I contacted my local amp guru to see about putting an effects loop (and tube rectofier) on my BH15-112 Blackheart Handsome Devil.

Here is what he had to say:

What type of loop do you want?

A series loop that just breaks the feed from the tone stack to the inverter stage which is the least invasive and least noise adding type

A tube buffer which adds another 12ax7 tube for signal out and signal in, but it will also add a gain stage which now adds the potential of noise and microphones

What are you guys thinking? Adding a tube always sounds like a fun thing, and adding a gain stage may be usefull, but I figured I would ask the gods of guitar.

Thanks!
Go series IMO. They take digital pedals much better. And by tube buffer I assume he means a parallel style loop?
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I'd go for series. Also, why do you want to add a tube rectifier?

Not a clue. More tubes is more better? lol

Honestly. Please feel free to impart some wisdom.
Quote by PimpSmurf

It won't make all that much of a difference at low volumes. You might notice the bass being a bit looser. When cranked, you'll get looser and you'll start to get some sag. Stick with the SS rectifier if you want a tight tone, get the tube rectifier if you want more of a vintage type tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Being as that's a Class A amp I don't see a tube rectifier adding any kind of dynamics to the amp. The amp idles at full power.

Edit: Sorry this is wrong I was thinking of the BH-5.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 5, 2009,
Thanks for the input guys!

After I decide on tubes, I'm going to order those (matched sets), order the bitmo kit, and get the amp rebiased for the new tubes, bitmo kit installed, and the custom series loop done.

Sound right? Deciding on tubes is such a chore though. AT/AU/AX, bleh.
Quote by PimpSmurf

Don't get a tube rectifier. You're blowing your money on something you don't even ever need. Keep your SS rectifier.
Just adding to the conversation: Mr Awsome ass tube amp guru sent me this:

I looked at the schematic and where I would insert the loop would be between R9 and VR2 which is just before the phase inverter...so all you need are two shorting 1/4 input jacks and use shielded wire to and from the jacks...so when you plug into the send it disconnects the system...you can use only a single if you want but I like to use both of them as shorting that way there is no possible chance of backfeed ever since both sides are disconnected and then
routed through your effects processor...

In case anyone wants to do this themselves.
Quote by PimpSmurf
I looked at the schematic and where I would insert the loop would be between R9 and VR2 which is just before the phase inverter...
A class a amp with a phase inverter?

Edit: Oh crap, ignore everything I've said. You are talking about the Handsome Devil. I thought the question was about the BH-5
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 5, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Personally, I don't see the point of any of this.

modulation and time-based modulation effects will sound fine in front of the amp.

I plan to run quite a few things through the front, and want the ability to run effects after the preamp. That is the only point I can think of for anyone to ever want to do this mod. *Shrug*

Maybe useless, but I don't think so. Too much in front = muddy right?
Quote by PimpSmurf
Too much in front = muddy right?

Not really, not necessarily. Muddiness can be caused by something as simple as too much cables with high capacitance, or too many pedals with poor bypass.

The thing a lot of people don't realize is that effects loops didn't always exist. Many of your favorite guitarists did not have one.
I am one of those unfortunate guitarists who doesn't have a favorite guitarist. Haha

I want to be able to add effects that does not get tubified in the preamp. A note that is run through a delay and then distorted in the preamp will sound different than a note that is distorted and then ran through a delay. I am not saying one sounds better, but I figured it would give me more options to play with. I may end up not even using it, but it is a VERY cheap modification, so why not?

I play with a rp350 right now setup with a clean tube amp model into a peavy blazer 158 amp on the clean channel. Still waiting on the damned blackheart to get here.

I expect I will end up with a danelectro transparent OD and boss EQ ahead of the preamp and a chorus reverb and octaver behind the preamp.