So i have a hand wired cusom built 60w Roccaforte.
It sounds amazing for cleans or vintage plexi crunch.
(it has a master vol and gain)

the problem is.....I play metal. ultra hi gain metal!

I got it from an endorsee for such a good deal i could not pass it up.
I figure when im old and in to that vintage sound I will be really stoked on it.
Ive been checking out a lot of distortion pedals to try to get the tone i want.
but they have all been lacking.

the other day I got to play a guys rack system with a Engl e530
and it was siiiiick!

I found they run alot cheaper than the engl fireball (that i love the sound of).
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have an fx loop added to my amp and run the Engl preamp into it.
Instead of spending more to get a power amp and full rack system?
and puting my amp in a closet till im 40.
If its not going to cost the earth to add the loop then it sounds like a nice plan.

Also the nice bonus is that theres a whole myriad of different preamps out there so you can chop and change as your tastes change.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
If its not going to cost the earth to add the loop then it sounds like a nice plan.

Also the nice bonus is that theres a whole myriad of different preamps out there so you can chop and change as your tastes change.

This. Go for it if adding a loop isn't too expensive.
WTLTL 2011
If you got such a great deal on it, why not just sell it for a profit then go buy what you actually want/need?

Why do you automatically assume that you will be into that "vintage sound" when you get older?
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist
If you got such a great deal on it, why not just sell it for a profit then go buy what you actually want/need?

Why do you automatically assume that you will be into that "vintage sound" when you get older?

Sell it??? but then I wouldnt have a vintage sound for my arsenal of tone.
im not sure if you have heard these amps, I work at a rehearsal studio in Hollywood and get to hear vintage and boutiqe amps every day. when i heard this one i was blown away. it made me start playing ac/dc and zep. thats stuff i have never been into. I know for a fact that i would never let this amp go. this amp sounds better that any vintage style amp i have heard and the better i get, the more genres of music i get into.
I dont think ill ever stop playing metal. and some day ill save up for a Engl SE but I know that I would regret getting rid of this amp.
and it would cost 150 for the loop mod and 300 for the engl preamp till I can save up 3000 for the SE