Well I got to try out a couple mesa amps, as well as some others while my wife was shopping. First the Nomad 55; I had already tried the 100 watt version a while back, and just could not resist giving this used 55 watt combo a go. Channel one is clean, typical mesa here, pushed or clean it sounded great, responded very well to pick dynamics as well as guitar volume and tone knobs. Overall nice channel, should suit anyone, as long as they are not expecting a Fender. Channel two is very articulate and can get some great low gain-mid gain tones, I found many tones on the channel that just rocked, any thing from slight breakup to 80's hair metal is all in this channel. What impressed me the most about this channel is it's dynamics with a Mid gain tone, the amp really responded like I was pushing the power tubes, pick light with the volume rolled to half and the amp was pretty clean, dig in and it gets super gritty, turn the volume up and dig in it sings for days. Very nice channel. Channel Three overlaps channel two, and takes it to the next level, I really only messed with getting a high gain tone since really channel two filled the bill nicely for mid gain, but did get some really nice mid gain tones out this channel, but I focused on getting a real heavy tone. Switching the voicing to modern and turning the gain up to about 6-7 I found a good metal tone, the eq really responded well and would allow a lot of tone shaping. The midrange detail was great, reminded me a lot of a Mark IV in that, but with the bottom end of a recto. That’s really what turned me off from this amp; it was awesome until I messed with the high gain tones. Now giving the amp the benefit of the doubt it was an open back combo and I only spent 30 minutes with it without really cranking it, with a nice closed cab it might tighten up a bit as well as turning up the power amp. Overall I really did like the amp, honestly equally as well as my Triple X, I like the low-end voicing better on the TX, but the versatility and mid gained tones butt rape the TX, really made the TX look like a one trick pony, even though it's far from it.

The Mark V was awesome I was very intimidated with all the switches and knobs, and really never even got to the rear panel, other than to mess with reverb and channel switching. Channel one typical Mesa, but really improved gritty tone, had all the qualities of the Nomad, it just seemed do it a little better. Channel two was classic Mesa lots of grit, and plenty of saturation and versatility, most people would love an amp with just this channel, I cannot compare to a Mark I or II because I have never demoed them, but I thought the channel sounded great and work well for any style other than some metal heads, but I though it had plenty of gain with the right settings even on this channel. Channel three I really only focused on a high gain tone, the amp really sounded great, it took me 15 minutes of tweaking to get a tone that was in the ball park, but after turning the treble all the way down and shaping the bass and mid voice I really liked the results, I ending up turning the treble up to about 1.5 with the mids at 5 and the bass at 7 and thought it sounded killer, lots of detail, Mesa roar, with tight low-end. Really odd EQ setting but it works. I wish I could have spent more time with it but in 45 min, I was happy with the tones I got out of it, there are many more settings that would probably work, but time was not on my side. I never had messed with any other Marks, only heard them in demos and in live setting, it was nice to get my hand on one and mess with it, personally loved it. I really would like to try a Mark IV since most people are saying V<IV, regardless I thought it was a great amp and I would love to have one.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Oct 5, 2009,
Epic post dude, but paragraph it a bit, It's a HUGE wall of text!
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
it always seemed to me like the nomad was like a mark IV in disguise

very nice.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^The Nomad was great, it was much simplier to EQ than the Mark, the tones I was looking for where reall easy to find, were as the Mark, I was searching with some whacky EQ to make it work. For the money the Nomads are awesome and are killer deals, if I could tighten up the low-end it would be the amp for me, I really liked it.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Very nice reviews.

So would you say all the channels are usable on the Mark V? I know channel 2 on the Mark IV was just absolute utter crap.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
^ you bite your tongue

it's my favorite channel.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by boxcarmonument
Very nice reviews.

So would you say all the channels are usable on the Mark V? I know channel 2 on the Mark IV was just absolute utter crap.

Yeah man channel two was great, It not as brutal as channel 3, but why would anyone want two brutal channels, thats what I hate about the Triple X. Honestly thats not what this amp is about, for low-high gain I thought channel two kicked ass. I didn't have a ton of time to mess with it but in ten minutes I found low, mid and high gain tone that all sounded killer. It may not have enough sateration for all but I thought it had plenty of gain.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by UnsignedRecords
^ you bite your tongue

Sorry. I just never found any usable tone's out of it but YMMV Right.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
^ I had played a Nomad 100 about 2 years ago, and I remembered that I liked it, but I could not remember all the in and outs, they are stealler little amps, IMO much better than the rectos.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by boxcarmonument
Very nice reviews.

Agreed, R2 had no balls at all.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
^ you bite your tongue

What are your settings like? I couldn't for the life of me get that channel to sound good at all.

IMO, the Mark V sounded a hell of a lot better than the Mark IV. The cleans were much improved and R2 sounded amazing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

IMO, the Mark V sounded a hell of a lot better than the Mark IV. The cleans were much improved and R2 sounded amazing.

That was my thinking, but I have not sit down with the Mark IV, so have little room to compare, but thought the cleans and Channel two where really good.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by MatrixClaw

Agreed. I loved the Mark V. The Mark IV was cool but didn't hold a candle to the V IMO. V was much more versatile too.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by boxcarmonument
Very nice reviews.

V rh2 channel has more od capabilities and it isnt tied to a shared eq, but the rh2 on the IV by no means is unusable. its the channel i experiment on the most.

Quote by mmoltrex
V was much more versatile too.

Meh i still much prefer my IV. The ability to use 6v6's,kt77's and el34's for two tubes opened up alot of sonic capabilities beyond normal tweaking,making it IMO more versitile. Unfortunately the V missed the "mark" here, and sounds great just not markish. The lone star clean on the mark V are the biggest draw to the MKV imo. Rh2 is toss up depending on how you EQ. The V has a wider range. The IV with different tubes opened up so many sounds for rh2 though. it was the most affected channel.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred

Meh i still much prefer my IV. The ability to use 6v6's,kt77's and el34's for two tubes opened up alot of sonic capabilities beyond normal tweaking,making it IMO more versitile. Unfortunately the V missed the "mark" here, and sounds great just not markish. The lone star clean on the mark V are the biggest draw to the MKV imo. Rh2 is toss up depending on how you EQ. The V has a wider range. The IV with different tubes opened up so many sounds for rh2 though. it was the most affected channel.

Eh, I've played a few with 6L6s and one with EL34s. I haven't tried anything else but yes, if you include that feature, it makes it way more versatile than it would be with out it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The gas I have for a Mark V right now is through the roof.

Nice reviews btw, I've played the Nomad myself and was not a fan.
i just played a mark v this weekend as well. i thought it had really epic mids, and i enjoyed the eq on it (ch3)
the cleans were really easy to dial in to sound nice imo
i dodnt mess with ch2
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by MatrixClaw
What are your settings like? I couldn't for the life of me get that channel to sound good at all.

right now it's set up for my tele, so it's radically different from the sg.

gain: 6 pushed
bass: 0-2
mid: 4.5
treble: 8
presence: 4 pushed
channel vol: 1.5
master: 1.5
full power, class a, triode

gets me a full twangy smooth mid gain tone. if i pull the gain, the twangyness goes away and it fattens up a lot.

i recorded those settings yesterday but the playing is awful

i dunno, what kinda tones were you trying to get through it?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by thrasher.
The gas I have for a Mark V right now is through the roof.

Nice reviews btw, I've played the Nomad myself and was not a fan.

I thought the Nomad had a lot in common with the Mark V. Low-end was not as tight but the overall voicing was similar, the lower gain tones on the Nomad were some of the best I have heard from Mesa.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
I've always considered the Nomad as a potential amp, I know there's a 100 that's been sitting in Guitar Center for months now, I now kind of wish I had played it. Nice review man.
^I really thought my Triple X > Nomad, but now for me I think the Nomad is the beter amp, and it would suit me better, I love high gain tones, but with the music I play the Nomad's versatilty and epic mid gain tones are really are up my ally. Don't get me wrong the Nomad has plenty of gain, but the lowend is more loose than I would prefer, athough as I stated before, I might be able to help it some, but most likly its going to be looser sounding high gain amp no matter what, which isn't really a bad thing, it just not what I prefer. Similar situation with the TX, it can do a good metal tone on both channels, but it strugles with mid/low-gained tones, it also lacks the midrange detail of the Nomad, and no matter what, my settings always sounds like a Triple X, which again is not a bad thing, its just not what I going for. The Mark V on the other hand, is the best of both, and if I had no budget restrictions would be the amp I would get.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
^A Nomad right?, or a Mark V, I would drive to OH to get a Mark V for $775. Thats seems to be pretty close to the going rate for the Nomads, the 55 combo I tested was $750, I have seen them on ebay as low as 600, but the used amp market is pretty tough right now, good values are getting tougher to find. Still for 775 it's an awesome amp, seems like most "budget" three channels have a flaw in on of the channels, but I could not find anything I could not work around in this Mesa, they are for sure a hidden gem in the amp world.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Yep v in here:

Keeping in mind the seller usually asks for more then they know they can get so that could easily be talked down. Good price on that Rectoverb too.

Mesa Boogie Maverick combo $850
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/1408545932.html

Hughes & Kettner tube head and 4x12 Ampeg cab $600 (ask which head)
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/1407939282.html

Marshall DSL401 combo $500
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/1402214846.html

Peavey XXX head $600 (needs cab)
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/1399726856.html

Mesa Boogie Nomad combo $775
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/1399615438.html

Laney GH50L head $700 (needs cab)
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/1397117822.html

Mesa Boogie Rectoverb $780
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/1395796433.html
^ You always jump at the chance to post some CL finds don't you. I don't live in OH, I would only drive there if a Mark V was $775, not a Nomad, or a Recto, both are always available in the used Springfield MO Market, which is only 30 min away at 80 MPH. Rectos arre not my thing at all,
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
ha rectos arent my thing either
damn i want a mark now
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR