Hey guys,

I'm in a punk band called "No Pants No Problem"
We've been practicing our asses off for the past few months and we're just about ready to play shows (we're finishing up the last song in our set tonight)

But today I was talking to the guitarist/vocalist at school and he mentioned a 'show' that I knew nothing about. Apparently, he's inviting the entire school band to his house for a party, and we're playing for them...in a week.
He's known about this and he's just now telling me today...I can't help but be pissed
But I mean, a show's a show...and it could get us quite a few fans within the school

I don't know...
Should I be pissed about this?
Part of me is furious
While another part is happy that we have this opportunity
I don't really know how to react
id kick him in the dick and laugh lol. Seriously tho id let this 1 go and if it happens again then be mad and tell him to knock it off
R.I.P. Kurt Cobain 1967-1994
It's not like he just intentionally didn't tell you. Like he didn't want you to be there. He just didn't tell you as early as you'd like to know. I think a week is plenty of time, unless you have a job and need to request off like me.
that happened all the time in the band i used to be in. i would get to class and he would be like by the way we have a show friday and im just like okay? thanks for the update. it is pretty annoying, but i dont know if you should be pissed, annoyed yes.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
it doesnt seem like that big of a deal to me
you know now
you got a week

its not like it is later that night or anything

if this repeatedly happens though you should talk to him about it

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Quote by Reaver77
He's known about this and he's just now telling me today...I can't help but be pissed

You've left out the second most important bit of information (after the fact that he arranged a show and didn't tell you) - how long has he known about this and not told you about it?

I'd definitely be angry that the guy had actually arranged a show without talking to the rest of the band (although I can imagine a situation in which the subject just came up and he didn't have time to talk to any of you before committing to it), but obviously the longer he's known and kept it quiet, the more pissed you should be.

I don't think you need to go for either of the extremes (do nothing/be extremely angry) - it is possible to calmly and fairly casually tell him that's it very cool that he got you a show, but that he really should have talked to the band first/told you sooner.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
It's unprofessional to book a gig without consulting your bandmates first, especially when it's your first gig. This can be for a number of reasons, but the primary one would be that one or more of the bandmembers may not be able to play on the night. The result is a gig with part of a band (not good) or cancelling the gig and getting bad marks on your rep (also not good).

If I was in your band, I wouldn't book any gig. You guys don't have a polished set down. This is just playing at a party however, where it doesn't matter as much how good your band is. However, don't expect to win over any fans on the night.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It's unprofessional to book a gig without consulting your bandmates first, especially when it's your first gig. This can be for a number of reasons, but the primary one would be that one or more of the bandmembers may not be able to play on the night. The result is a gig with part of a band (not good) or cancelling the gig and getting bad marks on your rep (also not good).

Unprofessional? This is a high-school punk band playing at a house party...Without being patronising it sounds like you're taking it a bit too seriously, just play and have a bit of fun.
If you don't want to play, don't play. If your singer gets annoyed, make sure you let him know why he's in the wrong.
Quote by kyle62
Unprofessional? This is a high-school punk band playing at a house party...Without being patronising it sounds like you're taking it a bit too seriously, just play and have a bit of fun.
If you don't want to play, don't play. If your singer gets annoyed, make sure you let him know why he's in the wrong.

A level of professionalism is required for any band to succeed on any level. If you think checking with your bandmates whether you can book a gig is an example of taking something too seriously, would it also be pushing it to ask them to practice once a week? How about practicing their parts at home?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
A level of professionalism is required for any band to succeed on any level. If you think checking with your bandmates whether you can book a gig is an example of taking something too seriously, would it also be pushing it to ask them to practice once a week? How about practicing their parts at home?

I agree with the points you've made...

...but the guy's band IS called "No Pants No Problem."
I think they have a ways to go before "professionalism" really starts to shine through.
Quote by GrisKy
I agree with the points you've made...

...but the guy's band IS called "No Pants No Problem."
I think they have a ways to go before "professionalism" really starts to shine through.

Unlike the punk bands with serious names.
Soundcloud
probably a tad of an over-reaction, yet i can still see your point. Just try and make it clear to him and the other members of your band that before accepting to play at a party, or organizing gigs, that they should alert the others and go from there.
woohoo a gig!
A perfect time to put your newly finished set to the test!
No strangers, no people who mgiht actually put you onto something or help get more gigs. Nothing to lose!

A weeks no problem. By the sounds of it, you guys are ready. Good luck
Quote by AlanHB
Unlike the punk bands with serious names.

your point is sharp, yet, robust.