Hey UG'ers, so my brother's heading over to Japan later this year and needs gift ideas.

Japan, being heralded for its love for guitars etc. I Wanna know what's out there ... in japan specifically. Things that are more accessible/cheaper -musically speaking- in Japan than in Australia.

Anything I should be looking at, any ideas?? I'm willing to stretch my wallet.

Any ideas for pedals, pups, acoustic stuff also appreciated, cheers!
Hmmm...Made in Japan Ibanez and Yamaha guitars? I donno....
Edit: Also rule of thumb is 100 yen = $1 USD
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Last edited by Chaos Nil at Oct 5, 2009,
ibanez prestige and coparisson(probably spelt it wrong lol) thats the best stuff coming out of Japan atm.

really though it depends on your budget and what you think is missing most from your rig.
Japan has some amazing exclusives by ESP. They're well worth taking a look at.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
ibanez prestige and coparisson(probably spelt it wrong lol) thats the best stuff coming out of Japan atm.

really though it depends on your budget and what you think is missing most from your rig.

Not cool bro, not cool at all...

Anyway I'm not sure if customs still have that $1000aud limit for bringing **** in but you might want to see what the go with that is.

Anyway this is off another forum so you may strike gold if your brother is anywhere near here

Again Jonas - you're a lucky lucky man. Any chance you can write me up some directions for Musicland and Ikebe as I couldn't find them the last time I was in Japan and I'll be over there again this Christmas!

yeah no worries, theyre really easy to find! just around the corner from shibuya train station and theyre both within about 50 feet of each other

Oh btw if he is heading during November then he might be able to pop over to Japan's Musical instument fair which is being held Nov. 5-8
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Not cool bro, not cool at all...

Anyway I'm not sure if customs still have that $1000aud limit for bringing **** in but you might want to see what the go with that is.

Anyway this is off another forum so you may strike gold if your brother is anywhere near here

Oh btw if he is heading during November then he might be able to pop over to Japan's Musical instument fair which is being held Nov. 5-8

sorry, i did say i might of spelt it wrong
If something exists, you'll probably find it over here.
: D
Where abouts is he gonna be, I can ref you to some stores?
Quote by ibanezgod1973
sorry, i did say might of spelt it wrong

Haha yeah I know I wasn't being serious
Japanese strat, just for the uniqueness.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Norifumi Shima's signature Schecter strat.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Look around for a Mosrite guitar while you're in Japan because they are hard to find anywhere else.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Oct 5, 2009,
I'm gonna suggest you check out one of the old SG Yamaha guitars from the 80's if they have any used. Great stuff.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
navigator, bacchus, edwards, MIJ versions of tokai, greco and burny, orville by gibson, epiphone japan, fender japan, caparison, jackson stars, momose, ESP, fujigen, schecter japan, sonix, van zandt... etc. etc. etc. That's not the half of them, just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for all the help guys! much appreciated, though at this point I'm not sure a guitar is too travel friendly for my brother as he's going city hopping =|

what's the word on other guitar gear in japan? pedals/effects, pups etc, are they cheaper/more accessible there than in Aus, again any input would be appreciated. Cheers!
Quote by Jiro from GLAY
Its now 100yen = $0.89USD

Thats why its rule of thumb. If you said something is 53000 yen, it rounds to about $530. A little more than that but not by too much. You will just be off by 10% .
If he's going to Tokyo, try a place called Ochanomizu, it's literally a whole street of guitar shops.

My friend lives in Australia, he says stuff is cheaper here, though I can't comment on that.

EDOT: In the last link, the first two posts are in Ikebe Guitars in Shibuya.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Oct 6, 2009,
^AntiG3: Yeah, looking at exchange rate and the things I see for people in Australia, things are a ton more expensive there. Really too bad.
Any guitar stuff is availiable in japan ;D
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I