Page 1 of 2
Alright, so my friend plays in a Christian Death Metal Band (weird huh?) And they were playing some big battle of the bands thing in Lawrence this weekend and he asked me if I wanted to come, I figured Id get to hear some cool music and itd be cool to support my friends band, right? WRONG! Heres what my friend has:
LTF F-50

and this... thing.

The drummers younger cousin (whos like 13 or 14) plays this...

through this modeling amp

They dont have a bassist, they played the entire show in drop A flat, and I was about ready to cry after thir 15 minute set, guess what? They won! Cuz it was (unfortunately for me) a Death Metal battle of the bands where the other 7 bands had just about the same thing. After the show I went backstage and was talking to them, and my friend brings up the fact that I play, the other guitarist, (we'll call him little Mike) is like
"Oh really man, what kinda music do ya play"
And Im like "I play Vintage Heavy Metal" and his whole face just went like "WTF?" So I explained I only played Heavy metal from the 70's and 80's.
He then says, "oh, but isnt that kinda old, what guitar do you have, like a Les Paul?"
And I say "No a Jackson Randy Rhoads,"
He then asks his cousin (the drummer) if my guitar is as good as his and he says Yes. So I kinda ignored that and congratulated my friend and was off. After leaving that I got into my car and turned on "Heartbreaker" by Led Zeppelin and just repeated every soft song I could find on my ipod (read: not many) for the hour drive back to Kansas City. Anyone else wanted to die after a concert?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I just saw Dethklok the other day and Dethklok was great but the people who opened for them made me want to kill myself. It was High on Fire, some band even worse than High on Fire, and then Mastadon who were terrible. I was so happy when Dethklok got on because I had to listen to three hours of crap before I got to see them.
Ugh tell me about it... I get that feeling way too often when I go watch or play in some BotB.
There are usually a few gems there that are enjoyable, but way too often 90% the bands make me want to rip my ears off >_>
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
I saw a show at the Worcester Palladium (sketchiest city ever by the way), the Lineup was Acaro, 36 Crazy Fists, Gojira, and In Flames.

Acaro was so painful to listen to that we left and went to a bar (they were a last minute sub in for All That Remains who bailed on the show). We came back like an hour later halfway into 36 Crazy Fists and left again for food. Gojira was pretty good except their mix was really bad. In Flames flipped the switch to awesome.
Quote by BMP
I just saw Dethklok the other day and Dethklok was great but the people who opened for them made me want to kill myself. It was High on Fire, some band even worse than High on Fire, and then Mastadon who were terrible. I was so happy when Dethklok got on because I had to listen to three hours of crap before I got to see them.

Converge > Dethklok.

But it's cool to go to shows for the joke band.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Were they called the Bible Bashers? LOL
Guitars:
Fame Forum 3
Aria STG-004
Ashton Acoustic

Amps:
Bugera V22
Drive CD-10

Effects:
Boss ME-50

Quote by Kanthras
2/10

No fire extinguisher reference, unoriginal, no Militia flamebait, disappointing.

Bugera Users Militia
Last.fm
Quote by BMP

I hate you
Quote by BMP
and then Mastadon who were terrible.

Mastadon was terrible? I think that's a lie
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
lets see...

I saw aerosmith and kiss. Kiss was great (I'm not a kiss fan at all) and aersomith only played a 30 minute set no encore or anything (they didn't play walk this way, sweet emotion or dream on).

Recently went to the Creed reunion. Hoobastank opened for them and were completely awesome. But Creed was complete ****. Sounded like a big pile of mud and guys that really weren't trying to hard.

Three doors down sounded like a bad cover band
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
You poor soul.
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Quote by BMP
and then Mastadon who were terrible

Quote by BMP

Quote by BMP

*loads shotgun*

Battle of the Bands contests usually aren't the best shows in the world, especially if it's mostly Metal bands playing, because eventually they all start to sound the same.

Christian Death Metal kind of threw me though.
To the other posts: of course Three Doors Down will sound like a crappy cover band. And yeah, I guess if you mean listening to crappy music will make you buy crappy gear, I have experience in that, but eventually if you keep going in music, you eventually learn your ****ty gear is ****ty.
the funny thing is... your jackson probably sounds more brutal then their kiddy guitars ,

I mean, what gojira pulls of playing in d standard on their jacksons usually sound heavier then their rediculously low tuned guitars (with shapes u'd expect on a guitar brand aimed for 12 year olds).

I'm quite a fan of death metal, but tbh most bands are ****... I can't stand listening to canibal corpse but turn on some aborted or yyrkoon and i'll go nuts.

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
I don't see the problem with the vypyr, it is a good budget amp for people who don't have tons of cash.
Quote by STABxYOU
Converge > Dethklok.

But it's cool to go to shows for the joke band.

Dane Cook<You<Converge<Dethklok
Facepalm to them for not playing music or knowing anything about it.

*me hits the "meh* button and wonders why I replied*
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Oct 5, 2009,
I saw regurgitator for free not knowing how awful they were, left half way into gig though thankfully

also a lot of support bands
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
Quote by JDizzle787
To the other posts: of course Three Doors Down will sound like a crappy cover band. And yeah, I guess if you mean listening to crappy music will make you buy crappy gear, I have experience in that, but eventually if you keep going in music, you eventually learn your ****ty gear is ****ty.

+1 for aborted
if i am listening to some crappy country or something it makes me wanna give up music and never here it again is this what u mean???
Bryce
Quote by xoguitarist95ox
if i am listening to some crappy country or something it makes me wanna give up music and never here it again is this what u mean???

Somewhat, the striking thing for me was that this is where metal has come to, as I said before, I dont play any modern metal at all, other than the occasional Rammstein, TDG, or Papa Roach. So to see Metal made to look so gay is kinda hard.

Also Combichrist is opening for Rammstein for their new tear and they're pretty ... but I wanna hear Rammstein, so inevitably I will have to listen to Combichrist.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

nothing is wrong with those parts of gear, some people just dont have money floating all around and maybe they were a gift man, don't be a dick about it, id actually love both those guitars, and id take the peavy. They are metal, OF COURSE THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE METAL GUITARS!. seriously man, don't be a dick about it, you went there KNOWING it was going to be death metal, so don't "Feel like you want to die" when you have to listen to death metal.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
nothing is wrong with those parts of gear, some people just dont have money floating all around and maybe they were a gift man, don't be a dick about it, id actually love both those guitars, and id take the peavy. They are metal, OF COURSE THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE METAL GUITARS!. seriously man, don't be a dick about it, you went there KNOWING it was going to be death metal, so don't "Feel like you want to die" when you have to listen to death metal.

As you can see by my sig, I am by no means a gear elitist. Excluding the Jackson, every single piece of gear in that sig is a general **** monster. (They're not the only ones strapped for cash) Im not saying they're dirt beneath my toes because they have a $200 guitar, Im saying my ears were bleeding because they played Death Metal on that $200 guitar through an MG and won.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by VanTheKraut
because they played Death Metal on that $200 guitar through an MG and won.

Not hard to understand the OP's point if you read closely.... Maybe his friends' band wasn't the problem. You'll understand if you have any reading capability
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
... So were they any good? Were they better than the other bands? I don't see a mention of this anywhere. They made some pretty stupid comments if that's what they said, but I don't see anything about how they were. Do you have to meet certain standards of gear to play a Battle of the Bands? I guess the entire punk genre doesn't exist and poor people are outlawed from playing music?
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
they're only kinds man. You seem to think you're in some elitist circle because you come here yet you said Papa Roach are metal?
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
... So were they any good? Were they better than the other bands? I don't see a mention of this anywhere. They made some pretty stupid comments if that's what they said, but I don't see anything about how they were. Do you have to meet certain standards of gear to play a Battle of the Bands? I guess the entire punk genre doesn't exist and poor people are outlawed from playing music?

Dude. Playing punk and not being incredibly polished is one thing. Having **** gear is another.
Quote by cmalmo4
Dude. Playing punk and not being incredibly polished is one thing. Having **** gear is another.
Playing turds is part of punk philosophy.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
I've never wanted to die after a concert.... but I have wanted steven tyler dead after the aerosmith/Motley Crue Concert in edmonton a few years back. First off he they did a really short set, and steven tyler was spat on some of the crowd... not me but still who knows what he has and that is the last thing i would want... steven tylers spit...

Vince Neil also forgot a lot of the words to some Crue songs... other than that they were good.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by cmalmo4

The Vypyr is the only thing up there that isn't complete and total ****.
It's actually a pretty damned good amp for the price, IMO (Seriously, $300 for a 75 is a great deal-more than worth it).

And no, but I did see The Sword live. Awesome band, craptastic mix.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Oct 5, 2009,
Quote by Ethanb08
steven tyler spat on some of the crowd
Have you seen Steven Tyler's mouth? He can't help it.
Quote by JLT73

Recently went to the Creed reunion. Hoobastank opened for them and were completely awesome. But Creed was complete ****. Sounded like a big pile of mud and guys that really weren't trying to hard.

wow i saw creed last weekend and they were great. scott stapp really suprised me. i think they are doing all of their stuff 1/2 step down instead of DADBGE. i like that they have that touring guitarist with them so there's a guitar behind tremonti when he's soloing.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

A couple months ago I provided the sound system for a grindcore show with Repulsion, Pig Destroyer and Brutal Truth. It was the worst thing I have ever heard. The "music" was so bad and repetitive I couldn't tell the songs apart. Worse, I couldn't tell the bands apart. I was dozing off because I had been awake for over 24 hours, I fell asleep during one band, woke up for another band and I thought it was the same band playing the same song, but it was a whole different band, all of it was the same and all very bad.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
A couple months ago I provided the sound system for a grindcore show with Repulsion, Pig Destroyer and Brutal Truth. It was the worst thing I have ever heard. The "music" was so bad and repetitive I couldn't tell the songs apart. Worse, I couldn't tell the bands apart. I was dozing off because I had been awake for over 24 hours, I fell asleep during one band, woke up for another band and I thought it was the same band playing the same song, but it was a whole different band, all of it was the same and all very bad.

I'd kill to see Brutal Truth and Pig Destroyer.

Did you get to meet Scott Hull?

Quote by Brian Bucket
Dane Cook<You<Converge<Dethklok

Anyone is greater then Dane Cook.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Oct 6, 2009,
so how can you be a christian death metal band? thats a HUGE oximoron, cuz death metal, death, destruction, satan etc.
christianity: god, jesus, bible, creationism, anti-satan, etc.
Don't steal.
The government hates competition.
Page 1 of 2