hello musicians,
I'm thinking to change my Tesla Plasma III bridge pick up to a Seymour Duncan, but I dont know which one to buy. Should I buy Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader or SH-4 JB, because I mostly play rock music such as Paramore, Breaking Benjamin, Seether, and some PunkRock music. Please reply to this coz I need your opinions. Thanks guys
JB ftw. Covers any music from twangy blues, till all out metal.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
DON'T get the Invader, whatever you do. I let someone put one in my Ibanez and had to change it (for a Duncan Distortion) because it was SO nasty. Good luck!
Stuff:

Ibanez SZ720FM (Duncan Distortion and a 59)
Fender 60s (Mex) Strat - (SD vintage pups)
Blackstar HT5
EHX Metal Muff
Digitech Weapon
I dont know I'm still confused , cause on the website it says "if you want to play PunkRock then Invader is the best"
Quote by metalhead64
DON'T get the Invader, whatever you do. I let someone put one in my Ibanez and had to change it (for a Duncan Distortion) because it was SO nasty. Good luck!

Get a better technician.

I put an Invader in my Schecter recently and I'm loving it. Handles distortion like it should without making it lose the clarity of the notes. Suited for metal without a doubt. Not sure about the whole punkrock thing, but I'm sure it'll do it's job just fine.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Nothing wrong with the tech - he knows his stuff.
It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I found the Invader very ill-defined indeed and, having spent my money on it, I then looked on UG to find that I was not alone in thinking that it wasn't Seymour Duncan's finest hour. Could be that it just didn't sit well with my guitar and/or amp. Just trying to help the TS, that's all :-) Peace!
Stuff:

Ibanez SZ720FM (Duncan Distortion and a 59)
Fender 60s (Mex) Strat - (SD vintage pups)
Blackstar HT5
EHX Metal Muff
Digitech Weapon
do you know what causes buzzing sound everytime I turn distortion on my marshall dfx100 amp?
Quote by dhenia182
do you know what causes buzzing sound everytime I turn distortion on my marshall dfx100 amp?

Probably the amp itself. It's got very buzzy, fizzy distortion. If you're talking about hum, maybe you have single coil pickups in your current guitar?

Just so you know, a pickup change, or even a new guitar won't improve the sound nearly as much as a new amp. I recommend looking into a new amp before pickups. If you can tolerate your current guitar in terms of playability, then get a new amp FIRST. Then think about a guitar.

When you do end up buying a new guitar, don't immediately swap the pickups either. They may be just fine, and you can spend the extra money on better things.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I need more opinion about what to get , invader or JB? because I'm about to spend big money so i dont wanna regret it. thanks guys!
the JB

I have one and love it. It's basically the best all-around pickup for the price.
Quote by dhenia182
I need more opinion about what to get , invader or JB? because I'm about to spend big money so i dont wanna regret it. thanks guys!

Maybe you didn't read what I posted. With your amp, you will hear little to no difference from a pickup swap. Get a better amp, then think about fine tuning your guitar with pickups.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Maybe you didn't read what I posted. With your amp, you will hear little to no difference from a pickup swap. Get a better amp, then think about fine tuning your guitar with pickups.
I'm sorry but this is simply untrue. You can hear a clear difference between pickups. Does your sound still suffer from the same flaws that stem from your amp (which is a huge part of your tone)? Undoubtedly, but to say that there is little to no difference between pickups is asinine. Even when I went from two very similar pickups in my guitar (WCR PAF replicas to Wolfetone PAF replicas); there is a very clear difference in both tone and response, even on my cheap solid state Marshall.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I'm sorry but this is simply untrue. You can hear a clear difference between pickups. Does your sound still suffer from the same flaws that stem from your amp (which is a huge part of your tone)? Undoubtedly, but to say that there is little to no difference between pickups is asinine. Even when I went from two very similar pickups in my guitar (WCR PAF replicas to Wolfetone PAF replicas); there is a very clear difference in both tone and response, even on my cheap solid state Marshall.

+1

IMO, the JB is the way to go between the two pickups. The invader might handle distortion well but the same can't be said for cleans. The JB is far more versatile and will be better all round.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by al112987

+1

You hear a difference when swapping pups even on a cheap amp. However the difference would be more prominent on a better amp.

Listen to al, you can hear a difference in tone, but what do you want to do to your tone to being with.

Answer these two questions:
1. What do you want to change about your overall tone first (not just your pickup characteristics).
2. What wood is your guitar made of.

That said, I also think its better to change your amp. Your amp will have more impact on your overall tone than the pickup would.

If you want to add definition to your sound, don't look at the Invader. The SH-8 is a bad pickup if you want definition and clarity. Altho it does work pretty well for some tonewoods, overall its a pickup that does not do much for your tone's clarity and note definition, but it does have its uses.

Quote by SimplyBen
IMO, the JB is the way to go between the two pickups. The invader might handle distortion well but the same can't be said for cleans. The JB is far more versatile and will be better all round.

+1 ... but then it'd still depend on his tonewood... if he's got an extremely bright guitar, the Invader might be better... but generally the JB is the better pickup all round.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by al112987

Wow, I worded what I said very poorly. Obviously, different pickups will sound differently through any amplifier. What I meant to say was he won't really discern much more quality from his tone by upgrading the pickups on his guitar, just a different voicing. At the same time, however, it is still true that a pickup change in his current situation is impractical and is not the best route to getting a better tone at this moment.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Wow, I worded what I said very poorly. Obviously, different pickups will sound differently through any amplifier. What I meant to say was he won't really discern much more quality from his tone by upgrading the pickups on his guitar, just a different voicing. At the same time, however, it is still true that a pickup change in his current situation is impractical and is not the best route to getting a better tone at this moment.

+1, spending money on pickups should be for fine tuning your sound, not trying to comepletely change it like most people think.

If you change your pickups, sure it might be a little better but you will still sound like your playing through your marshall.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Thanks for all opinios guys.. Someone offered me one set of a 2nd sh-2 neck and JB with half price. Do u think it"s a bit risky to buy used pick ups?
Quote by dhenia182
Thanks for all opinios guys.. Someone offered me one set of a 2nd sh-2 neck and JB with half price. Do u think it"s a bit risky to buy used pick ups?

check to see that the pickups are solidly put together and that the cloth covering the copper winding wires are still on. To an extent it ensures that the previous user has not taken it apart and messed with it.

Also check that the conductor wires are still sufficiently long enough.

Also, make sure you know where the guy stays.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
New amp will get you a better tone than anything you do to your guitar right now.

Simple as that.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
1) A better amp is without doubt the way to go. I made that mistake, which is why I'm mentioning it. I used to use a solid state amp and upgraded my pickups, which improved the sound for sure but inevitably I eventually upgraded to a valve amp and the pickups sounded completely different. What you've been told is perfectly true; new pickups will fine tune and improve your existing tone but you need to get the fundamentals in place first such as a good guitar and good amp.

2) I looked at Seymour Duncan pups and spoke to the company direct about their products and advice. An Invader was one of the ones I looked at but I wanted a very articulate sound and Seymour Duncan themselves told me the Invader was prone to be muddy. The JB is an excellent pickup, as is the Distortion pup for the bridge, though I believe the JB isn't as good as it was originally due to a design change (just what I'd heard). For me, I eventually went with Bare Knuckle pups, which are alot more expensive but you get what you pay for and I wouldn't use anything else now.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Guys, I just bought Seymour Duncan SH-1 for neck and SH-14 for bridge. I havent installed it in my guitar though, but I hope it will rock!

about the amp.. the reason i'm not changing the amp is because I dont only play in my studio, but I also play at my friend's and on stage which is why i think its useless to buy a new amp and better to change the pick up itself. but thanks for the opinion i appreaciate it.

I will tell you about the sound of my new pick ups later when the technician finish installing it.
Quote by dhenia182

Neither, don't waste your money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com