Hello everyone,

I'm having problems finding a good(even a decent would be nice) hi-gain tone with my equipment.
There is tone I can get which I love, a nice subtle crunch, it's almost perfect when I'm playing blues/funky stuff.

Basically what'd like is a tight, fluid hi-gain sound where individual notes don't get overwhelmed. My current hi-gain is too harsh, sometimes fizzy, and feels like something is missing. And I get a lot of excess noise(that might be my playing though)
(I can't really name what band sounds like what I have in my head, but Killswitch Engage and Metallica's Death Magnetic is pretty close)

Could a distortion pedal help? In that case I'm open to recommendations.

Also I'm saving up for a better amplifier, but unfortunately, I can't really just go and try out a bunch, music stores are far away from me, and even then they don't stock the amps I'd like to try.
I'm open to amp recommendations as well, since if I have my goal set, saving up is easier
(Even then I couldn't save up more than 800-900usd, since even that'd take more than a year )

Thanks in advance.
PS: Sorry if I've asked stupid questions.
Ibanez RGR321EX
Marshall Valvestate 8080
Last edited by Altefnegy at Oct 5, 2009,
Quote by jfreyvogel
Some combination of these pedals I think will give you just what you're looking for.

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Effects Pedal
Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer Pedal

I've not heard good things about the metal zone, but I might be misinformed as well.
However the blues driver seems interesting, but I already have a nice blues tone.

Thank you anyways.
Ibanez RGR321EX
Marshall Valvestate 8080
Get a valve amp. If you really don't like fizz, don't get a Peavey 5150, although they can produce some amazing tones.

A Diezel would suit you, but you can't afford one.

Before you start looking at new amps, try turning the gain down. Use as little gain as possible in order to achieve the desired sound, it will sound less fizzy.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Save up for a Vypyr 60 ($450) or the new 6505+ 112 ($550) or look for a used XXX, Ultra, XXL, or Ampeg VH140C.

Otherwise an OD pedal might work for now like a Bad Monkey.

That Peavey combo seems really nice, and I could get it for 500eur, which is kinda close to what I wanted to spend. Could it provide a nice bluesy crunch as well?(I only found metal demos/sound clips) But I suppose that could be fixed with a pedal anyway.

As for OD/Dist pedals, I was looking at the EHX metal muff, but I'll check out the Bad Monkey too, thanks for the help.
Ibanez RGR321EX
Marshall Valvestate 8080
You won't get too much of a blues crunch out of the 6505. Maybe with the gain rolled back and some other tweaking but I don't think adding a pedal to it will help either.

The Vypyr 60 - yes. Not only does it have a convincing 6505 setting it also has a XXX, JSX, Diezel, Krank, Tweed, Brit rock, Bad Cat and some other amp models. Not a bad amp.
Quote by Altefnegy
That Peavey combo seems really nice, and I could get it for 500eur, which is kinda close to what I wanted to spend. Could it provide a nice bluesy crunch as well?(I only found metal demos/sound clips) But I suppose that could be fixed with a pedal anyway.

As for OD/Dist pedals, I was looking at the EHX metal muff, but I'll check out the Bad Monkey too, thanks for the help.

I think you can get a good blues sound out of the 6505+ on the clean/crunch channel. Just roll your pre gain down a bit and play with a heavy hand. One of my friends has a 6505+ stack that he gigs with, and it does damn near everything. True, is more a "One Trick Pony" amp than many others, but with time you can make it do what you want.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Oh that's nice. I like spending time with knobs in order to get a nice sound(but damn I just can't get a distorted sound I like from my current amp).

And I don't really know how I'd like the vypyr 60, all those digital stuff seems overwhelming and more quality<quantity based, but if I get the chance I'll give it a try.

I tried to use youtube for demos and such but the sound quality is terrible.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I appreciate it.
Ibanez RGR321EX
Marshall Valvestate 8080
Last edited by Altefnegy at Oct 6, 2009,
The 6505+ 112 combo is brand new and has not even hit the streets yet. I expect we'll hear more about it in the coming weeks. We are also unsure of its quality as it is made in China, along with the Vypyrs and Valvekings. Also, I'm sure there is a significant lead time.

Play the Vypyr 60 if you get a chance. Full on power tube section really helps imo. The standard ss versions (30, 75, 100 etc) pale incomparison. IMO.

good luck

There are other amps to consider too, but you would probably have to look used. I'm not sure what is available to you in Hungary.
Thank you again and again

So then it seems like I'll be eagerly awaiting the release of the 6505+ combo.
And I have to arrange a trip to try out a load of other stuff.
Well yeah used deals are hard to come by here, sometimes you can find nice tube amps(I've seen a JCM800 and even some mesas) but there's a flood of ss practice amps that everyone wants get get rid of.

Guess I shouldn't blow my money on a distortion pedal then.
Ibanez RGR321EX
Marshall Valvestate 8080
Last edited by Altefnegy at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
or Ampeg VH140C.
Honestly, I don't think that would work for him at all. My Ampeg sounds nothing like Killswitch or very new Metallica (it can do a Puppets tone though)
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
You could always grab a Bad Monkey. Always useful and could help get more gain out of the preamp of the Valvestate....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals