I've noticed some PRS guitars in around my price range ($400-500). I was wondering if they're one of those brands who's low end stuff isn't worth it like Marshall or ESP, or if they're still high quality products. I havent seen any PRSs under $400.

Also, what does the sound and playability compare to? Anything like a Les Paul?
The low range PRS guitars like the SE's are actually pretty nice playing and warm sounding. I've tried a few models at GC and they all played pretty smoothly and didn't have anything wrong with them and they look good.
Quote by Metro Gnome
How's the tuning? I noticed they have a whammy bar but not a locking nut...

Alot of guitars have whammy bars without locking nuts.
The whammy is there for light touches, and vibrato. Not dive-bombs and Vai-like antics.

I like the PRS SE series, I think they're great.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Alot of guitars have whammy bars without locking nuts.
The whammy is there for light touches, and vibrato. Not dive-bombs and Vai-like antics.

I like the PRS SE series, I think they're great.

Oh ok... I'll have to try it out next time I go to GC. I'm just not very comfortable with a whammy bar and that whole setup. But I think they have a fixed bridge version
Plenty of SE models are hard tails. Some have price dropped quite a bit. The SE semi hollow is great for $499. Crunchy and light weight, great cleans.
Quote by Metro Gnome
Is it alot harder to change strings and tune a guitar with a tremolo?

Its a PITA, yes, but once you do it once, it gets easier from there.

Im actually trying to convince my girlfriend to let me buy an SE Singlecut.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
Its a PITA, yes, but once you do it once, it gets easier from there.

Im actually trying to convince my girlfriend to let me buy an SE Singlecut.

Oooh. someone's whipped

Can someone tell me how you string them and do you think it's worth it?
They seem to be just like fender strats, that not hard at all, just through body stringing
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by Metro Gnome
Oooh. someone's whipped

Can someone tell me how you string them and do you think it's worth it?

They are pretty much just as easy as a strat, hardly a pita. They are worth it imo.

Edit: ^ beaten to it...
Wait so the one's with the whammy bar is just as easy to string as a regular string through? I'm very interested in possibly getting an SE.

Edit: BTW I've never strung anything but my Ibanez GAX70, but I get the concept of stringing a string through, just not one of those double locking things
Last edited by Metro Gnome at Oct 5, 2009,
The PRS tremolo is one of the best non locking trems on the market much better than Fender IMO and there isn't really any extra work involved. Great guitars. I own some more expensive guitars but always come back to the cheap old SE. I don't think you can really go wrong with one. I play everything from jazz to country to metal with mine and I can't find anything that it doesn't do well. I'm so in love with mine I am actually saving for the real thing because I can only imagine how good a American made one would be if the Korean version is this good.
Quote by Metro Gnome
Wait so the one's with the whammy bar is just as easy to string as a regular string through? I'm very interested in possibly getting an SE.

Edit: BTW I've never strung anything but my Ibanez GAX70, but I get the concept of stringing a string through, just not one of those double locking things

The basic principle is just like a strat trem, yes. String-through-body, that is all.

I have a SE Custom 22, love it. Great guitar, great neck too imo. No carved top but it's hardly a nuissance.
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
I would say they're very good guitars but they lack quite a bit in every dept next to a PRS.

If you get some new pickups they're a very good guitar that can hold it's own against similar guitars in the $1,000 range.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The PRS SE guitars are fantastic in my opinion.

I have two SE's as well as a full custom shop PRS. Obviously my SE's are not as good as my Singlecut Hollowbody I. However that guitar costs 10 times what the SE's do. I have a Singlecut and a Soapbar II. Both do not have trems, but they stay in tune without any issues.

I have been looking at the Custom SE series and they look great. However I have been in a huge strat kick these days so that guitar will have to wait awhile.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
The SE series is great budget products. Obviously they've got nothing on a "real" PRS, but they're solid mid-level instruments.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I just played a PRS SE Custom today. I loved it. It was so perfectly playable and the pups sounded awesome. I think I'll be buying one soon. I just have to decide between hardtail or tremolo.
The problem with the PRS SE series is that while they're alright, other brands do the same thing for cheaper or more for the same price. The PRS SEs don't even have the carved tops which contribute a lot to the full PRS tone, while plenty of other copy brands (and hell even some ''proper'' brands like LTD and Epi) have carved tops for next to nothing.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Metro Gnome
I just played a PRS SE Custom today. I loved it. It was so perfectly playable and the pups sounded awesome. I think I'll be buying one soon. I just have to decide between hardtail or tremolo.

What Flibble said, and be sure you only buy the one you play that you liked. I've heard of some bad PRS SEs, but they are fantastic guitars.
Quote by MrFlibble
The problem with the PRS SE series is that while they're alright, other brands do the same thing for cheaper or more for the same price. The PRS SEs don't even have the carved tops which contribute a lot to the full PRS tone, while plenty of other copy brands (and hell even some ''proper'' brands like LTD and Epi) have carved tops for next to nothing.

Aw man, I was completely sold on these things and no you're putting a doubt into my head. Is a carved top really that big of a deal?

I liked the playability and sound i heard from it. They have a set neck, as far as I could tell, pretty decent pickups for stock, and the perfect neck for me. It actually improved my playing quite a bit from how i sound on my current guitar.

Edit: Btw I wasn't planning on buying the one I played because the store i played it at was selling them for $700. Musicians Friend is selling them for $450
Last edited by Metro Gnome at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by Metro Gnome
Aw man, I was completely sold on these things and no you're putting a doubt into my head. Is a carved top really that big of a deal?

I liked the playability and sound i heard from it. They have a set neck, as far as I could tell, pretty decent pickups for stock, and the perfect neck for me. It actually improved my playing quite a bit from how i sound on my current guitar.

Honestly, unless you have an amazing ear, you aren't going to hear much of a tone difference if even one at all. To me it's purely aesthetic.

I have to agree with the love for PRS necks. They're perfect.

I wouldn't let lack of a carved top discourage you from buying one if you think it will make a tone difference for the worse.
Quote by Metro Gnome
Yes, yes it is. The only time you won't hear the difference is if your hearing is terrible or if your amp is equally awful.
The easiest way to hear the difference (because there's a million videos and sound clips of them around) is to compare a Les Paul to an SG. The major difference in their construction is the LP has a carved maple top on a mahogany back while the SG has just the basic mahogany body. PRS are much the same; most of their guitars are mahogany, and their proper guitars typically have carved maple tops. It's easy to find videos and sound clips of SGs and Les Pauls so I suggest you find some of them to compare them too, you can very clearly hear the difference between them which mostly comes from the LP having the carved top.

Edit: Btw I wasn't planning on buying the one I played because the store i played it at was selling them for $700. Musicians Friend is selling them for $450
Never do this, for any brand. If you find a guitar in a store that plays well, is in good condition, is built well and sounds good to you then you buy that one. There is no guarantee that another one you get online will play or sound as good or be built as well. You can pick up ten PRS SE Custom 22's all in the same finish and every single one of them could sound and fell different. There are no exceptions to this for any brand.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I didn't like the feel of the neck when I played one, but for the price it seemed like a solid guitar.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by MrFlibble
Yes, yes it is. The only time you won't hear the difference is if your hearing is terrible or if your amp is equally awful.
The easiest way to hear the difference (because there's a million videos and sound clips of them around) is to compare a Les Paul to an SG. The major difference in their construction is the LP has a carved maple top on a mahogany back while the SG has just the basic mahogany body. PRS are much the same; most of their guitars are mahogany, and their proper guitars typically have carved maple tops. It's easy to find videos and sound clips of SGs and Les Pauls so I suggest you find some of them to compare them too, you can very clearly hear the difference between them which mostly comes from the LP having the carved top.

Never do this, for any brand. If you find a guitar in a store that plays well, is in good condition, is built well and sounds good to you then you buy that one. There is no guarantee that another one you get online will play or sound as good or be built as well. You can pick up ten PRS SE Custom 22's all in the same finish and every single one of them could sound and fell different. There are no exceptions to this for any brand.

I've never considered a carved top to make much a big of a difference as it does to you. I've compared a PRS SE Custom to lower end carved top guitars and the SE definitely stacked up to them tone wise.

And of course a "proper" PRS is going to sound better than an SE. They're obviously of much higher quality regardless of a carved top or not.

And doesn't Musiciansfriend have some kind of return policy?
Hmmm....now I'm torn. I realize no two guitars are gonna feel exactly the same, but I definately don't have $700 to shell out on that exact one. I'm not extremely picky about my tone, I mean it matters but honestly doesn't the majority of the tone come from the pickups and the type of wood it's made of?

I've played both Les Pauls and SGs, and I definately prefer Pauls but mostly because of the feel, not the sound. TBH I don't have a great ear for tone, which might be why I'm not super picky
I say go for it. You can always return it on musicains friend. It's a nice guitar for the price for sure
I hate my sig
Quote by MrFlibble

They'd both have to have maple tops. SG's don't. Every PRS custom model, SE or not, has a maple top.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I owned an SE for about a year and a half. I liked it. Nowhere near my USA-made Standard 24, but a good economy instrument.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Metro Gnome
mean it matters but honestly doesn't the majority of the tone come from the pickups and the type of wood it's made of?
No, and yes. Pickups only make a difference to your sound if your amp and guitar are high quality. Even through really great gear, pickups account for less of your tone than nearly any other part of your rig.

However, you are right that the type of wood it's made of makes a huge difference. That is why carved tops make such a difference; having a big slab of rock maple on top of the guitar greatly effects the tone. However it's a little more complicated than that when you get down to lower-end instruments. For example, there are various different woods that produce different tones that can all be advertised as 'mahogany'; so just because a brand's website says the guitar is made of mahogany doesn't mean much. Similarly, there's the issue of construction. A guitar body that is one solid piece of alder will sound different to a body that is four pieces of alder glued together. This is why, particularly for lower-end models, things like not having a carved top can become very important. You're already guaranteed to be getting wood that's lower grade than in the proper models, almost certainly in a more segmented body and perhaps not even the same actual species of wood, regardless of what the name on the website says. So it's important to get as much guitar for your money, every feature you ignore becomes one more thing that seperates that SE guitar from the full PRS guitar (or whatever other brand: Epi/Gibson do it too, as do Squier/Fender and LTD/ESP).

Quote by oneblackened
They'd both have to have maple tops. SG's don't. Every PRS custom model, SE or not, has a maple top.
The SE's maple is a veneer. So the comparison still stands perfectly.

There's also just the matter of not letting PRS get away with putting out a cheaper product. If LTD, Ibanez and Epiphone can put out guitars with full carved tops in the £300 price range, why can't PRS?
Quote by MrFlibble
Pickups only make a difference to your sound if your amp and guitar are high quality. Even through really great gear, pickups account for less of your tone than nearly any other part of your rig.

I don't buy that.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Metro Gnome
Hmmm....now I'm torn. I realize no two guitars are gonna feel exactly the same, but I definately don't have $700 to shell out on that exact one. I'm not extremely picky about my tone, I mean it matters but honestly doesn't the majority of the tone come from the pickups and the type of wood it's made of?

I've played both Les Pauls and SGs, and I definately prefer Pauls but mostly because of the feel, not the sound. TBH I don't have a great ear for tone, which might be why I'm not super picky

Tell the guy at the store how cheap you can get the same model online. That in-store price will drop real quicklike.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Dirk Gently
I don't buy that.

Agreed. I have always considered pickups the most important part of a guitar's individual tone. Wood being the next important. The pickups are what actually gets the sound to the amp, the way they do that is very important. Although i do agree that with cheap gear great pickups wont matter, you can't say that fender noiseless singles, Duncan JBs, and P-90s all sound the same.

AMP
Pickups
Wood

In that order.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Quote by Dirk Gently
I don't buy that.

+1
The tonal qualities from your pickups react differently from crappy amp to a good amp.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by MrFlibble

The SE's maple is a veneer. So the comparison still stands perfectly.

There's also just the matter of not letting PRS get away with putting out a cheaper product. If LTD, Ibanez and Epiphone can put out guitars with full carved tops in the £300 price range, why can't PRS?

Wrong.
Taken directly from sweetwater:

* Black cherry finish
* Mahogany body
* Flat maple top with flame-maple veneer
* 3-piece wide-thin, maple neck
* Rosewood fretboard
* Moon inlay
* Medium-jumbo frets
* PRS-designed HFS and Vintage Bass humbucking pickups
* Master volume, tone and 3-way toggle switch
* Tremolo bridge
* Includes PRS-designed SE gigbag
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Comparing a PRS SE to a USA PRS is like comparing an EPI to a Custom Shop Gibson IMO.

Compare a PRS SE to an EPI? No contest, SE every time.

But that's still preference in the end.

Also, as said above. Your local shop should price match what you found on MF. SamAsh and GC do this daily. I believe Sweetwater does as well. Buy the one you played that you like, don't order online. Individual guitars do vary some, that I totally agree with.
Oh no not MrFlibble and the PRS rants again! Hide!
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW