So, I've been playing for a couple years now and do my thing when I have a full couple hours to devote. metronome'd scales/excersizes/Arkansas Traveler(fun warm up tune, wish i had a banjo...), some free jamming, soloing... and jamming along etc.

anyways, my big issue is that for at least the first hour or 2 my fingers and picking hands never feel fully warmed up and in sync, and then after a little bit i really kick on and play so much better.

is there any way to warm up faster or anything i can do before I can get to my guitar that will allow me to play better, I usually only have half an hour to an hour to play at a time and I never play as well as that 3rd hour the night before, and i feel like the time is wasted out of my own frustration.

any little tricks, tools or recommendations of those hand squeeze things will be greatly appreciated.
When I get home from school, I usually relax some time before I start playing. I'll have a drink and a sandwich, spend some time behind my computer. This way, my hands are already a bit warmed up..
Then I do my usual warm up exercises (chromatic runs, weird chord changes, 3nps picking patterns) and after that, I'm pretty much ready to go..

Hope that helped..
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by RDSElite
spend some time behind my computer. This way, my hands are already a bit warmed up..

that's a good idea for relaxation but aren't your hands sticky? makes it hard to play.
I use a grip master to warm up my fingers, followed by some light stretching, then I play some Slayer........that usually does the trick in about 10 minutes.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
If your hands are cold, dip them in some nice hot water!!! Haha. No, really, it will help.

Do some stretching. A lot of people ignore this and go straight to chromatic runs and all that. Start with a couple of stretching exercises for your hands and arms AND THEN and only then pick up the guitar.
Quote by wise1man
If your hands are cold, dip them in some nice hot water!!! Haha. No, really, it will help.

Do some stretching. A lot of people ignore this and go straight to chromatic runs and all that. Start with a couple of stretching exercises for your hands and arms AND THEN and only then pick up the guitar.

this

don`t even touch the guitar for the 1st 10 minutes of a warmup, my warmup routine usually takes 30 - 45 minutes.

you need to start with your back and shoulder muscles the work your way down to your fingers, and don`t hurt yourself with the stretching exercises.

also you need to be in the right enviroment for practice/learning (needs to be tidy and relaxing, free from distractions....i go as far as turning the mobile phone off and informing peeps in the house that i`m not to be disturbed except for emergencies)
Stretch your hands and fingers in as many different ways as you can. Even when i do this it still takes me about an hour to really hit my groove.