Page 1 of 2
Before starting, location is Rockhampton, QLD, Australia.

So I bought this jackson RR3 transparent red off ebay from 700km south for AU$700, and had it shipped up via aust post. It arrived this morning a week after posting with the tip of the long wing broken off, as seen in the pic

Now obviously I was shattered. But since crying won't get me an RR3 intact, I was wondering on thoughts of getting it repaired. I've talked to my friend who works at the local guitar store, and he would get his coworker to assess it when I went in with it.

The point of this thread is to ask whether others have had accidents result in situations like this and whether they've just glued the pieces back together and kept going? Or just scrapped the guitar, especially with pieces the size of this. Hope I haven't just bought some expensive Duncans.

So yeah, UnHappy New Guitar Day to me.
Get in contact with the guy and tell him what happened straight away.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
How was it shipped? Like in just a box or in a case? I've seen just the ends of tips breaking off via shipping but never seen a break so deep into the wing.
Yeah I've told the seller and showed him photos of the situation, he packaged it pretty damn well with 3 layers of bubble wrap and secured in the box. He was just as devastated upon seeing that pic as I was opening it. We talked about the postage but he doesn't know if the post was insured as his girlfriend took it to the post office. He's yet to get back to me about that.

I don't hold him responsible, as the packaging was quite good. My best guess is that it wasn't handled with care in its trip up the coast (I probably should have asked for 500 fragile stickers to be placed on it) and has been dropped or harshly bumped at some stage in transit.

All I'm really worried about at this stage is cutting losses and getting what I can out of this guitar, and figuring out whether others have restored their guitars from such damage. Come Saturday I'll be in the local store getting it assessed and hopefully repaired.
Quote by rooster87
Yeah I've told the seller and showed him photos of the situation, he packaged it pretty damn well with 3 layers of bubble wrap and secured in the box. He was just as devastated upon seeing that pic as I was opening it. We talked about the postage but he doesn't know if the post was insured as his girlfriend took it to the post office. He's yet to get back to me about that.

I don't hold him responsible, as the packaging was quite good. My best guess is that it wasn't handled with care in its trip up the coast (I probably should have asked for 500 fragile stickers to be placed on it) and has been dropped or harshly bumped at some stage in transit.

All I'm really worried about at this stage is cutting losses and getting what I can out of this guitar, and figuring out whether others have restored their guitars from such damage. Come Saturday I'll be in the local store getting it assessed and hopefully repaired.

It's not like you can't play it still... But it should just be a simple clamp and glue job and a refinish if you're picky about looking at the break. You're probably looking at around ... $100-200 for the repair though, refinish extra.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Easy fix really. Simple wood glue and clamp should do it. Do it right and you won't even see a line or anything.
It's a fairly clean break.

I think the guy used a hacksaw to piss you off secretly.

In all honesty, I'd try get my money back if it's gonna cost anywhere NEAR $100, you could do a better job yourself!

Get yourself to the GB&C forum area, we'd love to help!
(It is as simple as getting glue & clamping it though...)
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by rooster87

LOL sounds like it was broken to begin with.
I feel sorry for you I have received damaged guitars but luckily they were from big retailers that replaced them ASAP. It still a huge disappointment when you open the box and there is a huge chip missing in the guitar or the head stock is snapped off!

This is why when shipping a guitar you need to pack it very well especially when it's an odd shaped guitar with points. Postal workers and guys who work for Fed Ex and UPS are very rough with packages they throw the stuff around like it was nothing.

Was it insured? I don't know if your postal service offers insurance or if you opted for it but if it was you can get compensated. Did you use Pay Pal they might be able to do something contact them if you used them.

It's an easy repair but you'll probably see a slight hairline crack. I have repaired worse. The repair will not effect the guitar as far as sound and playability.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Oct 5, 2009,
Wood glue and clamps. I fixed the headstock on my loverock (which was hanging off by the strings) and it's a very strong bond. You have a nice clean break. That should be much easier.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Thanks for the replies people.

I don't mind the gluing together, and it doesn't have to be refinished as I might just cover it with a sticker or gaffer tape. As long as it plays I'll be happy. Put it down to life experience and move on.
refund man, it's the only way. You didn't pay for that ****.
I know you feel for the seller but it's not your fault.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Well at least you know it is not made of plywood. Did you insure it? Contact the vendor explain what arrived. Above all act like an adult and conduct your self in a business like manner .
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Unlucky brah

Sorry to be a bit of a threadjack, but what is the superstrat version of that guitar?
Why not raise hell to the shipping company. Something you paid a lot of money for was broken in their possession. Id be pissed and they should pay.

Quote by Lollage123
Sorry to be a bit of a threadjack, but what is the superstrat version of that guitar?

... What? Its an RR, there is no "superstrat version"
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Oct 5, 2009,
Honestly that break looks too clean to be an accidental bump :/
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Looks like someone cut it off. Even if you drop it on the wing it wont break like that.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
^ I was kinda thinking that too...thats a weird looking break for such a thick portion of the body
Quote by David Collins
It's a fresh clean break that happened in shipping, and really not much of a surprise given the geometry of the guitar, and the way boxes are launched on and off trucks. If you feel it was packed well for appropriate handling, then the shipping company was simply too rough with it and the seller is innocent. It should be covered under shipping insurance though, especially if there is any box damage (look for dented corners).

It's also a simple repair though, and when back together the only lasting impact will be aesthetic. If the shipper will pay for an insurance claim you can have it professionally done, if they won't budge, it's shouldn't be that difficult to glue up yourself.

But still payed $700 for a guitar that retails for $1000 new which (I assume) he got 2nd hand. After he pays for the repairs he might as will have payed almost the same as a brand new one but this one has a massive crack in it.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Ouch, that must hurt.

I'd phone the shipping company and raise Hell with them, try and get them to pay for at least part of the repairs.
Oh mate That's painful =s
Was it not insured postage? ask the seller if you don't know.
If not then drill in for a couple of pegs and apply wood glue.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
G'day mate, it's Marty from the Australian mail service. I just thought I'd tell ya that I cut your guitar when I was working the other day, I thought whoever had bought it would be a major tool. Sorry mate
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by The Arsis
Just to let you know that your punk ass just got reported.

Your the only punk if you report someone over a joke you didn't like.
Look at the box. If it's not damaged then it was broken when he shipped it.

Personally i think it looks better. Shouldn't really affect sound quality and it looks unique. Keep it.
Quote by Ikonoklast

Personally i think it looks better. Shouldn't really affect sound quality and it looks unique. Keep it.

Sorry mate, I paid for a Rhoads, not a hybrid with the back end of a Warlock.

For clarification, private sale 2nd hand (about a year old) on Ebay with PayPal. Pretty much just gonna do what David Collins has suggested. And then I guess I'm stuck with the guitar. Won't care much if it plays well post repair.

Thanks again for the discussion.
I would get a refund, whether its the seller or the shipping company, make someone pay out for that $hit...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
its not the end of the world, you can play it. Unless you buy a guitar just because it looks cool and can show off with it..
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Quote by CKYIbanezParker
its not the end of the world, you can play it. Unless you buy a guitar just because it looks cool and can show off with it..

No, I would be pissed since he bought a guitar that said it was in good condition. But it came with a good 2" off the body. Now he has to pay more money, but OP you should contact the shipping company.
yea, that looks way too clean of a cut to be caused from a shipping accident. maybe the guy broke it already, used past pics of the guitar for ebay, then sold it to get some money off of it instead of fixing it. people are a**holes enough to do this kind of thing.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by flanders_91
yea, that looks way too clean of a cut to be caused from a shipping accident. maybe the guy broke it already, used past pics of the guitar for ebay, then sold it to get some money off of it instead of fixing it. people are a**holes enough to do this kind of thing.

Yeah I did think this also
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Easily repairable... a guitar tech shouldn't charge more than $50 for this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i think it might be time to smack a ho
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
It's like they've deliberately hit the inside edge of the horn at an awkward angle to break it, even a drop wouldn't do that with alot of height and force...

Is the headstock chipped badly or painted over/touched in too?

Send the thing back man, it's a state.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Just talk to the shipping company,tell them what happened.They've probably got some policy you could follow up to see if you could get some money back from the shipping costs,to pay for the fix.
You took a risk buying second hand,and unfortunantly,this time you lost out.Better luck next time I guess?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Page 1 of 2