I'm looking at a 5150 that a guy has for sale today. I've done a bit of research, both on the web and on UG. What Ive gathered lead me to believe that it is a quintsential metal amp, has gain for days, noise problems, one trick pony, doesnt do much outside of metal, and the cleans leave a lot to be desired. I play a lot of 90's rock type stuff. Wezzer, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins type sound/tones.

My questions are....

- If you own one would you recomend it?
- What do you love/hate about it?
- What are your tips/tricks/insider knowledge? (Things that I wouldnt know to look for when I check this amp out today?

- Guys selling a "Block Letter" 5150 for 400. Im pretty sure I'll buy it, unless somethings wrong with it. I was hoping that the UG faithfull would have some insight on this guy.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
well can you try it out before you buy it? if so, i think you should be able to tell if you'd like it or not. see if he'll let you try it out a bit before you buy it.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Thats where Im headed at lunch today. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I have one and wouldn't recommend it to you.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
^ any particular reasons?
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
It's just not really suited to the bands you listed. It's very raw sounding, undefined kind of gain and is just kinda too heavy for that style. I think you'd be better off looking at something like a JCM900
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
It's just not really suited to the bands you listed. It's very raw sounding, undefined kind of gain and is just kinda too heavy for that style. I think you'd be better off looking at something like a JCM900

I'll give it a go today and see whats what with the sound. I understand the rawness, and that doesnt seem to bother me all that much. Thanks for the heads up though. The more I look, the more I see "Heavey....man" in the descriptions about the 5150.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
For 400 dollar I would buy it, if you didn't like try to sell it for around 500-600 (depending on condition), really you have nothing to lose at that price.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
^Good point

Quote by jambi_mantra

+1

Don't buy an amp just because it is a good deal. Now if you are not afraid of flipping amps and confident you can make a profit then you're fairly safe. Additionally, there could be some hidden issues due to age / use so again, unless you are willing to get those things fixed and / or have some technical background yourself you could spend more to get fixed up later.

Good new is your getting ready to play it so let your ears make the decision.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 5, 2009,