Page 1 of 2
You better do something with that figuring. I love lightly figured maple.
Good to see you're (somewhat) back.
A red transparent finish would be very cool in that guitar IMO.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
leave it without paint. i saw one like thast on the cover of guitar player. and it was super sexy
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
This is why-

When I did music live last year I sold my les paul in the pic below. Every gig I've ever played i use that guitar. REALLY wish I'd never sold it and ive tried to track it down but had no luck. This is the only alternative till I find it again-

Last edited by jscustomguitars at Oct 5, 2009,
Wow I'm suprised to see flaming under there, I would have thought they'd have stained that and called it 5A...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I say pop the grain, stain it either wine red or a dark blue and oil it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Its a shame that Gibson 'waste' their lighter figured tops and put it under that paint. IMO they should have an option on their guitars for high figure or low figure and the ones with solid paint, no figure.
Im really wanted the top to be as plain as possible but its still nice. The top isnt bookmatched, I think they've just used offcut two offcuts that arent thick enough to bookmatch. I like the fact that they dont match, its a bit different.

Im just gonna oil and wax it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's really not all that flamed. There's some light striations, but nothing that would look that good with a trans finish, I think. It's really quite plain.
That was kinda my point,

(I was making a joke about how the big companies exagerate the grade of the tops).

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's really not all that flamed. There's some light striations, but nothing that would look that good with a trans finish, I think. It's really quite plain.

Ah, I got you now. I thought you were saying how there isn't any figuring at all.
This is the kind of light figuring that I like to see with an oil finish.
Quote by David Collins
thedonutman - that one you have pictured is bookmatched. The stripped black one may be as well, though it's hard to tell. Depending on the cut of the wood, figure and grain can change quite dramatically from one side to the other after carving is done.

Do we both have the same understanding of bookmatching?

From what I know, a bookmatched piece should look something like this:

Whilst I agree that carving can change the grain, it shouldn't change it much at the centre join.
How noticeable are the pickguard holes, and would it be possible to fill them?

Oh yeah, and not that I will, but just in case I decide to in the future, permission to copy your natural les paul with black hardware idea?

EDIT: to the post below me: me too, and it's creepin me the EFF out
Last edited by I is be sexy at Oct 8, 2009,
I see a face in that bookmatched piece there O_o
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Quote by thedonutman
Do we both have the same understanding of bookmatching?

From what I know, a bookmatched piece should look something like this:

Whilst I agree that carving can change the grain, it shouldn't change it much at the centre join.

theres like a huge dragon on the top and satans doorway stands in the middle. lastly thers a face that looks like cerberus on the bottom ... SICK
thedonutman: It's not the centre line that grants the pieces the privilege of a good left-right match-up. It's about how little wood thickness you remove. Hence, the area between the pickups will match up almost perfectly, whereas the ass-area and the areas around the edges will have a mismatch that directly correlates to how deep the carve is, no matter if you look at the centre line or not.
^ I too have thought that. I have been staring at the piece of wood for about 10 mins or so lately and I can not find any differences between the two halves.
How noticeable are the pickguard holes, and would it be possible to fill them?

Oh yeah, and not that I will, but just in case I decide to in the future, permission to copy your natural les paul with black hardware idea?

EDIT: to the post below me: me too, and it's creepin me the EFF out

Permission granted, its the only way to go with a les paul custom as far as i'm concerned.
Quote by Robbo1422
I see a face in that bookmatched piece there O_o

Hermann Rorschach might have something to say about that..
Thats going to be awesome, i love plain maple top les pauls, plus the natural finish looks awesome.
Quote by David Collins
I'm going to have to say that bookmatched image is highly suspect, and most likely digitally mirrored. Even on the perfect cut of wood, with the thinnest saw kerf possible, and absolute minimal finish sanding, there are going to be some observable changes in shading from one side to the other. From the seam, to the spalting, to the runout, it's just too suspiciously consistent.

I didn't think it suspect because to me it's completely obvious and probably not meant to fool anyone. But I guess some will talk themselves into being fooled by anything.
Quote by jscustomguitars
Permission granted, its the only way to go with a les paul custom as far as i'm concerned.

Thanks
The wood seems a lot more figured from that angle.

So its got the finish on there I suppose? It looks good.
actually, i kinda like that amount of figure, it just looks cool
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Depends on the figure. Could be disease (spalted) or the wind causing it, if i remember correctly
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Oct 10, 2009,
Spalt is basically rot, flame (I think) is caused or at least affected by the actual growth of the tree (at joint between a branch and the trunk = more flame), quilt I have no idea. No one's really sure what causes bird's eye figuring but study of different maple trees indicates that it's due to stunted growth.

That last sentence is according to a google search so take that with a grain of salt.

edit: now that I think of it, I think what I was told about what causes spalt is that it is disease... I think I'm mixing that up with the fact that you can make spalt by leaving a chunk of maple in a dark, damp spot for a year.
Last edited by Issor at Oct 10, 2009,
Page 1 of 2