Hi all,

I recently picked up the opening riff and chorus of Joe Satriani's If I Could Fly, and as some of you may know, the intro riff involves a lot of sliding. Now, my guitar is made out of plywood for all I know, and it's a bolt-on neck, so sustain is not exactly one of it's stronger attributes. Not that it has a lot of those, but alas.

So my problem is that if I have to slide to three or four different frets consecutively without picking, my sustain totally abandons me after approximately the second note. Now, an obvious way to fix this is to pick more of the notes, but this does change the feel of the song plus I'd then have to relearn it once I get a proper guitar...

So is there anything else I could do to fix this problem? Some effects that might help or anything? I'm using distortion, and that helps some, but I still can't let notes sing like I'd want to..

Last edited by MrKoks at Oct 5, 2009,
Quote by MrKoks
get a proper guitar...

You could ofcourse, try a sustainer, but the real soulution is to get a good geetar.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Yea I was aware of that and I'm already planning my next guitar but the funding's a bit slow... I was just wondering if there was anything else I could do, preferrably without buying new gear, as I'd rather save it all for the next guitar.

I might have to check out what a sustainer would cost though, but if they're not affordable I'm not going to bother... I'll just have to live with it for now. Even though it does annoy the crap out of me.
Try turning gain up way high. Apart from that, you can try rapidly picking/sliding in one movement as your sustain starts to die.

Eg. If you need to slide to 7 from 5 then to 9, and your sustain runs out in between 5 and 7, once you get to 7 pick again really quickly before sliding to 9. Might not sound like the record, but you have to make the best of the equipment you have!
Have you got any boost/ overdrive/ sustain pedals? Or you could turn up the gain on your amp, or buy a new guitar.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Quote by MrKoks
Hi all,

I recently picked up the opening riff and chorus of Joe Satriani's If I Could Fly, and as some of you may know, the intro riff involves a lot of sliding. Now, my guitar is made out of plywood for all I know, and it's a bolt-on neck, so sustain is not exactly one of it's stronger attributes. Not that it has a lot of those, but alas.

So my problem is that if I have to slide to three or four different frets consecutively without picking, my sustain totally abandons me after approximately the second note. Now, an obvious way to fix this is to pick more of the notes, but this does change the feel of the song plus I'd then have to relearn it once I get a proper guitar...

So is there anything else I could do to fix this problem? Some effects that might help or anything? I'm using distortion, and that helps some, but I still can't let notes sing like I'd want to..

Bolt on necks do not affect sustain. My EJ strat sustains longer than a lot of Les Pauls.

There are ways to pick the note that it'll sound like it's just sustaining, but you have to have good timing and be articulate about it. It doesn't exactly change the feel of it, you're just using what you're limited too to learn the song.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Bolt on necks do not affect sustain. My EJ strat sustains longer than a lot of Les Pauls.

Not to mention that Satriani plays with bolt on necks.

Turning up the gain is one way but also, make sure it's not your technique. Make sure your applying enough pressure with your fretting finger to keep the note & the string in motion.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Oct 5, 2009,
Alright thanks for the replies I'll try to make the best of what I've got.
Looking at my technique was actually the first thing I did and I do believe it could be better when I'm playing up to speed, so I'm slowing it down some more to work on it. I think I underestimated the song because of all the slides.

I do have some distortion pedals but if I crank the distortion too high it starts sounding like utter ****e.
And my amp is a spider III, which does have a drive knob (which is gain I suppose) but that doesn't do a whole lot else then make the sound muddy, so I'm not sure that'll really help..

Oh and point taken on the bolt-on necks, I wasn't sure. But the fact that Satriani actually uses bolt-on necks, and that he plays the song, should prove it.
Learn to vibrato properly
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Does that help the sustain? I didn't know that. I hadn't really thought of my vibrato as something to work on..
I disagree that sustain problems could be caused by your guitar.

Make sure you're strings aren't really old, and also you might be releasing the strings slightly without realising. This would cause the notes to die out.

If it really is your guitar, where the hell did you get it?! I think its more likely your technique thats causing the problem.
Yea I've been looking up some lessons about vibrato and trying to work on it, haven't had a lot of time to practice though, unfortunately. I just put on new strings last week so they're fine.

And I'm not trying to blame my guitar but I do think I have to add it was €95,- with the amp. New. And I haven't found the brand name (Hudson) anywhere. Ever. O.o
you can turn your gain up higher than you need, then turn your guitar volume knob down to half and when you are losing the sustain you need turn up you volume knob. Works for me on longer sustained notes.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by jemeput
try to get a different guitar.. if u cant... then just accept the fact u cant play this song properly with ur guitar...

It's not the guitar. If his guitar is setup properly, then it's his technique.
Quote by MrKoks
Does that help the sustain? I didn't know that. I hadn't really thought of my vibrato as something to work on..

If you're sliding a few frets vibratoing the target note keeps the string vibrating...otherwise the friction of you sliding along the string means you lose some of the energy from your initial pick attack.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by FallsDownStairs
It's not the guitar. If his guitar is setup properly, then it's his technique.

+1

It's not the guitar. Most of the problems you will encounter when playing guitar are down to technique. Very rarely you will get a guitar that is so badly set up that it is almost unplayable- but this can almost always be solved by adjusting the setup!

I have to stress though: guitar setup is almost never the problem. When its a problem it'll be something like: intonation, tuning stability, electrical fault, or volume issues. Not the action (unless the strings are about 2 inches from the fretboard, in which case the neck is probably broken!).
Thanks once again mighty UG good suggestions here

Alright then, firstly practice it is xD I'll just have to reassess my technique I suppose..

But I have never had my guitar set up, it plays okay I think, but I'm a beginner. So should I get it set up anyway? I don't really know what to look for that might need fixing, besides the action which is fine by me, and I don't think it can go much lower without touching the first fret.. thoughts? (Didn't think I'd have to make an entire new thread for this short question )