My budget is around $200. I went to a couple of stores today, and this is what i found:

I looked at a Dean S2 with a spruce solid-top for $219.99USD, and an Ibanez SGT120 for $199.99USD. I really thought the Dean was nice, and i liked the low action and good feel of the neck. The action on the Ibanez was a little higher, but had a very bright sound, nicer finish, free pack of strings of my choosing, and comes with a hard case....but it wasnt a solid-top. What do you guys think?
I would say to avoid both and look at a Yamaha FG700S. It has a solid top for about $200.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FS700S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518274

You don't get a case, but you get a much better and well-built guiar. Dean and Ibanez guitars are all about flash and looks, but they aren't very well built. Someone at the Ibanez/Dean factory probably decided that lunch was more important than gluing your guitar properly.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
+1. The Yamaha guitars sound pretty nice, but the Dean's don't. I haven't played an Ibanez acoustic so I can't speak for them.

Oh, and never EVER go for a guitar just because it has a few extras thrown in with it. Spend the maximum amount of money available solely on the instrument, then strings, then anything else for later.
Last edited by LordBishek at Oct 5, 2009,