my guitar is a bit dirty and i want to make the body look new again. theres a lot of dust and foreign substances that i cant name. could you guys please suggest how to clean the body without harming the wood or the paint. thanks
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
Guitar polish and a polish/lint-free cloth.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
i like use planet waves polish
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
I use turtle wax...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
clean it with a DAMP rag, not SOAKED, DAMP! wipe down EVERYTHING (take the strings off because it's easier (body, neck, headstock, hardware)) with the DAMP rag. i use turtle wax express shine for the body, back of the neck, hardware, and headstock. for the fretboard, i use #0000 steel wool VERY LITTLE and then i was told to treat it with LEMON OIL. you can get MOST of this stuff at a local hardware store, but the lemon OIL, you will probably need to get at your local music store.

ryan wiesen (lildude_6859)
Use Cillet Bang!
It removes dirt, grease, and grime!

BANG, and the dirt is gone! :P

Seriously now... I use lemon oil for the fretboard (but don't use lemon oil on Maple fretboards), and guitar polish to clean the body and pickups. Lemon oil and the guitar polish are relatively cheap, and you can get them in guitar shops.
But, CAN cillet bang be used to polish the guitar? ^^
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
For the fretboard (if it rosewood) use furniture cleaner spray. Spray here and there and wipe it clean with an old sock or something.
For the cable plug spray Servisol or some other contact spray.
Ask your friends or salesperson in the stores for your local brands.
Happy cleaning...
- Enjoy a huge collection of funny pick up lines.
- Article Collection
yeah use some care kit. and hmm use lemon oil for the fretboard (works best with rosewood i think) oh and that's not just a lemon oil thats a name of a cleaning oil! made by planet waves i s'pose
and idk get some Formula 64 or something (by dunlop if im not wrong) and hmm get a "dunlop guitar finish cloth" a really good one costs 10 dolalrs but is softer than heaven! and is machine washable

and the final advice is Clean your guitar as often as possible.. with the Dunlop finish cloth/ just wipe down the dust and fingerprints
keep it nice and shiny strings!

ncie rhyming out there
Dirty guitars show character. At least that's what I say because I'm to lazy to clean mine.
Last edited by mihalo at Oct 5, 2009,
For body i use and very soft cloth that i humidify with water, and wipe it over, for the fretboard, i put masking tape on the pickups and i loosen the strings, then i wipe a 0000 (four zero) steel wool on it to remove all the dirt on it. 0000 steel wool is soft so it doesnt damage the frets or the wood of the fretboard.

I know a luthier who use lighter fluid on fretboards after cleaning them, it makes the guitar feel "more playable" (sorry i dont really know how to explain it =\)
Quote by Oosh.
Guitar polish and a polish/lint-free cloth.

What do you want to do, Polish the dirt?

OP, Get a Blitz Instrument Care Cloth. It is a fantastic cleaner for guitars for only $4. While you're at it you might as well order a set of string care cloths too, They make a huge difference.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=blitz+cloth
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Mason12309

But, CAN cillet bang be used to polish the guitar? ^^
If the guitar has a poly finish, it will be dulled. If it has a nitro finish, Cillit Bang will eat through it completely.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.