Hi there!

My name's Youri and I've been playing for 4,5 months by now and I can play Seek and Destroy and the Trooper(solo not included),Fear of The Dark intro,Crazy Train intro and some others.
My guitar is a cheap Gibson SG copy (Jack & Danny,€150).

The deal is that I eventually want to play heavy metal (think Metallica,Sodom,Testament,Artillery,Dio,Ozzy,Black Sabbath,Maiden,etc.)

From what I've heard from the Schecter guitars I'm really liking them so far,the thing is I doubt that I would be able to test out a Schecter in any store in Belgium (especially the Devil Custom).

So my question;is it worth the risk to order a Schecter knowing that my current model is a Gibson SG copy?

Eventually after making this clear I can think of an amplifier that will fit my needs with a Schecter or any other guitar if the whole Schecter idea gets blown off.
Buying an amp in the first place is a higher priority and will probably be bought around Xmass,the guitar itself around June.

-Thanks in advance!
make sure you spend at least as much for the amp as you do the new guitar.

if you think that your current guitar is ok, but not br00tal enough, then most likely it's your current amp that's the problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The thing is,I doubt that a €150 guitar will match against a €600 (around).
The price of the amp will be topped around €500 or something.

The thing is that I'm currently home practicing and after next year it might happen that I would go to a dorm for college,so that in mind it'll probably need to be a low wattage amp.
ok, but you seemed concerned that your SG copy is lacking, on tone. and i'd be doing you a disservice if i let you buy a nice guitar, like schecter, and let you play it through a starter practice amp.

you would love the playability but still hate the tone.

sounds like you're about even in the amp / guitar budget. that's a good thing.

and no one says it has to be a huge amp, just make sure you dont overlook that huge part of your rig.

with all that said, i've owned a couple of schecters and they were/ are both really nice for the money. some countries get ripped off on prices though.

a similar company would be washburn for example.

what guitars do you have access too?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well,Belgium is in Europe,just for the information so www.Thomann.de, Musicstore.de and the shops usually just have ESP,Gibson and Fenders for all I know but not a big offer of other guitars.

I understand what you mean,buying a new guitar and an amp while first of all changing the tone would be a huge improvement,I currently have a POD2.0 plugged as a pre-amp so my tone is atleast abit versatile
ESP Models in that price range are some great guitars;

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_jh200.htm
I'm not usually a fan of signature models, but this guitar had an amazing feel and sound from it, with the added bonus of a Kahler Vibrato Unit.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_h500_duncan_acsb.htm
Great combination of pickups in here, good tone options with the coil split with a fantastic flamed maple top.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
what amp do you have? the amp is much more important for your level than the guitar.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
AMP is key to everything, Better the amp better the tone regardless of guitar even more so if the Guitar has active PU's, I suggest saving for a tube AMP like the Bugera 333xl or better, being that most schecters come with actives, not all but most of the good ones do. Only high end solid state amps sound good with actives (the crate gx-130c head I have sounds good with actives and can be found used for $150us). I was where you were at one time and in hindsight early on I would have got a great tube amp instead of the Gibson explorer 18 years ago image is cool and all but if the sound dont fit the image well...... .

*edit*(noticed you will be in a dorm)

Tube amps are High Gain and loud, you dont need head's or cab's like I use, most great amps come in combo versions. I also use a hotplate so I can crank up my amp while keeping it quiet enough to not wake my kids, or disturb my neighbors at night which I recommend for dorm practice.
Last edited by DimeLvR at Oct 5, 2009,
I'm using a 15watt Crate amp value of about €40,basic of the basics :-P
I think the general vibe here is that you if you really want change then you need an amp.
A new guitar in your amp will sound exactly the same.
What's your budget?
If you only want to buy once then get a Bugera or Valveking but if you just want home practice then get a cube 15 or 30
Quote by Youri
The thing is,I doubt that a €150 guitar will match against a €600 (around).
The price of the amp will be topped around €500 or something.

The thing is that I'm currently home practicing and after next year it might happen that I would go to a dorm for college,so that in mind it'll probably need to be a low wattage amp.

Quote by DimeLvR
...I suggest saving for a tube AMP like the Bugera 333xl...

Bugera 333XL Features:
[B]Hand-built 120-Watt amplifier driven by 4 x EL34 valves (convertible to 6L6) [/B] 

People need to read threads.

TS, you could try going for a Harley Benton GA10 or something along those lines amp wise?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Bugera 333XL Features:
[B]Hand-built 120-Watt amplifier driven by 4 x EL34 valves (convertible to 6L6) [/B]

People need to read threads.

Quote by DimeLvR

*edit*(noticed you will be in a dorm)

Tube amps are High Gain and loud, you dont need head's or cab's like I use, most great amps come in combo versions. I also use a hotplate so I can crank up my amp while keeping it quiet enough to not wake my kids, or disturb my neighbors at night which I recommend for dorm practice.

I couldn't agree more!!
How would a HT5 Combo be for home/dorm practice?
I don't know much of pedals/boards yet so I'm trying to get the most out of everything as it comes,not buying too many accessory's etc.
Keeping in mind that I'm going for the metal aproach that is.
The HT-5 has a headphone out option but I find it quite irritating to have a wire going to my head while playing (already have an amplug metal for those long trips)
Quote by Youri
How would a HT5 Combo be for home/dorm practice?
I don't know much of pedals/boards yet so I'm trying to get the most out of everything as it comes,not buying too many accessory's etc.
Keeping in mind that I'm going for the metal aproach that is.
The HT-5 has a headphone out option but I find it quite irritating to have a wire going to my head while playing (already have an amplug metal for those long trips)

There are better amps on the market but its a good amp. loud little thing got me kicked out of GC.
Well,any suggestions of better low wattage ones then?

-thanks!
There I couldnt help you, I use a mesa triple rectifier with a mesa 4x 12 cab, and a Marshall jcm800 with a marshall 4x 12 cab, and my crate gx-130 on either my mesa cab or marshall cab. I use a hotplate so it allows me to crank up my amps (better sound) while keeping the overall volume down. Like I was saying before you can get a good tube amp and a hotplate or equivalent it will allow you to turn up your amp w/o disturbing the people around you.
Don't listen to Dime. He seems to thing he is metal extreme to the power of sick.

have a look at a cube 10 or 15. pretty small but you'll never use it at full volume.
If you ever start gigging then consider a tube but for now the cube will be great.
Quote by GaijinFoot
Don't listen to Dime. He seems to thing he is metal extreme to the power of sick.

have a look at a cube 10 or 15. pretty small but you'll never use it at full volume.
If you ever start gigging then consider a tube but for now the cube will be great.

No Im all about good tone. If he had the funds I would tell him to get a JCM800 2x12 combo. Instead what Im saying is find a cheap tube amp and if its too loud then get a hotplate or the equivalent. Most good quality schecter guitars are sold with active PU's and very few budget Solid state amps sound good with active PU's.

Mind explaining the Hotplate thing?

The THD Hot Plate Attenuator is a power attenuator and noise reducer that lets you attain the incredible sound of your amp running at high output and full distortion but at recording, small club, and neighbor-friendly volumes. It also makes a perfect dummy load.

A power attenuator is simply a device placed between the speaker output and the speaker cabinet. It acts like a huge master volume control and permits the amp to be turned up most or all the way while absorbing most of the power generated by the amplifier and turning this power into heat. It passes a small part of the power to the speaker.

Designed for use strictly with vacuum tube guitar amplifiers, each version of the Hot Plate is optimized for a specific impedance. These inductive loads are frequency-compensated, which means you get the best possible sound for that impedance speaker and amplifier combination. Plus the Hot Plate is no simple power attenuator. It offers many capabilities that make it a great addition to any tone-hungry player's arsenal.

Built-in Noise Reduction

The THD Hot Plate is the only attenuator on the market with built-in noise reduction to reduce the hiss and hum between notes. Its passive, single-ended noise-reduction system provides approximately 10dB of broadband noise reduction without gating or pumping and without affecting the tone of the amp. A by-product of the noise reduction circuit is that it generates light via a front-mounted bulb as you play. The harder you play, the brighter it glows.

Tone Controls

The Hot Plate is also the only attenuator offering a Bright switch and a Deep switch for tailoring your sound. The Bright switch gives you 2 different high-frequency levels so you can compensate for an overly bright or dull speaker cabinet. The Deep switch offers 2 distinct bass settings to help you fill out the bottom end or reduce the bass in a cabinet with too much low end.

Adjustable Line Out

THD Hot Plates also feature a Line Out, which is adjustable by its own volume control, giving it a wide range of applications. At higher settings, it can provide enough signal to drive the input of a separate power amp for slaving. The middle range of settings is useful for most rackmount effects. And turned most of the way down, the Hot Plate's Line Out will drive the instrument input of another guitar amplifier for extra power and volume.

Will it hurt my amp?

The THD Hot Plate will not damage your amplifier. When you play continuously at full output, you cause your tubes to age more quickly than they would at lower volumes. Using a Hot Plate will maintain the life of your tubes at exactly the same rate, no more or less, as when you play straight through the speaker.

Using a Hot Plate will also not hurt your transformer any more than playing through a speaker as long as the impedances are matched (i.e., 8-ohm setting on the amp, 8-ohm speakers, and an 8-ohm attenuator). The Hot Plate puts the same load on the transformer as a speaker (which is why it makes such a good dummy load).

THD Hot Plate Attenuator Features:

* High-fidelity power attenuator
* Designed for use with vacuum tube guitar amplifiers
* Great amplifier dummy load
* Optimized for specific impedances
* Frequency-compensated
* Built-in noise reduction (approx. 10dB)
* Bright switch and Deep switch
* Adjustable line out
but hotplates are how much? few hundred euro? did you see his requirements?
Besides guitars I buy most my gear used I have 2 hotplates and I have only $250US into them. My amp heads almost 2k into them, cabs together less than $900, None of the pieces has been bought new and not in one shot either they were collected over time like I had my mesa head a year before I found the cab. Had the marshall cab a few years before I got the jcm800 when I used it with the crate solid state.

Thing is here you have not been playing for a long time, Better tone will make you want to play and get better. A great guitar will help but that is only a small portion of the tone and I will tell this to anyone get a great amp first then a great guitar 2nd. Most Guitarists will end up owning many guitars through out their time, but only go through so many amps till they can get what they want, so its better to get the best amp for the lowest amount possible.

As for a solid state I suggest a Crate gx-130c 2x12 combo I have the head but as for a solidstate it sounds pretty good with active pickups, they dont make them anymore and you can find them used for around $150US. it also sound good at low volumes. Its the same amp cannibal corpse used through the bleeding it can get some great metal tones.
Any other advices next to the attenuating?
(guitar advice too)

-Thanks
for an amp, I'd recommend a small tube amp (like <5w)
stuff like fender champ, epiphone vj, bugera v5, etc.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/