it and pay close attention to the string changes, the mark of a sloppy player is that the string changes are extremely obvious (usualy due to clipping the string when doing so creating noise). It is a bit tricky to explain but the sound you are going for is as though everything you are playing is on one string, not pitch wise of course but tonaly, each note should be completely clear with no difference between the notes on the same string and the notes when you change. It takes a while for your ears to develop to notice these things but to experienced players it is very very clear and is the kind of thing you just cannot get away with in a studio. Also watch out for doublepicked notes where there shouldnt be, try slowing the track down (there is lots of free software avaliable for you to do this) to make sure every note is how you thought it was.

Do the same with your rhythm playing also, take some of the more technical riffs you think you have learned, put up a click track in the background and record TWO guitars playing the same thing on top of each other. Listen back on the recording and see if it matches up perfectly as though it was just one playing, also listen out for outside string noise.

Im pretty much positive you will find that you are not playing as cleanly as you thought, do not be discouraged by this though, its perfectly normal and the sooner you notice and accept it the sooner you can start combating it. If however you think you are playing perfectly then personally i would be very very interested to hear it....post it up on youtube (even if it is just an audio recording) or email it to me and ill give my opinion. As with what to do band wise well just because you are a better guitarist than your peers does not mean you cannot jam! Even if you are the only guitar player you can still play with a drummer and bassist (the advantage of those instruments being you can heavily simplify songs to a point where even a fairly average musician can play a fairly technical song without it sounding too bad) and you can still write and record your own riffs and songs so I would say work on that. That way when you get to a point where you are old enough to know decent musicians you can have a huge stockpile of material to work on and will have plenty of song writing experience.

I hope this helps!

Heed this advice, and if you're as good as you think you are you'll only get ridiculously better.
@ ChrissyChiChi what if you play with just a click track. as in practice the cover songs with just a click track if would that be better to notice the the things u mentioned?
In response to draeday no I dont think it would be better to notice mistakes than the things I mentioned as frequently you will think you are playing something perfectly because you are hearing in your head what you are aiming for when in reality you may be making lots of mistakes you are not noticing, this is why I think recording yourself is the best way.

It is still great to practice with a click track of course and is something you should do as frequently as possibile but when you think you have learned whatever it is you were practicing I strongly advise recording yourself playing it (to a click track). Then listen carefully to the recording and pick out the problem areas, isolate them and practice them till they are sorted...then pat yourself on the back and eat some cake.

The back patting is optional but the cake vital.
ok kool i'll do that but i'll need a mic because i have an acoustic guitar and thing
It's not about age. Of course your my age so people all like. "hey he's playing guitar and is young, he's really good." Others will go WOW and not noticed the other guy shredding away and he's melting my face. I get mad at that.

Well youtube, myspace, and if you feel confident. Take your amp outside and jam away to get yourself noticed.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.